Gun Laws!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Token Runner, Oct 4, 2017.

?

Was owning rifles, snipers, etc meant in the 2nd Amendment right to bear arms?

1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    77.6%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    22.4%
  1. So what should we do about gun laws?? The problem of mass shootings is extremely common and painful to watch. First of all, I agree that people kill people, it's not the gun's fault. But with that being said, I'm sure that there have been cases where a person decided to kill others with an easily accessible gun before committing suicide. I would rather that person just kill themselves with some chemicals or whatever than take the lives of others along with them.

First of all, I believe in the 2nd Amendment of the right to bear arms. But we must realize that this was written by people who only had guns that could barely kill from like 20 yards! lol. They couldn't even imagine the weaponry we have today. Because of this, I do not believe that owning a deadly rifle, sniper, etc. was really meant to be included in 'the right to bear arms'.

An idea that I've been thinking about recently is basically only allowing handguns/shotguns to be owned by regular citizens, and keeping all other rifles/snipers/etc. in centralized safes that would act kind of like banks. You can store your extra guns there, then come pick them up when you are going to the range or something like that. This idea is simply because there is no reason a person needs to be carrying an AR-15 or 50 Cal in their house. I understand that only a very small majority of gun owners commit crimes, but this is a step in the right direction I feel and is better than doing nothing.

Guns also need to be registered and somewhat tracked just like cars. There may need to be a 3rd party involved when transferring gun ownership so it can be done right.

I believe what I laid out here keeps the gun owners at least somewhat happy because they can still own the guns and get them when they actually want to use them at the range. They have no real reason to be mad. They will still own the guns, they'll just have to keep them in a safe place. They can also keep a pistol or shotgun at home, so they will still have the defense they need to protect themselves.

Also, before ever buying any gun, there should be a gun test, much like a driving test. This ensures that everyone knows how to properly operate the gun in a safe manner. This can help people be more comfortable with either carrying a gun, or being around others who carry them.

PLEASE feel free to comment, criticize, or add on to what I've said here.
    There has to be a better way to manage guns than what is going on today.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gun ownership/control is not a public policy tool to control crime or affect homicides. Gun ownership in the US is an individual right. This is a part of the Bill of Rights of the constitution. The Supreme Court has affirmed this numerous times.

The 2nd Amendment clearly says that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (and a militia being necessary to maintain a free state). It does not say, "the right to keep and bear arms shall be dependent on gun ownership's impact on crime or terrorism."

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. The hardware is irrelevant since it doesn't do anything. The individual behind weapons is the issue. Until we face underlying moral decay, nothing will matter. Until gvt can take away ALL weapons from those who will not follow the law, they certainly have no right to ask me to give up my ability to defend myself. If gun control really worked, Chicago wouldn't be a killing field. This is just predictable democratic nonsense because disarming law abiding citizens is what they want. Seen any politicians giving up their security detail or tear down fences around their mansions? No. And you won't. TWW

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. I FULLY agree that it is a deeper issue with mental health/violent communities/etc. But if there were rules lie I described above with not letting people carry around rifles and guns of that power, the massacre at Las Vegas may not have happened. The guy had freaking 40+ guns! There is just no need for that. One man can only shoot at max 2 guns at a time (Dual Wield lol). I just don't see a moral or constitutional argument for the 'right' to own SO many guns. The 2nd Amendment was written in a time where there were no guns near the power of the ones we have today, and if they did have guns like we do today, I'm sure they would have made the rule a little differently.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Repeal every single one full stop
    No laws, no regulation, no background checks.
    For me, this is the end of the discussion and I refuse to even consider a compromise on the issue. Anything less is a direct violation of my basic human rights.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Good thing for all of us citizens, that that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.

If you can't understand why someone wants to own that many guns, you must not have ever collected anything in your life?

Obviously nobody can shoot that many at once...this guy knew it was his final acts on this earth, and probably brought overkill, because why the fuck not? He planned on dying.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Does the first amendment only apply to documents written with a quill and ink?

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. If more people carried scoped rifles that prick mighta got shot hisself before so many died so sadly...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. The alleged guy was a millionaire, even if we had strict gun control what's to stop him from renting a truck and running over a crowd of people?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Or somebody could have missed and hit somebody in another hotel room.

Honestly in that situation you'd need Chris Kyle to counter-snipe

• Like Like x 1
  11. Or ANY of 100,000 U.S. Rednecks

• Like Like x 2
  12. Gotta break eggs

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vegas is obviously full of vice and wickedness...
    A DEN OF INIQUITY!!!
    vacation elsewhere

14. The right to bear arms makes all these deaths OK. The only way to stop a madman with a machine gun is for all brave citizens to return fire. Make American Guns and Ammo!

• Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. "There is no reason for a person to carry an AR15 in their house"
    There are plenty of reasons. If your common criminal can carry whatever weapon he/she pleases, I should be able to match power and not be outgunned. Search how many home invasions involved multiple suspects with AR type rifles. Why should I be limited to a handgun or a shotgun? The simple fact is, in reality, a pistol round is under powered. We can talk ballistics all day long, but at the end of the day "your handgun is for shooting your way to your rifle"

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Super bowl events have snipers. Wouldn't be a bad idea to have snipers at all large events.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. It has already come out that he broke some gun laws concerning modifications, and he also cleared a background check to buy many of them.

People always knee jerk back to "CONTROL THE GUNZ!" when something like this happens, but the reality is you can't completely stop a random act of violence like this.

Guns aren't the problem, a nail bomb in Manchester earlier this year caused 25 deaths and 250 injured. The Charlie Hebdo attack in France saw a dozen people mowed down in an area with strict controls on firearms.

While it may have it's downsides, letting more people be armed rather than less is a much more effective strategy to limit the carnage. This guy already broke a ton of existing gun laws and slipped through screening, yet people somehow decide that more ineffectual laws that constrain normal people are the solution?

Try it once and it fails, that's a mistake. Trying it twice is mental illness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Very well put.

• Like Like x 2
  19. #19 Jane_Bellamont, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Considering how the right is always happy and quick to deny the rights of muslims, mexicans, transgender people, etc. following every major crisis, I seriously doubt they are defending the right to gun ownership from a Libertarian perspective. You'd think they'd automatically also be pro-drug legalization and anti-drug wars.. considering how the war on drugs pretty much ass-fucked the US constitution.. as di

Seems more like a case of 'Ban everything except for the things that I like!'. How can anybody take their arguments seriously?

I'd say, introduce gun control until the muslim ban, transgender bathroom laws, cannabis prohibition, etc. are lifted.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. There is a bit of a difference between a car and a rifle. Cars have a purpose while things like rifles are mainly hobby. You can also run out of the way of the car a bit easier than dodging random bullets. Being killed by a bullet is just so inhumane.