Winterization Techniques For Bho

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by mynameisEarrrl, Jun 30, 2014.

1. #1 mynameisEarrrl, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2014
    I am very interested in the winterizing of butane extractions. My question is this; As 190 proof alcohol is illegal in my state, [as in many others], what else can be used as the 2nd [polar] solvent to take the bho from a "concrete" to an "absolute".  I have found this question posted on numerous forums but with no real answers. Comments tend to degrade to other methods or techniques or various negative comments. Extracts and concentrates are a serious and rising issue in the cannabis community so real and sincere information is sorely needed. Knowledgeable info given from love would be much appreciated! No haters please! The world is big enough to accommodate us all!  Peace, Light and Love! Earrrl :smoking:

2. Can't you use food grade ethanol?? People in the wine industry use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. unless you buy proper ethanol, it will most likely contain sugars that are not good to smoke.

Look into single-solvent winterization/dewaxing if you dont want to be smoking sugars, theres a thread for it somewhere

4. #4 mynameisEarrrl, Jul 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
    I was looking for a single solvent to use. Ethanol in the form of the grain alcohol Everclear, is the most common thing mentioned, except it is illegal and unavailable in my state. there were lots of alternatives I found to use in the initial extraction instead of butane. but they all seemed a lot more sketchier and would not work as well. There are a number of non-polar solvents mentioned but nothing I could find on polar solvents that would be acceptable for use. Thanx 4 the reply....Peace! :smoke:

5. thanx! i'll check it out!! Peace!

6. I just told you it has sugars...

and also, a true winterization is characterized by a non-polar extraction(butane/propane) and then dissolved into a polar solvent like ethanol to precipitate contaminants.