wiring inside the base

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by pushu, Feb 23, 2018.

1. #1 pushu, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    I guess I should qualify my post to say that this is about the iso3 quartermaster unit. I forgot I was posting outside the iso3 thread
    I hadn't used the quartermaster in a couple months and just got it out to do some reclamation. I checked the bulb before setting up the unit and it didn't work. I tried another and found that didn't work either.
    Upon further examination I found that all three conductors in the wire from the cord part were baked and so brittle that the insulation had burned off and one of the conductors had broken. I had to loosen the clamp and strip back 4 or 5 inches of new cord and cut off all the burnt wire. I'm sure this happened not from an overload causing the wires to get hot but instead the wires just sitting too close to the bulb.
    I would suggest to all who own and iso3 to check this and make sure that the excess wires in the base are pushed away from the bulb as much as possible. I plan to contact Rgold and explain what happened. Maybe there is a need for some insulation around the bulb or to use higher temp wiring within the base

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Good call. could also explain the burnt rubber smell and taste sometimes

• Like Like x 4
  3. My thoughts exactly. Plus, it gets really hot in there. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Eventually without any cooling in that lower heat chamber things are bound to fail
    Maybe BX cable would be better but even that has plastic insulation on it that will cook

• Like Like x 1
  5. I wonder if adding a few vent holes to the heat chamber would stop the excessive heat without compromising the heat needed to make the final product, temp wise?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Maybe in the bottom plate around the wiring itself

• Like Like x 1
  7. or a micro fan in bottom ie: small computer fan

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. They have those heat shield insulation disks with silverish foil on em. If anyone knows what m taking about. Kinda late for me so forgive.

Sent via my pet rock.

9. BX cable would only protect the wiring outside of the base.
    I contacted Rgold about this and they got back to me saying that they have changed the type of wiring they use within the base to be a much higher temp coating so this is not an issue with the new units. Not sure just when that change took place though

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. that would seem to be a good idea Stiggy... I was thinking more ventilation on the base but then perhaps that would work against keeping the heat on the product?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Asbestos would work

• Like Like x 1
  12. But vent holes right around the base of light bulb might just cool it enough with no effect on overall heat in chamber

• Like Like x 2
  13. Heat rises and air would be draw in up over wires

• Like Like x 2
  14. I took my like back . I refuse to have to pay someone to come clean it out cause it kills!

Sent via my pet rock.

• Like Like x 3
  15. But there has to be something they use to replace real asbestos then

• Like Like x 2
  16. Oh come on stiggy likes LIKES LOL

• Like Like x 2
  17. I kind of get the impression that we are no longer in the loop and are using an obsolete model that has since been upgraded and improved. :confused_2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Hmm maybe I should bitch more and ask for all upgrades? Let me know I'll get on it. Once I have time I'll check my base. I notice I have a red light compared to all your green ones....

Sent via my pet rock.