Canehdian's livin' soil adventure

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Canehdian_eh, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Here it goes...7 years off and I'm giving it another shot. I figured a journal would help me keep track of everything and some constructive criticism could also come in handy. I am a little late making this but time is hard to come by these days..I am doing 3 plants in living soil and 1 using green planet nutrients two-part system. Strains are 1 humboldt seeds Amherst sour diesel , 2 greenhouse super lemon haze, 1 niagara's own gorilla glue #4.
    I wanted to compare the bottles to living soil because a friend thinks that bottled nutrients are the best way to grow...I disagree lol. I used the super lemon haze for the experiment. I know one run will not be a true comparison so this will be ongoing until he's convinced.

Setup

600 watt mh/hps (vivosun)
    4x4 tent
    6" Can fan/filter
    Soil was put together for black swallow soils by Tad Hussey from kis organics.

Ingredients: peat, perlite, fish compost, leaf compost, worm castings, biochar, blood meal, kelp meal, crab meal, feather meal, Dead Soldier fly frass, fish bone meal, gypsum, soft rock phosphate, alfalfa meal, oyster shell flour, Wollastonite rock dust, Volcanophos rock dust, and Huplaso basalt.

I also apply humic and fulvic acids, liquid kelp, fish hydroslate, malted barley powder and plan on brewing a couple teas at some point.

For the plant with bottled nutrients soil I used promix vegetable and herb mix with 1/3 rice hulls. Probably not the best choice but it's what I had.

This is about 5 weeks veg except for the gorilla glue which is at 3 1/2 weeks. I just transplanted 2 into 7 gallon pots today.
    20201110_223647.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. Not much has changed here...The Amherst sour diesel (top left) is looking a bit "brighter" than the others. Am I seeing an issue at all or does it look ok? 20201112_212920.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Look good to me. Subd. Looking forward to see where this goes. Planning to start back up soon to after layoff. Tired of these high azz prices!!!

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Agree, looking good

5. Transplanted the other SLH and gg#4 into 7 gallon pots and tied some branches down. The plan is to try a scrog out so I'm hoping I'll be ready for the flip at the end of the month. 20201115_214434.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Would anyone like to throw an opinion out regarding the scrog technique? I see a bunch of different ways to accomplish this and I'm wondering if this is the way to go. I don't like the idea of not being able to take the plants out of the tent for maintenance but I figure I could maximize my yield with a scrog. Any thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  7. I noticed some spots today. I'll keep an eye out if it gets worse but I won't worry too much...yet. 20201117_210647.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Instead of scrogs, I use "mainlining" also known as manifolding to keep my plants even canopied and the proper shape. It does add a little time to Veg, but I personally love the way they flower like this.

If you are interested you should look into nugbuckets or nebulas mainlining techniques. Slightly different but same end result.

9. This was one of my last Rhino's mainlined for 8 even tops. No scrog net used and all the training was front end load in veg.

20200107_113129.jpg 20200107_113204.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you still wanted to use the scrog with the mainlining, I would shoot for 16 tops into the net. Have seen others have great results combining the 2 techniques. There is also a technique called 4-way lst that is supposed to work well for scrogs too.

11. Thanks shnicken! I am kind of doing my own version of a mainline. I have always topped and wanted to try just bending them over because I always noticed the growth really slow down while recovering from topping. I may scrap the scrog idea just to make it easier for maintenance on them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I agree with the slow down from topping, but I also like that it keeps everything nice and even, plus easy to work with and lst. I have 4 plants in my new tent to work with so I'm thinking I may do something a bit different with all of them and see what I like best.

Wouldn't mind trying a scrog sometime just to see how it goes but seems like kind of PITA to setup and deal with.

13. Still cruising here...I added a couple ufo led's I had sitting around. I think I want to upgrade my lighting setup, any suggestions? 20201125_213507.jpg
    The growth on the SLH that I am giving bottled nutes has been real slow. I'm convinced that it's the medium so I won't judge too much. I probably water once a week with these 7 gallon pots. Does this seem about right?

14. "I just flipped the switch" 20201130_215337.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. #15 Canehdian_eh, Dec 13, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    Things are moving right along....Amherst sour deisel (back right) has always looked droopy and I'm not going to lie, it drives me nuts! I Also noticed some tips of the fan leaves pointing down on the others. Besides that I can't complain. 20201211_214235.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Week 2. I gave them an aerated tea with kelp meal, alfalfa meal, compost, ewc, molasses, and fish hydroslate and they seem to have loved it.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. 4th week of flowering now. The buds are a bit smaller than I would have thought at this point but that is based on comparisons on the internet from other grows. I was always after taste before yield so I won't stress too much. 20201226_214244.jpg

18. I'm almost at 8 weeks now. Slh and Amherst sour diesel are looking and smelling good. The sour deisel had a few bananas show up a few days ago so I plucked them off and have not seen anything since. My gorilla glue is pathetic. It's supposed to finish around now and it looks like it might yeild around 5 grams.
    I'm investing in some environmental controls as I am battling low humidity and temperatures. I have also started a veg tent and have the same issues with temps and humidity. The seedlings are two weeks old and look like they are on day 7 so I desperately need the environment under control. 20210121_221651.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scrog works well with leds and small spaces. I used for my first grow

Kush's man cave