Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

I keep having some weird separation problem. Pic inside

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by SammytheConfused, Mar 3, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

Two grams, one in each. I stripped two grams using 190 proof ethanol, heat method. Strained, then evaporated the alcohol off, leaving the concentrate. I added some butter and gently heated while stirring. As you can see, especially in the right one, there's like a glob there. It reminds me of an egg yolk. I added more butter and stirred but nothing. I'm continually having issues with stuff mixing well. Please help.

2. Pictures not showing, Might be the site as they've been having photo upload issues.
    I work in a bit larger amounts. Quarts of ground buds and Fifths of 190 proof.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TIncture step done I distil off the booze and I'm left with Tar in the pan. A few tablespoons of Coconut oil and a bit of heat blends the tar-oil and lifts the tar from the pan.
    [​IMG]

I transfer to my working dish, Add Lecithin and do a minor processing 220 F for 20 and fill capsules with it.
    My version of RSO.

I'd avoid Butter and try a pure oil. American butter is 15% water plus the assorted milk solids it has that might be the source of your "egg yoke"

Coconut oil and MCT oils hit in half the time that butter and all other cooking oils take.
    Lecithin acts as a strength enhancer and you get more bang per mg.

BNW

3. #3 MIW, Mar 3, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Try to mix a little lecithin in your mixture, add gentle heat and stir until the lecithin melts in. Regular butter has water in it, along with milk fat solids. Lecithin is an emulsifier that will allow the oil and water to mix better. That should do it.

4. IMG-20210302-145107

Hopefully that works

The problem is I have issues, even with coconut oil. This may be a butter issue, but I'm constantly struggling with the oil seemingly separating.

IMG-20210227-222714

I'd make bigger batches but I don't trust it. I don't want to waste material.

5. I forgot to mention I use liquid sunflower lecithin. Here another dose with letchitin, still showing the oil separating.
    IMG-20210227-222714

6. I bet you there's some type of food grade emulsifier out there for culinary uses, better than lecithin, one could add to make it more cohesive of a substance. Food chemistry /gastro stuff has to have something.

7. Butter has milk solids that will separate out. Can't prevent it, really. That's why it's suggested to use clarified butter. Just use the whole thing. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I don't know about any specific ingredient better than lecithin, but nano technology can emulsify, but then, at least for home use, cost becomes a factor.

In the op's case since there is lecithin I'd just warm it and stir before using it in a recipe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

9. The nano stuff will be the future. Companies infusing weed into WATER instead of oils or lipids. Cant wait, someday maybe able to buy some super-sonic emulsifier for your home to infuse weed into water..

• Like Like x 1

10. Yeah, but I've got to be doing something wrong. No one else seems to have this issue.

11. Yeah, I had no idea what clarified butter was. That was probably the issue here. I strip a gram, add a teaspoon of whatever and Everytime it has this issue.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I usually spend the extra bucks and buy clarified butter as ghee. It's fairly widely available in most larger grocery stores. But it's not all that hard to clarify butter yourself.

• Like Like x 1

13. IMG-20210303-215147

Here's what I'm looking at tonight. 190 proof everclear. Filtered twice. Hasn't even been reduced yet.