Experiened Soil Grower Looking To Switch To DWC

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Firebleazies420, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum, though I have gotten a lot of use out of advice I have researched on here before. I have done several soil grows both with Autoflower and Regular Feminized seeds. I have had success with both and understand the differences between growing the two. After a hiatus of several years from growing, I have started again with with a soil grow with some Autoflowers as a trial/intro back into growing. They are in their 6th week and have been going well. 5'x5' tent, 1000 watt MH/HPS, 4 plants.

I am looking to switch to Hydroponics for the first time, specifically Deep Water Culture(DWC). My question here that I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to is whether or not Autoflowers will grow properly in a DWC system. I have been told by several people it may be too much of a shock for the young roots, but I have always heard Autos are hardier plants, you just see issues more with transplants because they grow that much faster and when you have a root stunt, it can really hinder the final growth. (This is actually something I have found to not be totally true, as long as there is only one transplant) This "shock" seems counterintuitive, though, because the roots would have the nutrients being that much more available. I have also found articles that don't even reference a deficiency with growing Autos in DWC.

I apologize if this is a stupid question or something that has been covered in another thread but, like I said, I cannot find a definitive answer to this question.

*One extra question, not as important. Does anyone have experience with using the ScroG method on Autos? Many people tell me it would stunt the growth too much, but like everything else with Autos I find varying answers.

2. I can’t give you a definitive answer on DWC but I can tell you my last 4 grows have been autos in DWC.
    I started them out in ph’d water until they start getting their first set of leaves and start adding nutes. When I doing my weekly water changes I raise my ppm.
    If you’re experienced and know what your girls need and what to watch for I think you’d be fine.
    I think most people say not to do autos in hydro because of the short grow window if something should go off and not having the experience to catch it and fix it right away.
    I can’t comment on ScroG because mine have stayed so short and bushy I’ve used LST

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dwc autos 20210110_212507.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. My autos thrive in DWC, especially if the Vapor Pressure Deficit chart is followed.

Most of us auto growers use half strength fertilizer or less, so be careful.

SCROGing is easily possible with autos, but probably less necessary.
    I've given up on it, and now just let them grow as they please.

Almost any plant manipulation procedure that can be done with regular strains can also be done with autos.

• Like Like x 2
  5. How many gallons do you have in that pot? Curious about your nutes and light type/strength as well.
    Really great looking plant, man.