Pre charging coco

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Mexicanhesdies2003, Mar 9, 2021.

1. When pre charging coco do I let coco sit in the water/nutes or can I make my pots up and just water before popping my seedlings in? Should I add perlite before or after pre charging? Using Canna coco brick. Using botnicare kind nutes. Thinking one quarter strength nutes and one quarter strength cal/mag for pre charge and first feedings. Sound right on that? Thx guys

2. Canna coco is already buffered........no pre-charging necessary.
    However, when I used bricks, I did put the coco in a light nute solution in a 5 gallon pot and scooped out what floated.
    The good stuff floats and the powder sinks to the bottom of the bucket.
    I find this to be true when using the brick as opposed to the bag.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ***OH sorry I didn't see you are using cannacoco bricks. like @MickFoster said I think it's precharged. I use botanicare and GH cocotek bricks

I do 1/8 str nutes, normal calmag (2ml pergallon) and pre-PH the water to 5.8 for seedlings. Using warm/hot tap water will make it expand alot quicker and more thoroughly. I let it soak fer a day or 2 at most, then hand wring it out into another container. I used to rinse it as well, but now I just give it an extra,extra watering the first time after I transplant into it and that flushes it enough. add perlite after.

I stopped precharging the coco when I'd expand it for a while, and I switched back to pre-charging because I noticed a significant difference with seedling and clones.

4. Cool thanks guys. I got it all rinsed with ro water. Believe I will run a light phd nute mix thru all of it then make up my pots and plant as soon as these pop
    Anyone ever grown cannarado genetics?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. That was a mistake.......never plain water.

6. I just used ro water to hydrate the brick. Went a lil heavy and drained it. Gonna run a a light nute/cal mag mix thru it now. Is that not ok?

• Like Like x 1
  7. if you use straight RO water it will leech umm elements from the coco. It's like the water is too pure and pulls stuff out like a magnet, coco needs some extra calcium at the least to balance out the cation exchange rates and stuff. Otherwise it will pull and store nutes such as calcium as you feed later in order to like umm buffer itself or something. I'm sorry, I forget exactly the terminology (it's been like 8+years), but that's the basics of it.

*better to soak in the mix initially to expand it, rather then water nutes in after wards.

• Winner Winner x 1