Third Organic Grow With Auto NL and Auto Stardawg

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Foxymel, Jan 6, 2020.

1. E528A648-9F59-4FD7-98E1-5C2C440A2095.jpeg F984596D-74EE-4C56-A45E-94F12886CDAE.jpeg 9252AFED-5788-4610-9BE3-988CDF550427.jpeg

I decided to start a grow journal. I started and abandoned a journal from my last grow. Possibly the one before that as well. This time I’m going to try to keep up with it. It’s a great way to know when I last gave nutes or training progress, etc.

This time I’m growing one each of auto Stardawg from Fastbuds and auto NL from Seedsman. I mixed up my labels so I have no idea which is which. I suspect the one with the roundish leaf is the NL. I’ve actually never seen such rounded leaves. I’ll know for sure when they start flowering as I just finished harvesting two and they have a very distinctive and strong aroma. My yield from this grow was just under three ounces and I harvested in day 54 from seed. I think the fast finishing time had a lot to do with my low yields. But I’m ready to put all I’ve learned both from a lot of great people here and from my own experience and mistakes.

This is an indoor organic grow. They’re in day three and seem to be doing well so far. No stretching. Both green and healthy.

Lighting: right now while they’re seedlings in solo cups I have them under a Viparspectra 300w Light. It’s really good for young plants. Next they’ll go under my new Qb96 v2 elites. I have two plants and one per plant. I’m excited to see the results of my first full quantum board grow.

Ventilation: I have two fans and I leave my tent flap partially open. I haven’t needed anything else. But if I do I have an in-line fan. I also have a really good carbon filter. It works great even with my tent flap open.

Medium: This is going to be an organic soil grow. I’m using recycled soil right now. They’ll be in solo cups and then transplanted into five gallon fabric pots. When I transplant I’ll be adding amendments. I use Dr. Earth nutrients. They have a lot of microbes and mycorrhizae. For veg I use the one for veggies and herbs. For flowering I use Flower Girl. Depending on what stage they’re in I have different amendments. Bone meal, blood meal, lime, EWC, kelp meal, Epsom salt, molasses. I’ll be putting 30% perlite when I put together soil for when they get transplanted. I haven’t decided yet if I want to build my soil from scratch or use my recycled soil.

they’re in a tent 32x32x63. Ummmm.... I think that’s everything. Right now I’m using the litfa method. I water when my cup/pot feels light. When they’re in solos I don’t water often. And when I do I water around the edges to make the roots seem out water.

I plan on topping both plants at five nodes. I’m starting lst early. Supercropping if and only if I need to to get a flat canopy or keep the height down. I’ll do defoliation but lighter than I did with my previous grow. I def took too many leaves. And that’s my very long introduction to my new grow. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. I’ll probably be transplanting in a week to five gallon fabric pots. And day 5, they’re doing pretty good. No issues with stretching or light stress. So I think I’ve got good light distance. I’m betting the one with round leaves is the NL. I’ve been spraying them a little every day because the humidity is so low. It won’t be for long though. I wish I had humidity that low when I was drying!

Not sure when they’ll go under the QBs. They don’t seem to be asking for more light right now. So I’m just going to continue with the litfa growing method. :)

9BC2B852-9910-4257-9409-9880DB93739C.jpeg

2653C37D-5048-4D74-9AE9-12BCFBC390A6.jpeg 557AE290-541D-446A-BF50-C0A309255107.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  3. Glad to see your journal - - I'm all subbed up to follow along.

In reading your intro, it was kind of "funny" when you mentioned getting "just under three ounces and I harvested in day 54 from seed." When you think about it, that's a nice amount of good weed to get in such a short time :thumbsup:.

