Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabis vs tobacco

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by c&c, Apr 16, 2021.

1. #1 c&c, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    which is more harmful to the lungs ???
    is smoking cannabis bad for endurance jogger ???
    Thanks

2. Tobacco. By far.

If You're really worried try edibles,
    or even a Vaporizer will be kinder on the lungs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tobacco is far more harmful!

"Smoking and Tobacco Use" Fast Facts "Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States".

Cannabis, on the other hand-

"Drug Fact Sheet – Marijuana"
    www.dea.gov/druginfo/drug_data_sheets/Marijuana.pdf

“Overdose effects - No death from overdose of marijuana has been reported.”

“Cannabis smoking and lung cancer risk: pooled analysis in the International Lung Cancer Consortium” Cannabis smoking and lung cancer risk: Pooled analysis in the International Lung Cancer Consortium - PubMed

“Our pooled results showed no significant association between the intensity, duration, or cumulative consumption of cannabis smoke and the risk of lung cancer”.

“Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study" Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study where they found that "contrary to our expectations, we found no positive associations between marijuana use and lung or UAT cancers..... associations of marijuana use with the study cancers are not strong and may be below detectable limits".

Does Smoking Marijuana Cause Lung Cancer? (news – 2020)
    Does Smoking Marijuana Cause Lung Cancer?

Marijuana Use Linked to Lower Hospital Mortality in COPD Patients— Users also had less pneumonia
    (news – 2020) https://www.medpagetoday.com/meetingcoverage/chest/89242

Marijuana Smoking Not Linked to Chronic Breathing Problems. (news – 2014)
    Marijuana Smoking Not Linked to Chronic Breathing Problems

The Impact Of Smoking Marijuana Regularly On Your Lungs, According To Science. (news – 2015)
    The Impact Of Smoking Marijuana Regularly On Your Lungs, According To Science

One last thing, smoking ANYTHING is bad for your lungs! You might consider buying a good, US-made herbal vaporizer or switching to edibles or tinctures for your lungs' sake.

Granny

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. A tabletop vaporizer will kill off a lot of the nasty marijuana carcinogens, especially compared to a cigarette.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tobacco, especially cigarettes, contains poisons known as carcinogens that ultimately cause several cancers.

Cannabis, raw plant, executes apoptosis to cancerous cells and therefore medicinally stops the progression of certain cancers (namely fat cell overgrowth).

The illusion that "all smoke is bad" has zero reference as to how that makes solid cannabis turn carcinogenic by combustion. Inhaling gaseous cannabis, vaporized or combusted, is not carcinogenic.

6. Any type of smoke inhalation isn't good, but cigs are definitely worse than weed.

7. There's objectively carcinogens in cannabis smoke.

8. Name one.

9. Nowhere in the cellular respiration of cannabis is benzopyrene a byproduct of the chemical reaction. You can watch your cannabis closely under a magnifying glass in the sun and observe this. :coolalt:

However, if you add tobacco to your blunt and torch it with butane flame, marijuana smoke may contain 50-75% more carcinogenic tobacco byproducts than tobacco smoke alone.

The studies are based on false research of tobacco smoke grouping in cannabis under the name marijuana. If every control group of smoke contains tobacco they are performing bad science by naming their variables incorrectly.

This is the same Big Tobacco that sold you the YouTube science of how nicotine pods are at least 95% safer than the guaranteed death of cigarettes--using cotton balls and glass as a comparison to the human body.

10. On the other hand, cannabis helps your immune system to kill off lung cancer cells (and likely other cancers).

Cannabinoids Increase Lung Cancer Cell Lysis By Lymphokine-Activated Killer Cells Via Upregulation of ICAM-1 (abst – 2014) Cannabinoids increase lung cancer cell lysis by lymphokine-activated killer cells via upregulation of ICAM-1 - ScienceDirect

(So you can make sense of the quote from the abstract you need to know that “Lysis” is the death and decomposition of a cell; "upregulation" means increase; “ICAM-1” is intercellular adhesion molecule 1, the “stickiness”; LAK are the immune system's Killer cells; and “R-Methanandamide” is a less fragile, synthetic cannabinoid very similar to your body's own endocannabinoid, Anandamide.)

