When is South going to legalized it?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by James5v, Mar 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. I have no doubt it was a republican........they're all idiots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Lindsay Graham, ( R lunatic, SC) has said he is ok with restrictive medical but is zero tolerance on rec.

• Like Like x 2
  3. The very sad part is even pot head in SC will vote Graham as long as he has that R in front of his name. The same as KY or any other Southern state. The crazy part is these are not real Republicans. They claim to be about smaller Government but instead they want big Government. A Government to tell you how to live your life. That you will do what they say when they say it. Taking away the right to vote on the issue. These are fox news Republicans not real ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Virginia just did! Yesterday, the General Assembly voted to legalize starting July 1st of this year, but retail establishments won't be operational until 2024. I don't understand why it takes so long when it has been done in other states much quicker. Until then, four plants per household are the limit on cultivation. There is also a crazy open container law that will go into effect, so I guess you will have to carry it in the trunk.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Hell yeah we did! First state in the South. I always assumed we'd be one of the last to legalize but Virginia has changed a lot over the past decade or two. Already planning my first home grow. *happy dance*

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Why, y'all just need ONE determined "Steel Magnolia" to rise up! Southern women can be a force of nature! What we need is another Mona Taft! She single-handedly got a MMJ law passed in Georgia in 1980! :eek2:

Flash Back: How Georgia Legalized MEDlCAL MARlJUANA :A ‘Tiger Of A Woman Takes On Conservative Georgia And Wins A Battle For Cancer Victims (news reprint - 2013 of a 1980 article)
    Flash Back: How Georgia Legalized Medical Marijuana - Georgia Campaign for Access, Reform and Education

Marijuana Laws
    A ‘Tiger Of A Woman Takes On Conservative
    Georgia And Wins A Battle For Cancer Victims

Knight-Ridder Newspapers

ATLANTA – Mona Taft listened in horror as her songwriter husband, Harris, wearily announced that he no longer would take the chemotherapy treatments he needed to postpone death by cancer.
    No longer could he stand to retch and vomit for five to 10 hours after each treatment. No longer could he take the pain.
    “He couldn’t sleep. The treatment was making him weaker than the disease. He was tired of the fight, tired of the agony. He just wanted to quit,” said Mona Taft, her voice and hands trembling at the memory.
    Then one day a sympathetic nurse took Harris Taft, 32, aside, “I’ve heard marijuana helps fight the nausea,” she said, “We can’t prescribe it. We can’t even suggest it. But if I were you, I’d sure get me some.”
    “Harris said, ‘What the hell, I’ll try it”, Mona Taft recalled.
    Neither Mona nor Harris smoked marijuana. They called a friend who did. That night, after one joint, Harris Taft slept soundly. It was his first full night’s sleep in six months. A few days later, in June 1979, he died. But he made his weeping wife promise to tell others how much peace marijuana had brought him.
    Mona Taft went to the capitol in Georgia, one of the most conservative states in the South, and began to lobby legislators for a bill that would make it legal for cancer victims to use marijuana.
    “Eight months ago,” she said, “they told me I was crazy. They said it couldn’t be done in one year – not in Georgia, where everybody is up in arms about all the dope coming up from Florida. One senator said, ‘God, you’re trying to get it out on the streets? This is an election year.’
    On Tuesday, the Georgia Senate passed Mona Taft’s bill. The vote was 50-0. Last week the House passed it, 158-6. Gov. George Busbee has promised to sign it into law.
    After the votes were counted, Sen. Paul C. Broun, D. – Athens, hugged Mona Taft. They wept, “You know,” said Broun, “my wife just died of cancer.”
    That such a law could be passed on the first try in Georgia, legislators agreed, was a testament to the perseverance and determination of Mona Taft, who lobbied more than half the members of the Legislature for up to an hour each, beginning the day after her husband’s death.
    “That woman is a tiger,” Gov. Busbee told aides after Mrs. Taft visited his office early in the session.
    (snipped)

Unfortunately, the law was written in such a way that it was unworkable, but the fact is, it was GEORGIA that had the very first MMJ law in the US! Not California, not Colorado or Oregon, but GEORGIA!

So where is the next Mona Taft? :confusedalt:

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Hey Granny, a wonderful story. In Kentucky other Southern states they don't give a damn about the sick and the dying. But they love Jesus. :bang:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Is the stds from “the villages”? Most dense std population in the world, as well as retirement folks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chalk one up for N.C., the Cherokee Nation. I sure hope this gets bigger.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hell yeah we did! Cant wait to get my garden going. Growing up I always figured we'd be among the last to go legal much less the first southern state all together!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ha, that was exactly my feeling as well. I wouldn't have been surprised to see VA become the last state to legalize. But man, Virginia sure has changed a lot in the last couple of decades or so, for the better imo but I lean left so that's not surprising. I didn't expect VA to become a blue state either.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Growers don't want the competition! Keep it illegal. It keeps prices high on the black market and growers in business.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. It keeps the jails and bail folks in business too. I used to enjoy the outlaw aspect of growing but as I get older, the thrill has worn off. I’m sick of hiding and worry.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. a few years ago i had to drive my aunt from her home in Florida to an assisted living facility in Texas. one evening i believe we were in Mississippi where i walked across the highway to a restaurant thinking i could get a beer and relax after a day of driving. WRONG...! we were in a dry township, legalize marijuana? ... with these people? good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. id move to a dif state if I lived down there

• Like Like x 1
  16. #59 alikprohor, Feb 18, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
    More than that, I will say that there is no downside to having full legalization of marijuana. Legalization would be the best solution for the entire government, and it's an issue that's been on the table for a long time. For example, I think, and in principle, scientists proved a long time ago, that the ethyl alcohol contained in alcohol has a much worse effect on the human body, killing its neural connections, which cannot be restored, while marijuana does not do that. Yes, there are drugs and crime in this country right now, but marijuana is not a substance that should be put behind bars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. We need Texas or Florida to make it legal. Don't fall the that shit about being able to have an OZ or grow a plate or two. I want nothing short of legal stores. I have little hope that will happen. I've seen no real movement in Sothern states. I won't live to see it. unless I live to be 200 years old.

• Agree Agree x 1