What Happens if you attempt to breathe in space?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Bigman42003, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Great way to die!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. If lying about walking on the moon wasn't enough now there saying were going to start colonizing mars. Every decade I hear more stupid promises and lies.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. A vacuum isn't a thing.. It is the description of an absence of pressure.. Like cold is just a lack of heat energy..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. My point is to create vacuum there has to be resistance .

• Like Like x 1
  5. Where did I say vacuum was a thing ?

6. Ok. Vacuum isn't a word and it has no definition.... Oh wait yes it does. I would say yes, a vacuum is a "thing"

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Screenshot_20200220-195450_Google.jpg at -454.75 °f you die. It should be pretty instant though

8. I thought your point was that resistance was required to create pressure..

9. Atmospheric pressure keeps you from puking your guts and lungs out, keeps your blood from breaking down and the gasses inside to boil away. It's a horrible way to die.

So to answer your question, you dont breathe outer space, outer space breathes you!

10. #30 DaPhats, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    It depends how long you're in space for. The idea that you'll die instantly is a myth. You could last for a minute or so.

NASA had an experiment go wrong in the 60's and someone was exposed to a pure vacuum. He was left for 30 seconds before being rescued and ended up without any injuries. He said he could feel the saliva on his tongue boiling though.

The coldness will affect you but it's not like you'll be frozen instantly. You'd die of suffocation first.

11. Best bet is to exhale immediately upon depressurization that way the air in your lungs doesnt expand and kill you. World record for survival in a hypobaric environment is 10 secs i do believe.

12. Here it is. It was closer to 25 seconds or so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Word. Whats the difference between 10 sec and 25. 25 seconds you might remember to pray before you die.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Somebody ask joe kittenger, im sure they tested it on him lol.

15. #35 Vee, Mar 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    [​IMG]
    Lopez is correct the moment the pressure is out ..if that don't get you.. the cold will ..lol

much is misunderstood since Guardians of the Galaxy ....lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. You wont be able to inhale..as their is no air..the only thing likely hanging around in that particular area of space is a photon or other types of radiation...

17. In the moment mg guess is seconds can seem like minutes. And if time is relative per Einstein the farther from sea level we are the faster we age I could very well well be wrong

18. Could you connect your breathing to the vacuum?

19. Had to go to a science fair thing at high school and there was actually a stall about this.
    Had a rubber head full of whipped cream in a big glass jar.
    To show what would happen to us in a vacume they attached a pump to the jar.
    As imagined everything comes spewing out the eye sockets.
    Pretty cool lol.

20. You act like the Wizard of idiots

• Like Like x 1