Where Does Your Party Stand? - Current Legislation & Voting Results

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 21, 2021.

1. #1 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    A thread to post current legislative bills, summaries explaining what the bills are, any voting results that may have accumulated, as well as for posting any relevant commentary.

HR 1280...
    "
    The bill, among other things, would ban neck restraints and "no knock" warrants in drug cases at the federal level. It would also reform qualified immunity, which is a doctrine that makes it difficult to sue officers.
    "
    House passes police reform act named for George Floyd
    Screenshot_2021-03-20-22-48-42-1.png

HR 1620...
    "
    The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) creates and supports comprehensive, cost-effective responses to domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence and stalking. Since its enactment, VAWA programs, administered by the U.S. Departments of Justice (DOJ) and Health and Human Services (HHS), have dramatically improved federal, tribal, state, and local responses to these crimes.
    "
    Violence Against Women Act - NNEDV
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-13-42-1.png

HR 5...
    "
    ...would amend the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (including titles II, III, IV, VI, VII, and IX) to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, sexual orientation and gender identity in employment, housing, public accommodations, education, federally funded programs, credit, and jury service.
    "
    Equality Act (United States) - Wikipedia
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-15-33-1.png

HR 6...
    "
    H.R. 6 would create a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers who arrived in the U.S. as children, have lived here for at least four years, paid an application fee, passed a background check, and completed years of work, higher education, or honorable military service. The bill would also offer permanent residency eligibility to immigrants from war-torn and disaster-ravaged countries who currently live here under temporary status.
    "
    Congressman Golden votes to pass the American Dream and Promise Act of 2021
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-33-26-1.png

HR 1652...
    "
    This bipartisan and bicameral legislation ensures that programs and services assisting victims of crime are fully funded and are better supported, with no new taxpayer dollars. I urge all my colleagues to support this legislation, and I reserve the balance of my time.
    "
    Chairman Nadler Floor Statement in Support of H.R. 1652, the VOCA Fix to Sustain the Crime Victims Fund Act of 2021
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-44-00-1.png

HR 842...
    "
    House Democrats have approved a bill that would provide protections for workers trying to organize, a measure that is the labor movement's single biggest legislative priority in this Congress.
    "
    House Democrats Pass Bill That Would Protect Worker Organizing Efforts
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-49-17-1.png

HR 803...
    "
    ...includes provisions protecting landscapes in Arizona, California, Colorado and Washington. H.R. 803 is a collection of eight public lands bills spanning 2.7 million acres and more than 1,000 miles of Wild and Scenic rivers.
    "
    ‘Protecting America’s Wilderness and Public Lands Act' would protect millions of acres
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-54-58-1.png

HR 485...
    "
    ...revises the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act and the Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment and Adoption Reform Act of 1978 to expand services for preventing and treating child abuse. Specifically, the bill establishes requirements concerning collecting and exchanging data about child abuse and neglect.
    "
    Summary of H.R. 485: Stronger Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act - GovTrack.us
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-00-58-32-1.png

HJ Res 17...
    "
    This joint resolution eliminates the deadline for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment, which prohibits discrimination based on sex. The amendment was proposed to the states in House Joint Resolution 208 of the 92nd Congress, as agreed to in the Senate on March 22, 1972. The amendment shall be part of the Constitution whenever ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the states.
    "
    Summary of H.J.Res. 17: Removing the deadline for the ratification of the equal rights amendment. - GovTrack.us
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-01-12-08-1.png

HR 1446...
    "
    The Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021 will increase the waiting period an FFL must wait before transferring a firearm without an answer to a background check from 3 business days after the background check was submitted to 10 business days after a petition by the customer is filed.
    "
    Enhanced Background Check Act 2021 (HR 1446) Explained - RocketFFL
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-06-05-04-1.png

HR 8...
    "
    Federal law does not require unlicensed sellers who sell guns online or at gun shows to conduct a background check prior to selling a gun, even when the buyer is a stranger they just met. This legislation would close this loophole and ensure that background checks are required on all gun sales.
    "
    What is H.R. 8 and how will it close background check loopholes? | Everytown
    Screenshot_2021-03-22-06-00-35-1.png

HR 1...
    "
    ...to expand voting rights, change campaign finance laws to reduce the influence of money in politics, limit partisan gerrymandering, and create new ethics rules for federal officeholders.
    "
    For the People Act - Wikipedia
    Screenshot_2021-03-21-03-46-09-1.png

Most of the bills I post will have at least passed 1 chamber. Post any bills, or voting results you'd like. This list includes most of the 117th congress bills that are still being debated but have passed at least 1 chamber.

2. I dont have a "party"

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Man I AM the party

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ya, I hear ya, I like to look at each issue individually. Then I sum up which party mostly aligns with how I think on the individual issues, and then I cast my vote against the party I least align with when looking at the individual issues. TBH we should have a no party system but I think we're stuck until people are more informed with how the parties are voting and whether or not that matches up with how they feel when they review the issues independently.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Where are you getting this data from - because I’m noticing that you’ve selected bills to post that are extreme in the voting differences between the Reds & Blues?

