Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Recipe Refined coconut oil cannabis extraction.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by WeeDroid, Jun 6, 2020.

1. The recipe was originally butter and water.

2. I do it a rather different way though the way you have shown here works 100%

I put the cannabis and coconut oil into a mason jar, and put it in a sous vide bath at 205 for 2 hours. Decarb + infusion in one. Then I just strain and use.

If I am making edibles where taste is too obvious I water cure first to remove chlorophyll and then do as above.

• Like Like x 1

3. Thanks for sharing. Like your method, my recipe also decarbs. I think the longer cook time I use compensated for the lower temperature of 212 F of boiling water. Since most folks feel that 220 - 240 F is optimum for decarbing, it seems like your temperature and short cook time is counter to the general consensus.

Since I use the butter, now coconut oil, for cooking my water bath method is well suited for delicious edibles. As I have found to my detriment. Personally I like a bit of green taste in my edibles. Chlorophyll is, after all, healthy to eat.

4. Way too much bother.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Brownie report.

jist frickin fabulous. About 1/3rd of a normal brownie is a zippy zappy day indeed!

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Too much work? You know that you don't have to do the actual bubbling yourself? :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. I seriously do not have the time, or patience, to sit around and watch bubbles pop.

8. They will bubble without watching, just check once and a while. You can do whatever you need to do in the house while they are bubbling.

9. Thanks captain obvious.

10. Should have decarbed the herb in a dry oven, before you added it to the water and coconut oil. That's great your recipe worked so well and got you stoned, but there are more efficient methods out there (for non-lazy people). :)

For any beginners who might be reading this archived thread in the future: No need to cook 18 hours, to make excellent cannabis edibles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eh, it's not laziness to preserve more terpenes by doing it at lower temp in the coconut oil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Yes the general consensus is an oven at 240 but from a scientific perspective, decarboxylation is purely a matter of heat and time. The more heat the lower the time, but 200f for 100 mins has shown full decarb on lab results, as was tested by these guys Decarboxylation: Marijuana Alchemy - Marijuana Growers HQ as well as others, I believe there is a youtube video of someone doing the same test temp/time and a sous vide with the same results utilizing a different lab.

I prefer using a sous vide as it retains the most terpenes and flavor of the strain of all the methods I've tried (I even have a Nova decarb machine too which I don't even use anymore since starting to use the sous vide)

upload_2020-6-21_10-32-28.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. @Jemgomez can you clarify for those of us unfamiliar with the "sous vide" technique: Is the herb cooking in liquid? Or is the herb kept dry in a sealed pouch of air (which the pouch is then submerged in liquid)?

14. If I want to just decarb straight bud I just put it in a ziplock bag with a couple kitchen knives to weigh it down and put it in the water bath (Leaving the top unsealed until its almost fully in the water to help push the air out).

If I am doing an infusion into an oil, I put the herb plus say coconut oil into a mason jar and seal that and put the whole jar in the sous vide bath.

The herb never comes into contact with the water when I do it.

15. Gotcha. So you have not noticed an advantage, to decarbing before you add the herb to the oil? In your experience, un-decarbed herb + oil = stoned?

Thanks for your description of sous vide. It helps me visualize it.

16. Lets just say that sometimes when I lick clean the utensils when I'm done have led to 14 hours of not moving from the couch and my lips not being able to keep up with my brain leading to words in sentences being skipped lol.

I don't ever decarb before an infusion anymore. Hardly ever decarb bud anymore tbh as even when I do FECO using ethanol extraction I decarb the oil after on my magnetic stir plate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. I'll give your method a try next time! Usually I follow BnW's recipe. I agree a few drops is all it takes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Here's the video done by the guy I linked to earlier.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Thanks for sharing! So, he is decarbing the herb dry (before infusing it into oil or edibles), which is what I always thought was the recommended method. Sounds like you are saying, you get equally good results if you skip the decarb and go straight to the infusion?

20. #60 Jemgomez, Jun 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Yeah I can't tell the difference. Admittedly I've never had my infusions lab tested but the same amount gets me the same high.
    When doing Infusions I usually do 2 hours-4 hours depending on what it is, so decarbing happens fully along the way and I see no reason to heat up the dry herb first.

Wanna really get fucked up? Put an 1/2oz of herb into a 1/2 gal mason jar, pour a bottle of a good port wine into it, add some mulling spices, some fruit, and some juice to it.... set it in the sous vide for 2 hours. That will give the equivalent of almost 2 grams of bud worth for a glass of it. Or for the more adventurous users try a full oz in there.

One glass has put everyone who tried it on their ass for many hours of an enjoyable evening.

I do recommend for lighter cannabis users to either put less in there or only take small shotglass sizes of it. YMMV

• Like Like x 1