In this study, they explain that THC, CBD and R-Methanandamide, all cause cancer cells to become “sticky”, so your immune system's Killer Cells can grab the cancer cells more easily and destroy them! Interestingly, the cannabinoids “ignore” healthy lung cells, so your Killer Cells just go after the “sticky” cancer cells!

The abstract concludes- "Altogether, our data demonstrate cannabinoid-induced upregulation of ICAM-1 on lung cancer cells to be responsible for increased cancer cell lysis by LAK cells. These findings provide proof for a novel antitumorigenic mechanism of cannabinoids."

11. Some people are immune to the truth, I'm sorry if you choose to be one of them. I'm not trying to have a debate when the facts speak for themselves and you don't want to listen. All reputable studies whether with a bias for or against weed recognize that combusting weed will have carcinogens in the smoke. I don't even think there's anything that can be combusted without there being carcinogens in it.

Even if there are any studies out there that follow your conspiracy theory about them using tobacco and weed, there's plenty of studies where that's not the case. People with a pro weed bias have done studies as well. Combusted weed has carcinogens. You can't provide any reputable source of information to the contrary, because it's just not factually correct. I'm not arguing that weed is worse than tobacco or anything, because that's far from true. But right now you're just spreading false information like people who say "weed cures cancer". It doesn't. It may help treat it but that isn't the same as a cure. And when people spread falsehoods about weed it doesn't help anyone.

12. If you claim cannabis smoke is carcinogenic then you are under the impression inhaling combusted cannabis, by solely using raw cannabis, is somehow going to give you cancer. This is by definition what carcinogenic means--causing cancer.

The conclusive studies actually show the contrary evidence that cannabis smoke is in fact anticarcinogenic since the endocannabinoid response stimulates the lymphatic cells, as Granny so kindly pointed out.

Causing cancer and fighting cancer are two fundamentally different concepts for even the most basic of scholars to comprehend.

13. The definition is actually a substance capable of causing cancer. Not 100% will give you cancer. There's carcinogens in lots of foods too. But people don't generally accept that eating them is going to give you cancer. The fact that cannabis has carcinogens and anticarcinogens doesn't it doesn't have carcinogens. Perhaps they're largely canceled out and I think they actually are. I had no agenda other than pointing out that in weed smoke carcinogens are there.

14. Not a scientist or claiming any health benefits but take this into account. A friend works around possible fumes and undergoes lung screens once a year. Age is mid 50's. He has never smoked tobacco but smokes more weed than any person I've ever met. Non-stop. For decades. The lung Dr. always congratulates him and says 'Always glad to see a non smoker, you lungs sound great.'

• Like Like x 2
  15. I smoke tobacco in all my joints, Both ment to be.

16. I have a tough time believing that someone doesn't know which is more harmful , cigarettes or MJ .
    I use to steal my grandfathers Winstons .. it said right the side of the pack that smoking was dangerous .
    That would of been around 1963, After 58 years of tobacco health warning from cigarette packs to giant bill boards and endless anti tobacco/cancer commercials , who wouldn't know the risks of smoking cigarettes ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. just to clear things up
    i only smoked about 5 packs of cigs per year average

smoked cannabis only once & i roll it up wrong too !!
    so that may be the reason why i didn't feel anything

only 20 cigs in 2020 !!

so i need to smoke more cannabis plus 30 minutes jog to do a comparison

I'm using tobacco as a herb like pinch of salt for may be ?
    just maybe ?? hoping it has some unknow health benefit ???

like to try what people called ☇bong☇ seem to be the classic

18. Tobacco and cannabis have one fundamental thing in common that they are both primarily made of cellulose. Cellulose is a carbohydrate, or sugar, and is why they both combust so easily at a relatively low temperature (451 degrees Fahrenheit to be exact). It’s why you can smoke them. As we all know cannabis and tobacco contain other compounds as well (THC, nicotine, etc.) but when you combust cellulose carcinogenic compounds are created as heat and oxygen interact in the chemical reaction as it burns.

19. Also poison ivy and cilantro are made of cellulose but one reacts rather poorly with toxicity levels.

Combusting cannabis doesn't create toxins, as your body finds the plant in all it's beauty to be nontoxic.

Not quite the same story for the poisonous plant tobacco. Carcinogens arise from toxic origins. Ergo, cancer is a result from such exposure.

You can't get cancer from cannabis. If you add tobacco to your cannabis, you get cancer from tobacco.