Growing in coots mix newbie alert.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Stonedmonkey93, Apr 18, 2021.

1. #1 Stonedmonkey93, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Hi Guys
    I'm planning for an organic cannabis grow and going ahead with a recipe I found online. My base soil is a 1:1:1 ratio of compost, peat moss and pumice for aeriation. My amendments to these are:

1. Kelp meal, ½ cup per cubic foot of soil*
    2. Neem meal, ½ cup per cubic foot of soil
    3. Crab or Crustacean Meal, ½ cup per cubic foot of soil
    4. Rock Dust, 2 cups per cubic foot of soil
    5. Gypsum, 1 cup per cubic foot of soil
    6. Oyster Shell flour, 1 cup per cubic foot of soil
    7. A handful of worm casting
    8. Boiochar, 2-4 cups per cubic foot of soil

Questions

1. If I should cook this soil mix?
    2. Can I use this mix from seedling stage to flower?
    3. Am I missing out on any amendments?
    4. What top dressings are necessary at each stage from seed.
    5. Do I need to add live worms? Prefer to avoid worms as I'm having an indoor grow in my bedroom.
    6. I have seen in threads and by coot in an interview mentioning the mix is meant for 15g pot and is not suitable for smaller auto in 5-7g pots? Should I be changing up anything for smaller pots nd autos?

Will appreciate your help a lot

2. Handful of worms doesn't hurt indoors. I haven't experienced any escaping. I throw a handful in each container when I mix it.

It's recommend to let cook at least 2 weeks, although I will say without something real hot like alfalfa, any established transplant/clone could go straight in with no cook time. I went from a 1g container to a fresh mixed 15g container with no cook time and initial growth may have been a TAD dark green but very very minor. I would recommend letting it cook for 2 weeks though.

Your mix looks good. Biochar is beneficial but optional.
    I would also look at adding fishbone meal to your mix and the mix is light on P and K. A good K source is hard to come by organically. A teaspoon of Langebenite goes a long way around flower time also

• Like Like x 3
  3. Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. This looks like a really good soil mix that should get you through a full grow with nothing but water only. I will caution you though that these super soils can burn young seedlings and many growers use a weaker soil while the plants are young.

Also "compost" is probably the most important part of a living soil like this. Where are you getting yours?

• Like Like x 1
  5. New sh*t has come to light...

I would suggest reducing your input amendments accordingly, based upon the "new" Coot mineral mix, especially the lime (OSF). Essentially everything has been reduced by about 2/3.

Official Clackamas Coot Nutrient and Mineral Kit

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. O
    Hey, thanks for that. I've been reading some forums where people are having issues with coot since it's too dense. The link you have provided is the new coots mix formula right? I'll follow that thanks. Also, is it possible to switch peat moss to coco?

7. Not recommended

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Hi, I really appreciate your knowledge and was exactly hoping u would respond. I've seen that the coots mix is not suitable for smaller pots. My setup is a 4*4 tent growing autoflowers. I'll be using 5-7g pots. Should I be bothered, or is there a dialled down version of the coots mix for smaller pots to grow autoflowers?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. I'm getting it from a local nursery nearby.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

10. Hi
    , Thanks for the response. I've came across in many threads that coots mix should be mixed with more aeriation if used for autoflower in 5-7g containers. I've a small 4*4 grow space and the max I can accomodate is 7g pots.

11. #11 WaldenInTheCity, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    It took me a minute to figure out how to decipher the recipe, as tad initially describes his nutrient mix recipe but not the actual soil recipe... so if I'm reading it right his overall concoction per cubic foot of base is say 1/3 cup kelp instead of a whole cup, and subsequently 1/3rd of everything else as well?

12. You'll be fine in 7gallon pots, it's No-till that would require bigger pots.

13. News to me! As an old 1/2 cup per cf guy it makes me smile.

I’m curious if this kit really only gives you enough for 3cf?

14. Thanks scooby, so can I use the same mix from seedling to harvest? Or should I be only transplanting the same once the true set of leaves come?

15. RD,

When you mix a new soil are you saying you only go with a total of 1/2 of all amendments or 1/2 cup of each?

My soil was a tad too strong this year so I'm needing to dial back a bit. I went with 2.5 cups per cubic foot per the easy soil mix for beginners

16. So u
    So Suggest to go with the original mix ?

17. Autoflowers?

OS has really developed a dialed in procedure for growing auto's in the no-till mix...

Spend some time here...

Automatics make good Organic sinse

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. I use essentially coots mix for autos. Check out the first post in the thread in my sig line.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  19. Beat ya'!

I thought you used the no-till mix/watering procedure?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Note the mix of 1/2c neem/1/2c karanja, so 1/6c of each of those.

Although I'm questioning the use of neem in soilless container mixes these days...

• Like Like x 5