What would federally legalization look like?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Happybudz, Apr 6, 2021.

1. It seems eventually the dea will have to remove it from their list.
    With all the states that have already made it legal to some degree and then there's Canada eh?
    I wonder if all the laws set by the states would be replaced by the feds or stand as they are?

2. Personally and this is just my opinion on the matter. I feel like if it ever does become legal at a Federal level the government will allow the remaining states who had not yet legalized at the time to set their own rules as to how many plants someone can grow and whatnot. That's really all I can think of at this moment.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Well it all depends on what federal legalization looks like. If federally you can have 12 plants but your state has a 6 plant recreational limit, i would assume that the 6 plant limit would be changed to 12. Otherwise we will still have states that dont allow home growing, only commercial with heavy regulation and taxes which wont really fix anything.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Did you really expect the Feds to fix things?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. No. I am against "federal legalization". But I'm all for de-scheduling and deregulation. Alcohol is a non scheduled drug. Alcohol and Marijuana need to trade places. The government does not decide the legal status of drugs based on scientific assessment of potential for harm, they do it based on money. This is wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I feel like it should be legalized and mostly deregulated. Regulate commercial sales to ensure quality product but not too many regulations for home growing. You can have as many plants as you have the room to grow.

• Like Like x 2
  7. In a perfect world? Just like beer, cigs, or coffee.

As it is, I think they really want to leave it to states which, is great unless you happen to be in a hard core prohibition state. It will be great if they pass something at the fed level but the politicians in states that still have the power to keep it down will do it.

8. Imo. A negative here in VT was an aggressive push to focus on cannabis using motorists. Basically 0 tolerance. They don't seem to worry about junkys killing people with their cars when not overdosed on the side of the road.
    I'm afraid the feds may go a similar route.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Well, they definitely dont want to come out and admit that their over 50 year long war against a plant was completely pointless and the negative economical and social impact is incalculable. When you make a mistake, the last thing you ever want to do is admit it. Just keep pretending your right until the end of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. The whole weed dui situation is a total clusterfuck. The science isn't there for an objective means of measuring someone being too stoned to drive, like there is with alcohol. And in fact I think the way weed tolerances work and how it affects people differently I think it may actually be impossible. And instead they'll probably refuse to accept that and use an arbitrary system of measurement (like tests that can't even discriminate between recent use and use days ago or more). Or go ahead and have designed to be failed, jumping through hoops field sobriety tests that don't prove jack shit either.

I mean it's kind of an elephant in the room the whole weed dui thing with legalization. But wow people sure were fucking quiet about it back in the day huh? When just as many people drove high but guess what? Most of them were fine. The idiots who were too baked to drive and didn't know better and crashed? Yeah they were and still are dumbasses that exist unfortunately. But it's soooo much less of a threat than drinking and driving that I would put money on it right now to say that a ban on driving to bars would reduce fatal accidents 10x more easily vs any kind of weed dui enforcement EVER could.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I mean a .08 to an alcoholic 40 year old man vs a 21 year old woman who has never had a drink in her life are going to be completely different levels of impairment. So.... not exactly a scientific form of measuring impairment.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I agree it's not exact but it's a lot closer to accurate than with weed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Federally legal it should grow wild in the tent years across america.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Federal legalization, even if not all states legalize, would be pretty groundbreaking and lift horrid restrictions that a Schedule I drug currently faces. If it's descheduled entirely, it will be able to be mailed for starters. Online dispensaries could be a thing. You could mail your weed. That alone absolutely makes it worth it. But there's more still. We could actually research it properly as well if it was off the Schedule I drug list, as there are some significant restrictions to doing so currently, and usually requires approval. Not that it hasn't been researched enough to determine it's safe to legalize, but there could be more uses that we don't even know yet to discover.

As far as laws specific for growing - well considering the current limit is 0, and if caught, you get thrown in PRISON and charged with a felony, yeah, even raising the limit to just 4-6 plants at a time federally would be far superior to the alternative. Further, 4-6 plants should last even the most heaviest of smokers until the next harvest, so I don't see the problem unless you're trying to have an entire grow operation yourself. Which, I'm not even against either for the record, but in what world would they legalize it like that under the current situation? It's a bit unrealistic to expect that. I'm 100% all for less restrictions and less regulations on cannabis, but beggars can't be choosers, and it seems some people expect total perfection and nothing short of it, else they'd rather be thrown in prison.

I don't know about you, but I'll take legalization even with a limit for an oz for personal possession in public even knowing it's not perfect over the alternative of knowing you go to jail with any amount in public. The hope is of course that as people ease onto it and see legalization didn't kill over the world, and nothing's changed, then we can start pressing on these little changes like raising or completely uncapping the possession limit and grow limits. But to expect total perfection right off the gate immediately is just insanity and almost nothing happens that way, especially coming from this Congress. It's something you work towards. I'm positive as it legalizes nationwide and across the globe - these restrictions will be addressed and lifted over time naturally.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. A lot of people out there struggle to get a few grams of trash off a plant....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Especially when alcohol is PROVEN to cause harm to the liver in large enough doses. Granted I do agree smoking weed is not overly good for the lungs but there are soo many other ways to get high off of weed than smoking it if one desires.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vice news did a good 5 minute video in this.
    It’s not rescheduling we want unless it’s all the way down to V. Going to schedule II would make it only available through pharmacy/RX making all dispensers illegal as well as any rec laws. You can’t free sell, process and consume Xanax or any other S2 so we want it all the way lifted or to schedule 5, but if this that keep using the missed tax argument will only push it right into a regulated system thru pharmacy. We can’t have government control anything. They sick at it. Period.
    It needs to be open for the free market. But then how to tax? It has to be on the business. Maybe making cash sales illegal so all currency exchanges are tracked and taxed immediately? I don’t think this admin is going to give us the laws we were looking for....

• Like Like x 1
  18. I would say tax at point of sale like other stuff. I just want it legal to get in the mail like coffee is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. My expectation is the federal government given current Democrat majorities will eventually over the next 4 years, decriminalize their statutes and allow commercial interstate cannabis corporations and banking while allowing individual states to decide on going legal or continuing to ban weed. Since Biden has a negative attitude about legalization, they may wait for a year or two allowing things to quiet down from the pandemic and political warring.

For many of we old timers that are now in legal states, getting the federal government to decriminalize is still a very necessary step that otherwise keeps us hiding in the dark. Legal states still generally restrict smoking weed to private residences and not freely outdoors in public. Many of us have over decades and continue to use weed outdoors on federal national forest, parks, seashores, and BLM lands because those are vast places enforcement is difficult if one is doing so on the sly. However if a person with celebrity publicly admits doing so, there are plenty of conservative anti-weed types in law enforcement and courts that could choose to make one of we smokers an example of. With federal decriminalization, that game ends. Here in California public use is just a trivial $100 fine. But do so on any fed property and they and could hang you by the balls.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1