Stuck between getting to pets? Post it let’s decide

Discussion in 'Pets' started by silliverm, Oct 19, 2020.

1. I’m trying to get either a chameleon, bird or a scorpion

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Three completely different animals, requirements, and possible relationships.

Most reptile people would tell you to stay away from chameleons if you haven’t taken care of lizards before. They can be very sensitive and it can be tricky to maintain the proper environment depending on species. They also aren’t really interactive pets, more something to look at like fish. If you want a lizard that is easy to take care of, stays somewhat small, and makes a good pet look at bearded dragons.

Birds are a mixed bag and have a huge variation. First, if you haven’t owned one before some almost never shut up. Smaller birds like parakeets, budgies, or finches are ok but aren’t great pets to handle imo. Cockatiels are a little better and still in the inexpensive range. In larger birds my favorites are African Greys . They are expensive and may very well outlive you but they are extremely intelligent, highly verbal, and extremely personable. We had one at my old job that would ride the cart around the store every morning and say hello to all the other animals as they were fed and watered. As far as taking care of a bird it isn’t too hard but they are some nasty creatures. All of them will throw food everywhere and crap anywhere trajectory and physics will allow. I love birds but after caring for them for years I have no desire to own one.

Scorpions are cool to look and it is fun to watch them eat but aside from that they aren’t all that interesting. I was lucky and didn’t get stung despite handling quite a few but have heard it feels about like a bad wasp or hornet sting. That almost definitely varies with species though, we had black emperor scorpions.

3. Couldn’t of asked for a better response lol, I think I’m going to take your advice and not get a chameleon because I’m looking for a more interactive little pal to bool around with, I’ve taken care of both birds and lizards. I’m more into birds as well they always seem to keep showing their intelligence even when u think there’s nothing left, I haven’t looked to much into Scorpions but your the second person that warned me about those pincers so I’m revthinking,

4. I have been pinched, it wasn’t fun but wasn’t the worst. I would rather have that happen than have a bird latch on with its beak. I just haven’t had one get me with their tail. I know they are rather different but I would rather have a tarantula than a scorpion. Still cool to look at and watch eat but much better to handle.

5. Ah tarantulas very cool, my buddy has one said the exact same thing. He explained them as being very easy to read something about giving you three warning behaviours. What about rodents tho i haven’t put one on the list purely because I heard they smell like shit

6. I never was a fan but some people really like having rats as pets. They do always have a smell imo, even in a very clean environment. They are trainable, and relatively calm as far as rodents go. A downside is that for whatever reason cancer is common for them.

Hamsters, I won’t own one and neither will my child. They bite too much for my taste. Usually because they are easily frightened. It can hurt like hell too. I would rather get bit by a small snake than a hamster.

I actually like gerbals. Still kind of skiddish and don’t always like to be messed with but not near as high-strung as hamsters. Not near as prone to biting either in my experience.

Guinea pigs are fucking awesome imo but seem to just want to do their own thing like most rodents. They are extremely chill most of the time though.

Chinchillas look cool but are usually skiddish and all over the place. They are also like gremlins in that you shouldn’t ever get them wet.

7. Hmm this has given me lots to think about

8. I like dogs and birds. I have two parakeets and they arent ear piercingly loud like a cockatiel. They pretty much hang out on their own and just need to be fed everyday. I allow mine to fly with the cage open indoors. They have never chewed anything not a bird toy or caused any issue. Mainly my male hangs out ontop of the cage and bounces around or looks outside and he eats, a lot. If you get a cage skirt it isnt too messy. Ive cared for canaries and they are super messy with throwing around food. The parakeets dont seem to do that much. I enjoy them.

9. Yes dogs are the best, unfortunately they are like children and require the love and attention that I won’t be able to provide :( , parakeets are also pretty cool but I feel like they are not as social as other birds which can either be a good thing or bad thing lol

- ya boi silli

10. Chameleons are highly interactive.... more so than most reptiles.

11. They are social together, id suggest a pair. Mine dont throw food everywhere like my cockatiel did, and if you get them as babies and can hand feed them, they will be much better with temperment and stand on your hand and not freak out when you reach in the cage etc. They do like to do their own thing, tho.

12. a 2nd year shrink student would have a field day with this...lol

go the scorpion, eat less, but can be an issue once lost!

why not a g/f? they do housekeeping, cheap