I veg seedlings under a Viparspectra 300 too---they really seem to like it. I didn't move them under my qb til the 3rd week - - - I was afraid of scaring them. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1

4. Yeah that is kind of silly when the dispensary charges 53/eighth. That’s about $1200 worth of weed. A little less on the street but not by much for top shelf. But that will def last awhile, especially since I still have a couple of ounces of GG left. That’s better for night and the SD is a killer wake and bake. Thanks for subbing! I’ve been wondering about when to move to the QBs. There’s no stretching going on which says to me that light is doing good. I’ve read so many times people frying their seedlings under QBs. I’m really excited about this grow because I’ve learned so much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, the ones I have going now weren't getting any stretch either so I moved the light up a bit after roughly two weeks from sprout - - -they seem to be stretching more under the qb, but I had to dial it back a tiny bit cos within a couple hours my Grapey Walter's leaves were stressing (taco'd)---they quickly went back to normal (I just have a 288).

My pleasure to sub! I love that these plants progress so much in such a short time whether autos or photos - - I think that's part of the fun of growing it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yeah I keep hearing about how QBs are too intense for the babies. It makes sense cause dang they’re so freakin bright!

• Like Like x 1
  7. They’re one week old today. Still doing good. No issues so far. I’ve only watered them once since planting. I go by cup or pot weight always. I’m trying to decide when to switch to the QBs. With my last grow only staying in veg for three weeks I want these to veg longer. I’ll probably transplant soon.

E271B15E-BDB9-46A1-9857-D3E269210C56.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. They’re almost ready to be transplanted. Still no issues. After I transplant I’m going to put them under the QBs. And then I’ll have to measure lux. I’m going to water today and I won’t water again until transplant.

86221D5B-EA86-45DF-91A5-C42E9318499F.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. I love when plants grow so fast you can see a difference every day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeah! Last week mine were both around 6" - - I was gone all weekend and yesterday one is 9" and the other is 8 :eek:

• Like Like x 1

11. That’s awesome! I think a lot of people thing MJ is the most delicate and fragile plant. But they’re pretty sturdy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Not just babies so be careful. I’m still trying to figure out how to not fry my established veglings! But it’s nice to read you’ve got some good lights lol

• Like Like x 2

13. Yeah, I didn’t really get full usage on my last grow, maybe half of flowering. I’m excited to see how it goes with the new lights. How old were your plants before you put them under the QBs?

14. #14 Foxymel, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    13A92E8E-9B47-4D6E-BB7C-6461E9DF35D2.jpeg 4CB592F1-FC82-4028-9BB3-A3A316CD419C.jpeg Day 11 and they’re still doing good. I was a little concerned about the yellowing of one of them but it’s green again. The top pic is from yesterday. Bottom from today. I’m going to transplant in the next couple of days into five gallon fabric pot. I’ll be using my recycled soil plus amendments. They’re growing fast! When they get five nodes I’m going to top. And start lst soon. I’d like to start lst before the stems get so thick.

4CB592F1-FC82-4028-9BB3-A3A316CD419C.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wow, that really "greened" up again!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Last run I threw them in there early veg. Umm like 2-3 weeks. This time they were like 5-6 weeks and I had 2 of 18 get toasty. I really only used the 96’s for late veg and flower. The area is really too big for anything else.

• Like Like x 1

17. Thanks! Yeah I don’t know what that yellow was all about. I think watering probably helped. It’s so cool watching them change so much daily. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Did you dim a lot during early veg? Or did you use height or both? I’m still wrapping my head around quantum boards and VPD and PPFD. Ive never really thought about that stuff before but I’m learning.

• Like Like x 1
  19. The girls are seriously outgrowing their cups! I think the bigger one is the NL. At this rate I may be topping in the next week. I never know if short node distance is a good thing but their nodes are really tight. I always thought it to be a good sign that they’re getting plenty of light. I love my plants!!

8EBBF57B-6459-4817-BFF4-2EF76F8ED31B.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. I wasn’t able to get away with using just height. Once I took hooked up a dimmer I was comfortable trying to get a bit of veg time under them again. I have a good bit of headroom, it’s a 6.5ft tall tent. Pots are only 2 inches off the floor 3’s and 5 gal so you have an idea how tall they are, the pots. Still, fried them. I don’t really pay too much attention to vpd, and after chasing and finally getting the 1000 ppfd i learned I had to keep an extra watchful eye because not all strains like that strong ass light lol.