Study- "Efficient Seed Germination Protocol"

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Storm Crow, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Seems a little hydrogen peroxide might help germination, even with older seeds! The link leads to the full study.

Development and Standardization of Rapid and Efficient Seed Germination Protocol for Cannabis sativa.

Development and Standardization of Rapid and Efficient Seed ...

Abstract

Cannabis seed germination is an important process for growers and researchers alike. Many biotechnological applications require a reliable sterile method for seed germination. This protocol outlines a seed germination procedure for Cannabis sativa using a hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) solution as liquid germination media.
    In this protocol, all three steps including seed sterilization, germination, and seedlings development were carried out in an H2O2 solution of different concentrations; 1% H2O2 solution showed the fastest and the most efficient germination. This protocol also exhibited high germination efficiency for very old cannabis seeds with lower viability. Overall, this protocol demonstrates superior germination compared to water control and reduces the risk of contamination, making it suitable for tissue culture and other sensitive applications.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. #2 Sc00byD00bie, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Good find. The H2O2 probably helps by sterilizing and also mildly corroding the shell which maybe helps in water penetration and shedding?

3. I have used this with some chili seeds that I saved from a plant of mine that I had a hard time germinating.

I tried five and all five failed, using peroxide I got three to pop out of another run of five.

Sent from my phbgf uijj tplkjn

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. This has been my germ choice for years now. Cool there's a White paper to confirm my real world experience. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. How much peroxide do you use? Whats the procedure you do?

Sent from my M2004J19C using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  6. You use a 1% solution. For the procedure, read the study.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I use a shot glass. quarter filled with peroxide, and fill the rest with water. Soak it overnight till the seed drops when your finger taps it, then plant it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. They used 1% solution and soaked seeds for up to 4 days. I would soak just until tail emerges.

• Like Like x 1