Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

is telling my doctor I smoke weed OK now in 2020 in California.

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by joel72287, Jul 16, 2020.

1. #1 joel72287, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    so I had a question I am seeing a new doctor on Friday and my new doctor is on the younger side maybe even younger then my and I am going to be 33 on next Wednesday just to give you an example on how young he may be.
    anyways I want to tell my doctor because my insomnia is so bad that I can smoke a lot of weed and I can do dabs and I usually only get about 3 to 5 hours of sleep if I don't I only get like 2 hours of sleep and I tried dame near every pill. and smoke weed. with the pills. one of the thing I am worried about is that I also got bad back pain and if they may make me sing a waver or not give me more sleeping pills or pain pills which I don't really like but if I got my nephews or if I go see them I can't smoke weed.
    well love actually I can hide it really well but if my nephews are at my house I can only smoke the vape pens at night when they go to bed so I still needs pills or if I get another Job I know I would need to sneak a pill. and no I did not get Fired I felt like I had to quit. for physical reasons.
    I should say that I live in la county which is hard on cannabises. and thanks for all the feed back I really appreciate. I am really thinking about telling him that I smoke weed so I can hopefully get some help with my Insomnia. that I have had for about at least 12 years.

2. Well I go to a pain clinic that is ok with weed too! Most drs are just leary. Some have come around

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Doctors are confidential if they give you looks when you mention it or if you don't like what the doctor says find a new one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pretend you flew to another country, some random person in the streets told you they drank alcohol last night.

You care about that just about as much as your doctor cares if you smoke or not. Only he's asking merely for diagnositics

5. Most doctors in the U.S. don't care. I always tell them the straight up truth. As long as popping hot on a drug test won't affect your day to day life/job then it doesn't matter and if it does, it's on you to make smart decisions. Legal or not where you are at, most doctors are well aware of the benefits of cannabis.

• Like Like x 1
  6. It's good that they have the information should something arise down the road. Be confident and rehearse what you want to say about why you chose marijuana and how it helps.

7. For 50 years I've told my doc about weed *if it came up*, & I trust him. If I like them, I trust them. I recently dumped Kaiser health 'cause they were/still are, ALL assholes there. Told 'em nothing, , , ,

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Have always be honest with my doc's about weed. If anyone needs to know they would be one.

9. #9 Sandspur06, Jul 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Just a heads up from someone dealing insomnia... some indica strains give me a bolt of go get'm energy for a few hours before finally letting me get a little sleep. I try to use that to my advantage because throughout the day I'm pretty much a zoned out zombie with fatigue and have trouble getting much of anything accomplished but i can't sleep. So I dose about 4 hours ish before I want to sleep, get a bunch of stuff I wanted to get done accomplished and then lay down and wait. I generally get a few more hours doing this 5-6 total on good nights and manage to get a few little things done. But my insomnia is compounded by severe sleep apnea. I did one of those "war bonnet" sleep studies and in 3 hours of sleep I only hit REM sleep once for 1 minute and 24 seconds. Apnea (heart stopping) wakes me every 26 seconds. Oh the Joy's of being a 35ish year old Veteran. Wha wha whaaaa. Dealt with it so long that I lose track of days and even years unless I check.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have extreme insomnia as well.
    Oregon is a legal state. There are still some doctors here that say "Smoke pot or take this prescription" They will UA you here and if you test dirty, refuse to prescribe anything. I know plenty of people here who have to take in somebody else's pee if they are on any prescriptions they are afraid of losing.

11. the only reason a doctor would need know is if your weeed consuption interferes with the medications they prescribe ... kind of like do not eat a grapefruit with this meds ETC......

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wait, let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly: marijuana is legal (for consumption and possession? for only medical use, or recreational?) in your state, but if you test positive for marijuana use then you can have your other prescriptions voided?

Please correct me if I'm understanding this wrong. That just seems so nonsensical and ass-backwards.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Yes, there are doctors who say " you have chosen to take your medical needs into your own hands." They tell them they have to make a choice between pain medication or sleep mediation etc, or cannabis.

I've never told my doctor because i don't know how she feels about it and I don't want to take any chances.

Not all doctors are like that but you never know unless you know someone else who goes to that doctor and tells you he said it was ok.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. SO yah I think Oregon is some what the same for California where I am at that you can have it for Medical and recreational but since some people was getting pills form more then one doctors. and selling them so some doctors make you sing a contract to say you wont go to other doctors and that you can't smoke weed. also where I live it's hard to find a Dispensary because I live in la county and where I am at there only a few delivery's service but some of tows even gets shutdown and if you go like lets say van Nuys there's a lot of recreational Dispensary's but very few Medical Dispensary's. and the differences is if you go to a recreational place and you get a bag of gummi's they can only be 100mg for the hole bag. if it's MD place you can even get a 1000mg per bag.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Is there a logical argument as to why your use of "medicinal" cannabis infringes upon your right to prescription medication? What if you admit to using marijuana recreationally? Does it still null and void your scripts?

I'm failing to understand why there's a difference between medical and recreational stores and amounts sold. Isn't all the same product? And if it's legal anyway, why is there such a drastic difference in allowable limits?

This legality thing seems just so unnecessarily fuggin complicated.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I'd have to say I agree. It really depends on your doctor and how they view cannabis and smoking or consuming it in some fashion. There are likely still many old school docs who believe it's bad for you and will say to avoid it.

17. My doctors love when I let them know about my real drug history.

They need that to navigate what they should give you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Same hombre.

My docs know my history and my psych let me go without an assessment knowing i was a heavy user of narcotics. They need all the info to prescribe the right meds, whether you like it or not.

• Like Like x 1
  19. #19 TuckerMad, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Marijuana can help you with insomnia. When I was a student, I was so stressed about the exams, that nights before them I couldn't fall asleep. One of my friends recommended smoking some, and it will help me to get away with stress and relax my body. It helped me, and I can recommend it to everybody that deals with such problems. As a phlebotomist, I can say that you shouldn't do it very often because it affects your blood, and with time it can create some problems or dependence, so you wouldn't be able to fall asleep without smoking something or drugs that deals with insomnia.

20. It always has been.

• Winner Winner x 1