Why do you (as a christian) smoke weed?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by RVD420RVD, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Some Christians do and some say it's a sin and don't, do you feel it's a sin?

-Atheist, stay off this thread as it does not concern you

2. i feel my existence was a syn before this herb , this herb has just helped me understand why my existence has to be a sin

3. Genesis 9:3
    Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Pretty self explanatory.

4. Because they are hypocrites and that's the truth (except medical users, well some anyways).

[​IMG]

5. Belligerent drunkenness = stupidity.

Using marijuana = a sense of enlightenment.. quite the opposite.

It says in the first book that every green herb was made and given to man. I could see possibly about smoking it since smoke is harmful to the lungs, but there are plenty of other ways to ingest it that's completely harmless..

6. Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For \t\tthere is no authority except from God, and those which exist are \t\testablished by God. Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the \t\tordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation \t\tupon themselves. (Romans 13:1-2)

7. Haha touche

8. And I will raise up for them a plant of renown, and they shall be no more consumed with hunger in the land, neither bear the shame of the heathen any more. -- Ezekiel 34:29

And because it's brought my relationship with God closer.

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
    31 God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning—the sixth day.

9. Don't you mean "AtheistS and members of literally every religion out there stay out"?
    There's more than 1 religion in the world…

Plus I'm pretty sure Rastafari is a sub-sect of Christianity

10. Stay out.. ;)

11. Can I say one more thing?
    It's constructive and contributive I swear…

Dante Alighieri's Inferno isn't exactly christian doctrine, but a LOT (in my experience anyways, even my family) talk about it as if it were, the seven deadly sins and what not…

Would not marijuana usage constitute, via the munchies, a breach of the sin of gluttony?
    Or would you view that as more a test of will, like Jesus' walk through the desert?

12. I was joking fool. But I couldn't tell you. I think it could be - and a very tempting sin at that.

13. I find it funny how some people conveniently quote the Bible literally on some issues but ignore others. You either dismiss the Bible or follow everything in it. You can't choose a small piece of the Bible to suit your views and disregard all others. That would be a contradiction and dishonest.

14. #15 Deleted member 394727, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    delete

15. [quote name='"PeruvianDank"']I find it funny how some people conveniently quote the Bible literally on some issues but ignore others. You either dismiss the Bible or follow everything in it. You can't choose a small piece of the Bible to suit your views and disregard all others. That would be a contradiction and dishonest.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly why Christians get looked at as a bunch of hypocrites.
    Which a lot of them are.
    I grew up in a Christian family and went to church up until college.
    And growing up from inside the church somewhat turned me against the religion because of seeing people bend the bible to justify various things. There is just a lot of bs involved in Christian culture... especially on marijuana. It was looked at in my church as a capitol offense... and a sin. Which is even more shocking considering a lot of people in the church drink alcohol.
    I consider my self a Christian to this day but its not about religion its having a personal and intimate relationship with god. I still can't find fault with responsible weed usage. There's just simply nothing wrong with it. Christians aren't the only people that have been brain washed by the government to believe that weed is bad. I try and spread the truth as much as possible but it is very tough being a "Christian" who smokes.

16. I dislike the hypocrisy of quoting the Bible just as the next guy, but, to encourage such absolutes with something as complex and individualistic as a religious text is, in my opinion, just as much a contradiction. Whether it's the Bible, posts here on GC, or whatever memes you choose to surround yourself with, we all pick and choose.

The "I don't go to church cuz it's fulla hypocrites," thing is a vicious circle. If you identify yourself as a Christian, then it means you have accepted that you are just as sinful and corrupt as everyone else. And again, just like I said above, you just like everyone else, pick and choose. The things that you pick and choose make you, you.

Spot on sir :)

Being a Christian is being a follower of religion. If you don't follow religion, perhaps identifying as a Christian isn't the most accurate description of your spirituality.

Idealism is just as much an addiction as substance abuse.

Aye

I commend you for spreading facts about Cannabis usage, but if you mission to spread the word about pot is more important to you than deepening your understand about God, then I'm sorry that is not being Christian.

But to the OP: Honestly, I think that Cannabis usage in Christianity could be a wonderful thing. It could open some eyes and maybe some hearts. But I think it would have to be done individually, because otherwise, you end up with people assuming definitions of bible verses just to be able to partake or condemn.

I say, don't judge it. If I feel it's okay for me to smoke then that is my issue to work out within my own spirituality. But I will not try and push others to take that step; it's not my place. If instead I feel it's a sin, I won't smoke. But I will certainly not spend my time judging those who do.

Like with most things, when Christians debate and take stands, they take the attention away from matters, Christ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. smoking is a syn, not smoking is a sign! :devious:

save hearth!

18. why the fuck is your existence a sin? you down on yaself? a little pride and dignity is not a bad thing.

19. #20 Perpetual Burn, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
    ^'Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.'- Proverbs 16:18

Actually, people can do whatever they want... and are not subject to your notions of contradiction and honesty.