winterization failed

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by thaddius, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Hi there. Winterization looks pretty straight forward. However when dissolving BHO in ethanol, after freezing, everything froze. The jar looks like some green brown butter consistency with no liquid layer at all. An ounce of alcohol was used fro 5g of shatter. What went wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Many things could if went wrong. First, 15ml per gram of oil. Some like 10 I prefer 15 when its really dark.
    -boil water over a electric stove.
    -add mason jar with virgin solvent. Capp off.
    -wait two minutes
    -add concentration.
    -close lid and shake.
    -open lid and boil mason jar for a few seconds.
    - close lid and shake again. keep repeating this until you see no more sediments in the solution.
    -winterize at -40 for 24 hours or until the fats cogulate together looking sorts milkish.
    -use whatman 1 filter in Buchner and read how to use one of these correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Hmmm. Never heard of that. Probably need more alcohol to change its viscosity enough to filter the particulate out. 5grams into an Oz is rather concentrated compared to my typical ratios. I think I'm closer to 5oz for 2-4g batches. I've never measured the everclear but know it's more than a couple shots worth.

You filter the waxes with a winterization, but there's cannibinoids that remain in the filtered waxes. You'll get a less irritating toke, but you'll lose a bit of the good stuff too. I rarely winterize anymore.

4. If you filter correctly than you won't lose the cannabinoids in the slurry bed of the filter. Waxes are white to low tint gray. Sorta ashy. No smell. On the flip side you are correct with losing most of the profile and not getting the full entourage effect. The reason using heavier hydrocarbons (ethanol, heptane, etc) as a solvent. IMG_0777.JPG
    This is winterized correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. txs guys! I'll try adding more alcohol and see what that does