20 L Rotovap advice ...Newbie labs

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by Reggae boy, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Hey seeking Advice on the rotovap I bought ..got it as a sweet deal minus the pump and chiller.Can I use a smaller chiller for now than the one recommended ..until I can afford the one for 6k.....

2. That all depends on what your application is. I run a 2l roto for tincture processing. I don't use a chiller. Vacume pump to out it under negative pressure. And then run the condenser off of city water or in my case a 50 gallon barrel with a recirculating pump.

3. That's genius brother ...all the sales people have been telling me I need a chiller that goes well under -20.....if I could diy a chiller I will .

4. Get a vacume pump. Working with negative pressure lowers the boiling point. Therefore lowering the power needed and the cooling delta to be smaller. Meaning no need for a chiller. Assuming your working with alcohol or water. If you're doing dry distilling then you need a different setup and you will.need a chiller for that.

5. Yes yak ...I'm wrkig with alcohol..ethanol and sometimes Iso.First time using a Vap so wanna make sure I'm not going to fail
    ..what pump would you recommend for a large capacity rotovap?.

Thanks for your help guys !

6. Ok perfect. Ok lest start with some basics. Have you distilled before?

You can get a hard pump ( high power ) used in the heating cooling /refrigeration industry for a few hundred dollars. Or get a water aspetator vacume pump (soft vacume) Which is cheaper sometimes.

I use a water aspetator pump. Hell you can easily make one if your handy.

Don't use iso. Iso isn't safe for consumption , and now that you have a still there is no reason to use it. Buy cheap vodka, ever clear or similar if you can. The higher the proof the better. Distil it a few times to bring the proof up and you have your solvent. And the nice thing with using a rotovap is you reclaim the alcohol you use. So very minimal is lost.

7. I have never used a rotovap before ...I've made honey oil the old method using Pyrex and a water bath .a now I decides to go modern ....a few pointer would help for sure....What if I'm running through let's say 30 pounds of material ..wouldn't the vodka be more expensive as a solvent ?

P.s You're a God send Brother ..

8. I have a ton of material so solvent purchasing especially in canad can be quite expensive.

9. Same boat brother, I'm working now at the moment, but will do a simple set of opperating procedures tonight. Pm me if I forget and don't post.