Weed Won In 2020

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Green Wizard, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Chuck Schumer Lists Marijuana As A Priority In First Post-Election Cannabis Comments

Newly installed Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) reiterated on Monday that marijuana reform will be a legislative priority for his chamber as the session ramps up.

In his first public comments on cannabis policy since Democrats reclaimed the majority and put him in the top leadership position, Schumer said federal marijuana reform will be part of a racial justice agenda that lawmakers will pursue in the 117th Congress. It’s a signal to advocates that the senator’s pre-election commitments to advancing legalization were not simply political bluster.

--

This is a pretty big deal. Federal reform means a brand new industry and ability to generate a ton of money and jobs. Regulation and commercial availability would solve a lot of issues. Financial, social and political.

• Like Like x 1

2. This is pretty interesting...

This is **THE NEW SENATE MAJORITY LEADER** saying:

* he was the first major GOP or Dem leader to back decrim and legalization of cannabis (his words)
    * FDA will not be involved in legalization (this is a massive win - look at what happened to CBD)
    * they will leave it mostly to the states (this was vague)
    * money will be going back into social equity initiatives
    * calling to action - tell your senator to sponsor my bill
    * explicitly says he is working on a bill

3. #25 Green Wizard, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    DP

4. There's a good chance for federal legalization and very few people seem to care. I thought weed took priority.

Schumer Hosts First Marijuana Meeting To Formulate 2021 Federal Legalization Plan

Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY), Senate Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) heard from a group of advocates and stakeholders as the trio prepares to unveil draft reform legislation “in the early part of this year.”

The senators released a joint statement announcing the plan earlier this week that decried the failures of marijuana criminalization and called for a federal policy change that prioritizes repairing the harms of prohibition. Getting input from stakeholders is part of that process, they said.

5. Still some regressive right wing states holding out.

"GOP: We believe in small government.
    Voters: We want weed.
    GOP: No, not like that."

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. The objection to the South Dakota legalization law came from guess who? Law enforcement. Hopefully the appeal upholds the will of the people. Not putting any money on the Republican controlled South Dakota justice system though. Good luck I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Making marijuana reform a part of a racial justice agenda looks a bit racist on first glance.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. As much as I'd like to see it legalized federally, a part of me knows that it's gonna be all kinds of fucked up with the government getting involved.

I'm not convinced the pharmaceutical companies will let it happen, maybe if they can get a piece of the pie.:confused_2:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. With the Dems controlling the government it's put up or shut up time for rescheduling.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Excuse me but what on earth does one have to do with the other??

11. Black folks are prosecuted at insanely higher rates than white folks for minor possession charges.
    I'm assuming that's why they're doing that.

One poster in here said no one is excited about this.
    I'm very excited, but very sceptical since we've been hearing about this for years.

Hopefully this time is different.. But politicians like to politic. So we'll see.
    I hope I'm wrong.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. They are prosecuted more often but I'm assuming they think if they add the reform in with racial justice instead of simply reforming marijuana laws there will be fewer lawmakers willing to vote against it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. All these theories are cute and definitely align with some of the views of our southern politicians... But everyone seems to forget that a trillion dollar industry is about to unfold.
    All of a sudden every politician is a marijuana industry advocate, but not only that we're going to fix social inequality and institute a justice reform!!! Or make billions from lobbying and new investments, either one works.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mexico may soon move ahead of the USA when it comes to liberating cannabis countrywide... There is talk of decriminalizing all drugs in Mexico which would open up the gringo kidnappings again... Look out spring breakers and ex-pats living there.

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - "Former Mexican President Vicente Fox said on Friday he expected Congress to pass its new law to legalize cannabis next week, a move that would effectively create one of the world's largest weed markets."

Former president Fox expects Mexico to pass landmark cannabis bill next week

• Like Like x 1
  15. kids are being treated with cannabis in other Countries ... phytocannabinoid therapies used to treat inoperable brain cancers in infants

• Like Like x 1