Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Recipe Refined coconut oil cannabis extraction.

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by WeeDroid, Jun 6, 2020.

1. #1 WeeDroid, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Well hello folks. I’ve had some bud trim laying around, generally frozen, for about 10 years now.
    So I finally got around to trying a cannabis extraction with refined coconut oil.
    Here are the results.

25B48D6B-48A2-4294-9A28-C226B57C866C.jpeg E8286535-EE54-4B26-B138-62956F7D766F.jpeg

Gonna make some double chocolate brownies with added dark chocolate morsels.
    Then I’ll probably eat one tonight. Might try some straight oil into my coffee in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oh!
    If you want the receipe for the above, just ask. I’ll post it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. What are you showing me here?

4. Mostly my kitchen and space tribe t-shirt.
    In the bowl is a water/cocanut oil cannabis extract that has been chilled in my freezer. The active components are in the top layer of cocoanut oil that has turned solid due to being in the freezer. The lower part is the water.

To extract the desired elements I simmered several handfuls of bud trim in 8 cups of water and about 2 lbs of cocanut oil for about 16-18 hours. Then I separated out the herb, poured the fluid into the bowl and set in the freezer to seperate.

Once the oil is solid, the water can be poured off. I then put the oil into a jar for storage. 5B678BA7-A6DB-4AF1-98E0-EB253E9EAC81.jpeg

5. OK, the bowl of water was throwing me off.

I am intrigued however... Why?

6. well, why what?
    If you like edibles, a butter or coconut oil extraction is very easy, potent and flexible in use.
    You can even make suppositories with this.
    I choose refined coconut oil as it was supposed to not go rancid. I’ve since learned that coconut oil is rumored to be more potent than butter.
    That scares me a bit actually.
    I generally prefer to not eat the cellulose component of cannabis and the water washes out a lot of undesirable constituents that don’t enhance the buzz at all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. No offense but 18 hour cook time is way too long. You're just extracting chlorophyll at that point.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Probably and no offense taken. Although saying I am doing it WRONG without offering better information is pretty slack of you. If you have better/different information, be a bro and drop a link.

I don’t mind chlorophyll. In this form any way. A quick look around the internet had various extraction times recommended for this method.
    I like taking too long rather than too short. Being in a hurry is not my style.There are a lot of factors in this sort of extraction. The amount of extraction that occurs is affected, to some degree, by the amount of material, the relative heat, the efficacy of the oil used, etc.. Additionally, decarboxylation takes place, and there are variables that affect that.

I’ve used this method with butter and it’s always delivered a delightfully powerful experience. If. I was running a factory with production goals I would care about efficiency. This? Meh. I’m here to enjoy myself, not run a race.

• Like Like x 2
  9. I meant why the water.
    I filter mine, twice. I don't get any fiber, but I have heard of people using water when they make butter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gentle heat is the primary reason, but the water extracts undesirable elements. Note the color of the water. None of that gunk will have any positive effects.
    So end result is more pure and concentrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. You did get me thinking however so thank you. I’ve always made Cannabis extract from butter, and now coconut oil, and added it to tasty food. It’s always been delish.

But if I were to add it to my coffee, as suggested by another member here, I may wish to refine the extraction time to improve/refine the taste. At least. Similar to how tea should only be steeped for 5 minutes. Unless you cover the taste (cream & sugar for instance) and like your tea strong. Chai tea is the same concept.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh
    Boy

First batch of brownies are in the oven! :gc_rocks:
    :ladiegaga:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Oh
    My
    Gawd

I’ve done it again. Edibles so delicious that they are dangerous. I’ve perfected the brownie mix I buy and I have a new counter top oven that I spent waaay too much money on. Results are a perfect brownie with that intoxicating cannabis flavor that screams at you to eat more.
    Must
    Resist!

I’ve had one brownie. That will be all for tonight. Science and all of that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I also use water if I make coco or butter. Keeps the temp steady and as you can see in the OP's pics, takes away a lot yack.

I decarb the weed first, then cook about three hours.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. #15 puddleglum, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Fair enough. Sorry about that.

Here is the recipe I use. 40 minutes decarb at 240F in a dry oven. Then add the oil and 20 minutes @220. (Optionally, and not necessary in my experience: Freeze overnight, then cook an additional 20 minutes @220.) For edibles like brownies, you can strain out the herb, and skip the lecithin.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

Longer cook time will give a more "sedative" effect, which, maybe that's what you're after.

I personally never use water, for three reasons: 1st, the temperature doesn't get high enough (water can only get up to 212F maximum). 2nd, I know from making bubble hash that trichomes sink to the bottom of water. 3rd, I find it detrimental to long term storage; gets slimy and moldy. Oil and water don't mix!

• Like Like x 2
  16. BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture, RSO

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes (Uncovered)

5 Grams of Kief or Hash Or Powdered Buds or Wax or Rosin or.....
    1 tablespoon of Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Combine
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (Optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (optional)
    Done

[​IMG]
    Second round
    [​IMG]
    Third Round
    [​IMG]
    And
    [​IMG]
    I think at this point I was going to stop so I did the finger wipe and bowl lick.
    [​IMG]
    Thousands of Capsules made and consumed.

Buds 1 drop = 1 mg
    Kief-Hash 1 drop = 3mg

(0) capsule holds about 25 drops of goo.

Water = Contaminate. Keep that shit away. Melts the capsules. Interferes with extraction.

BNW

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Hey Brass. I see you use 25 drops per cap, do you have any guesstimate on the liquid measurement of 25 drops?

I have 26 grams of hash, from a 120 screen. Very light in color, I am going to use your 1tbs/5g of hash ratio to mix that up today. (and 1/2tsp lecithin)
    I do plan on making some caps of varying strength to find mine, and my wife's tolerance.
    I plan to use this same concentrate for larger baking projects as well, so some sort of x Ml/serving would make it easier to ramp up.

Not sure that got my question accross well.
    What I would like to do is say make cookies with this same concentrated oil, 25 drops per serving is a little more difficult to build a recipe on than say 1/2 cup per 50 cookie batch or something like that.

Have you used this hash oil and ramped it up into more conventional recipes?

18. You pour the water out once the coconut oil/butter has hardened. There is no point in keeping it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. That’s very kind of you, thank you.

20. #20 WeeDroid, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    :smoking-rapper:

• Like Like x 1