Western Mass First real outdoor grow

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Paulnewtogrowing, Feb 22, 2021.

1. #1 Paulnewtogrowing, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Hi all - just started germination phase for this summer. I’m doing two batches - I plan to start second batch in Late March due to light availability unless I decide to get another one.
    First batch includes 1 each of these strains:

Golden Lemons fem
    Acapulco Gold fem
    Mimosa EVO fem
    Cataract Kush fem
    California OG Kush fem
    Purple Punch fem
    Kitchen Sink fem

I purchased all seeds except the kitchen sink from the North Atlantic Seed comp. Kitchen sink is from a seed I found in a 1 plant I grew last summer which I really didn’t do anything with other than topping it until it started developing huge colas. That plant came from a seed I found in some retail buds I bought.

I have a batch of organic soil that mixed up a month ago (50 gallons) that I will transplant them to once they out grow the cups. The soil mix for initial vegging is compost, pro mix,EWC, perlite with bone/blood/kelp meal, alfalfa, and mineral dust additives. The seedlings are in some pretty good dirt from my garden mixed with pro mix snd perlite. I should be able to move them outside in Mid May where I will have some 30 gallon bags - I’m looking for advice on what medium to use because those damn EWCs are expensive.

Attached Files:

2. Bone and blood meals are known to draw diggers like Skunks and Raccoons. Most of us Skip that pair of supplements.
    Composted Chicken Manure is what I use the most of. Kelp meal, Alfalfa meal.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the info - does the manure replace the worm castings as well ? That stuff is kinda pricey. Before moving them outside in Mid to late May they will have in theory been vegging for about 2.5 months in 7 gallon bags. From what I can tell from last year, they should enter flowering in mid August and the weather here should allow them to flower until late October - if I use 30 gallon bags outside will that reduce growth capability - I’d like to let a few of them get as big as possible with weather being the limiting factor vs the bag.
    I would put them in the ground but where I want to put them there’s a shit load of underground roots from trees I cut down a few years ago and I don’t have an excavator. - thanks

4. No the manure won't replace the EWC but it is a good source of N and the litter helps aerate the soil. A little EWC goes a long ways as it tends to make the soil heavy if to much is used.
    It's to hot here to worm farm so I tossed my remaining worms in the big SIPs (self irrigating planters) and I find many worms when I install a new plant. Warm here year round so I don't have any freezing issues to contend with.

BNW

5. Just an update - for whatever reason I was unsuccessful germinating purple punch and cataract kush - tried 2 times on the CK and 3 times on the purple punch. So I started some Dank Commanders and Chem N Creams both of which will have some males, a white widow fem and an Amnesia fem. I did transplant 4 so far. Also I’m running them on 15:9 light schedule to match what Mid May will be.

Attached Files:

6. Another update - I completed construction of my new 8’x5.5’x8’ grow space in the warmer part of my basement and wired in two dedicated 15 A service outlets for lights , humidifier/dehumidifier, heater, and fans.
    Also only 2 of the Dank Commanders and 2 Chem N Cream germinated and as you can see one of the Dank Commanders is struggling for whatever reason and Transplanted a few more yesterday.

Attached Files:

7. I guess I’m not sure what you mean by they go a long way - currently I have a 120 lbs (maybe 4 cubic ft) of the EWC for about 80 cubic feet of soil - I was thinking I would need twice that or more but there are so many recipes out there that have wide fluctuations in EWC ratios. How much would you use? Thanks

8. Ohhh that is fine. Even doubling would still be good. We see people take it way up to where it's made the blend muddy.

BNW

9. Decided to top/FIM the ones that had six nodes - most appear to be doing ok so far. Snow is almost gone from my garden so I’ll be getting some compost soon to make the soil for them.

Attached Files:

10. Update, I have 5 surviving females in the yard (1 is bagged) and it appears all have entered the stretch phase and are starting to develop pistils. I do have four others in a buddy’s yard but no current pics yet. I hope they all finish before weather turns!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2