Is that why you specifically showed these bills?

j

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. #6 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    No I think this is pretty much the norm anymore, though the polorization is intense isn't it (and mostly over things that aren't that crazy or contentious)? Its interesting looking at the individual bills and the way the votes come out.

There have been ~33 bills that have made it through at least 1 chamber. Many were stimulus related or re-naming post offices. You're welcome to look and verify as well as post any bills and voting results you'd like.
    https://www.congress.gov/search?searchResultViewType=expanded&q={"source":"legislation","bill-status":"passed-one","congress":117}

EDIT:
    The instances where there is polarization provide opportunities to examine the differences between the 2 sides.

7. Could you give a couple of examples of how some of your opinions differs from the Democratic party's positions? It seems to me like you always agree with the Dems but we don't discuss every Democrat position so I'd like to know if there's any light between your opinions and the Democrat's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. #9 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    Gun rights.

They also passed a bill unanimously (I think), to do away with reverse auctions in construction and other special government contracts and pinned it on the shoulders of QC. Not sure how I feel about that one, but not sure all the ins and outs either.

What they did to Bernie in 2016, what dem owned MSM did to Bernie in 2020.

I'm more like Bernie Sanders but also don't think they should mess with guns too much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't want to derail your thread but are you saying you are pro gun rights? That would be a major difference from the usual Democrat stance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Agree on the derail thing - and while I’m not a big gun guy these days (I only own one rifle to have around the house/property) back in the day I had a mess of assorted rifles, shotguns and reloading equipment - but then came 3 baby girls in the house and Mumma J made good points. Anyhow.

I feel that guns are one old original citizen right that our founding fathers were clear on and one that should never ever be compromised.

• Like Like x 2
  11. #12 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 21, 2021
    Ya.

I think background checks are part of the systemic pressures that keep certain people from ever graduating off the block. They are used to select for employment based on things that aren't relevant to how well you can do your job, or your acquired skill sets ect.

I can definitely see a possibility where background checks could be used to keep certain communities from owning tools of defense. Each issue independently. So I'd have to look at each bill and what exactly is it proposing, but essentially I think you invest socially into the communities hit by gun violence, stop the war on drugs, ect as a way to solve the problem, while restricting gun access is not effective and creates criminals. Just like outlawing weed creates criminals. In certain areas I can see an effort to curb and it makes sense, but I want social investment and an end to the drug war. I'm more inclined to leave guns alone.

EDIT:
    Obviously NOT selling to the mentally challenged I'm ok with. So there are instances, but how often does it really happen ect, and boy is it a fine line and you need to fortify any changes with complete explanation so there's no room for future misinterpretation and/or loop holes, ect. This is something I've slowly been morphing on over the years and still molding my exact positions.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Its not derail. They have gun legislation being proposed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. - Define “mentally challenged? Because some mornings I definitely feel mentally challenged...

:love-m3j:

Seriously tho - where does the line get drawn as to who can own and who cannot? IMO violent crimes fit that bill - armed robbery et al.

I see a real deal issue with the way the damn government continually picks away at citizens gun rights - bit by bit by bit. I don't know how this has been allowed to happen but it has.
    This is absolutely not acceptable.

Again with your thread derailment tho. Perhaps we should have a gun rights thread because this is a real issue.

j

• Like Like x 1
  14. #15 ChiefRunningPhist, Mar 21, 2021
    Absolutely, though I think they are all real issues. Imo gun rights is the last thing to worry about legislatively. Its not going to improve anyone's life immediately like passing healthcare reform, and gun rights doesn't really influence democracy like voting rights, and doesn't impact like tax code reform, or ending the drug war ect. There are things with much greater implications on day to day life and democracy as a whole to worry about guns rn. The violence we get at the hands of guns is a symptom from an underlying issue(s). Gotta target the cause.

And I'm talking about folks that don't understand the purpose of the tool, degrees of down syndrome ect, but is it even an issue needing legislation (mentally handicapped ect)? And I'm less inclined to take them away from someone who has served their time and paid their debt. If there's threats made well then I'm sure you'd have to hash it out exactly, and that's what I'm talking about when I say a fine line and extreme articulation with no room for misrepresentation ect. But I'm also still molding my views on the topic and its not logical for me to support or oppose until that's more solidified. That's why I'd rather just not mess with it, and like I said most of the noise seems to be based on stemming a symptom of a different cause, ie its secondary to the root of the problem.

16. they allready DID healthcare reform.
    they fucked it up pretty bad from what i have heard.

i hope they don’t reform
    anything else because whenever they ‘reform’ something- it never is done properly and it seems as if it only create more governmental roadblocks and makes things more expensive and difficult for everyone that is involved

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Bills are often many pages long with many issues that may or may not correspond with the original title. The titles of these bills is usually the opposite of the effect they'll actually have on people or the economy. The better they sound the more skeptical I am about their intent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. whenever they talk about those kinds of weapons on this website we get banned and/temporary removed from the site

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. sometimes i wonder if bernie is not part of the swamp because they are always attacking him and are obviously threatened by him.

but he does play ball...his wife does anyways