Yoda's bubble cloner

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Yoda, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Can you reveg the plants these cuts came from?  If so I would and start over with cloning them. 

When you take your cuttings cut them off of the plant longer than the cutting you will clone.  Trim off all but 3 or 4 leaves and cut off half of each blade of the largest leaves so there isn't too much leaf for it to support without roots.  Strip any other leaves lower on the stem.  Cut the stem on a 45 degree angle a couple of nodes down the stem.  As quickly as possible, dip it in cloning GEL, not liquid or powder!  It isn't necessary to scrape the stem.  Just cut it and dip it in the gel and put it in a neoprene EZ Clone type cloning disc and put that in the cloner.  I do my damnedest to get the stem down IN the water at least far enough to cover the cut end.  I use well water with a ppm of about 250 to 260 and a ph of 7 +/-.  They usually have roots within 10 days, unless it is cold.  Then it takes a little longer.  I have a nearly 100% success rate.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes. At this point I've basically removed all the undergrowth on the 2 girls and have run out of pieces I'm willing to experiment with. This is plan B and will go into effect.

Once they reveg and get to the appropriate size I will try this again.

3. Well I didn't win the lottery but it sure feels like it.

Out of the 10 so far 2 have died. I believe the one I thought that was dead before was in fact dead. I pulled another to make room for the germinating in hydroton experiment. I can see the white tip emerging from the seed today.

Onto the good news! The remaining 8 are still going and 3 have visible roots and 1 other I believe is about to have visible roots. It appears to have white bumps forming on the stem.
    It's been 7 days since I recut and dipped them but its hard to put a real time on these as I was really bad at keeping track. Way too many variables. I will do a better job documenting next go around.

View attachment 1375064
    View attachment 1375065
    View attachment 1375066
    View attachment 1375067

So what's next? I pH tested the box and it was at 6.0.

Since these are showing some roots should I add some veg nutes then continue to let them hang freely and grow more roots or put into the tiny cups with some hydroton?

4. I had roots about 4 inches long and then went into a net pot, hydroton and into full strength solution.

love my bubble cloner. its the shit.

5. Mostly looking good!  Steady on!

As soon as they all have roots I give mine a 1/4 strength dose of nutes and let them grow their roots to about 4" or more.  Longer is no problem if you are going into larger, like 6" to 8", net pots. 

When I put seeds in Hydroton I fill the pot up to about an inch or a little more from the top.  Then I put a layer of the smallest Hydroton pellets in to make a bed the seed won't fall through.  (With the bigger pellets the space between them may be large enough to allow the seed to fall way too deep.)  Then I put in a seed and cover it with another layer of small pellets.  Then I cover the whole thing with a neoprene cloning disc to block light.  Sprat it with some water a couple of times a day it it is getting dry on top.  Fill the cloner or whatever you are doing it in with water up to about an inch and a half below the seed.  This works!  Good luck!

6. #306 The Letter 3, Feb 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
    Just an update on cloning progress and a couple more questions lol.

Here is the biggest roots so far.
    View attachment 1377158

I had a space in my homemade veg box so I went ahead and transplanted this to a netpot with hydroton. View attachment 1377165

Basically laid down a small layer of balls then set the cut in and poured more over the rest.

Questions and comments...

I assume the cloner works to promote root development due to the high humidity,warmer air, and increased water temp from the heater. Will vegetational growth occur in this environment?

I believe it will but the environmental conditions given will cause more root development than leaf growth?

I've got everything extra I need to move everything around and am trying to discern if I can leave the remaining cuts where they are or if they too need to be relocated for vegetation. If they don't need to be moved should I disconnect the heater in the reservoir and just use their current home to continue their growth? View attachment 1377168

Thanks in advance you guys are so helpful.

7. If you have sprayers in there going periodically full time so the roots don't stop dripping they'll do just fine.  Or you could go on to DWC in theer.

8. #308 DeeWeed34, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2015
    Great thread everyone. I really enjoyed sitting and reading all the great info in here. I kind of took a little info from a lot of people that built bubble cloners and made one of my own. Just took my clones yesterday, so far so good. One question I am confused on, some people say to put the air pump on timer and have it running on intervals, others say it is hydro, and to just leave the air pumps run 24/7 like any other hydro. Which one is the best way to go?

Attached Files:

9. let them run, more humidity is better, You shouldn't need the lid either ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. #310 jimmifader, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    great thread, thanks for the guidance!!

11. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I'm 71 and always air root. It doesn't always work. So I made a bubble cloner! Started 6 clones on Sunday so next Sunday I'll let you know how I did.

12. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I'm 71 and always air root. It doesn't always work. So I made a bubble cloner! Started 6 clones on Sunday so next Sunday I'll let you know how I did.

• Like Like x 2
  13. im sure making one of these will be in my future,,,i got most of the hardware allready,,

14. I know this thread is old but i had to share the one i made yesterday. Just to see if it works i cloned 2 males. We shall see! 20191017_043508.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nice job @tappy, thanks for sharing! :cool:

IME, Yoda's cloner works really well. Let us know how it works for you. :)

16. Sent from my SM-G935V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  17. #318 DaPhats, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    I just want to add that I made one of these and I love it. I've had 100% success so far, granted it's only been about 10 clones.. I absolutely love the set it and forget it aspect. I'm never going back to any other method.

I even tried it with regular tap water as a test and they all rooted. ;)

EDIT: After using this for over a year it's amazing. I've used it on about 50 clones with 100% success. Wow.

18. Any tips before I begin building one ?

going to follow instructions but use a 3.5 gal bucket because I found a a or made top w pucks and nets already in it.

• Like Like x 1