Weed makes me become a total mute and I'm awkward..

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Kushkandi, Oct 24, 2011.

1. I have been smoking weed for over ten years and have been smoking daily for the past 6 years. I love smoking weed and I do not want to give it up. But I notice when I smoke weed, especially indica's, I suddenly become socially awkward and ridiculously quiet. People always comment on my 'stoned face' as well. When my eyes are bloodshot and glazed over, I'm in a good mood, but my stoned facial expression makes people think I'm really sad, bored and I'm about to cry. But honestly, I'm in a good mood and I'm enjoying my time smoking with my friends. When I'm stoned and even if I feel like I'm smiling, my friends will ask me what's wrong and they think I'm about to cry. I'm not even an emotional person. But when new people smoke with me and I'm listening to them talk, they often stop themselves and asked me if they said something to piss me off cause I kinda look like I want to gouge their eyes out. lol. Or at least that was one of the best things someone said to me. But new people all mistake my stoned facial expression for being bored and angry with them. But I'm not an angry person, I don't get bored easily, I have a light-hearted sense of humor and I'm easily amused. I can feel a smile on my face at the time someone thinks I look like I might cry. I don't get it...

But my stoner personality is to mainly sit back and relax. Honestly, I prefer to smoke alone but I'm usually an extrovert so that never really happens. I don't like to speak at all when I smoke weed. I don't like to talk to people and instead I like to do something creative or watch something funny. I don't like having conversations with anyone while I'm stoned because for some reason, I feel its difficult to speak and carry on conversations when I'm stoned. So I usually just become a mute. But this apparently bothers most people. I have lost most of my friends throughout the years only because I get quiet and boring when I'm stoned. But they're all stoners too. So, when I'm around anyone, that's what we do... is smoke weed. I'm not gonna deny smoking weed just because weed makes me quiet. But a lot of people get very bored with me and no longer want to hang out with me only for that reason. Then they choose to not like me anymore because of it. I only have 2 friends left. I'm an attractive female and many guys try and flirt with me but I haven't had a boyfriend in 8 years because I can't hold a conversation when I'm stoned and everybody I end up meeting is also a stoner. I am 27 years old but everybody thinks I look 18 still. Not sure why, but I'm still very youthful looking. It's just really lonely and really annoying because this is just my stoner personality and I don't see anything wrong with silence. I enjoy being quiet and just enjoying the high.

But people think I'm just awkward. If I'm with a group of people and everyone is talking and then I say something, people will stop talking and look at me like "whoa, why the hell did you just speak?" and suddenly people will joke about how I just made everything awkward. I don't interrupt people and I'll say something relevant to the conversation. But whatever I do, I come off as awkward. I could be sitting down next to someone and they would be like, "wtf? how long have you been sitting there? You're creeping me out". Or I'll say I need to take my dog out and everybody thinks I'm awkward with that too.

I've had people say I'm not allowed at their house anymore only because I'm boring, even though I'm not boring at all. I'm very creative and have many hobbies that other people I know appreciate as well. But nobody seems to ever want me around because I get quiet. I do prefer to be that way though and I find it very rude and insulting when anyone asks "why are you so quiet?"But after a few years of dealing with people around me, now I feel I'm developing some sort of social anxiety around everyone.

It's really starting to get to me. The people around me constantly make me feel like I have some sort of personality defect, when all I wanna do is chill out and smoke weed. And hearing this bullshit from almost everyone around me, every day, for the past few years, makes me wanna just be a hermit. And it's not just one group of people who surround me.. I know people all over the US and I lived in California, Florida and Michigan all in the past 5 years. California people seem a lot nicer and easier to connect with but it just seems very hard to connect with anyone when I'm stoned.

Does anyone else have this problem? I thought weed is supposed to make you relax and open up more, but it does the opposite to me. Indica strands are the worst for me and I won't even smoke kush with anyone because it makes me the most nervous. Is there a weed that helps make people more sociable? Any weed that would make it easier to talk to people on? I don't want to stop smoking weed. That's why I came to this site so non-tokers wouldn't be like "stop smoking". Any advice?

2. I'm the same way... I'm very quite... And when I'm high I just Normaly sit there and lission to everything everyone elts is saying.. But I've never had people have a problem with it. Like all my friends no me and that that is just how I am...

3. i talk a lot when im high, guess we're all (the weed smokers) 'different' haha

4. I've been smoking a long time myself, and I get quiet when I smoke sometimes just because when I'm high I think about a lot of stuff or just focus in on what everyone else is doing. Other times I get really talkative and social.

I don't know, I think it can go both ways. There are just a lot of factors that go into it I guess.

5. In my experience, when the weed is potent, I become reclusive. For some reason I can't bring myself carry a conversation. It's not that I'm trying to though.

6. [quote name='"Kushkandi"']I have been smoking weed for over ten years and have been smoking daily for the past 6 years. I love smoking weed and I do not want to give it up. But I notice when I smoke weed, especially indica's, I suddenly become socially awkward and ridiculously quiet. People always comment on my 'stoned face' as well. When my eyes are bloodshot and glazed over, I'm in a good mood, but my stoned facial expression makes people think I'm really sad, bored and I'm about to cry. But honestly, I'm in a good mood and I'm enjoying my time smoking with my friends. When I'm stoned and even if I feel like I'm smiling, my friends will ask me what's wrong and they think I'm about to cry. I'm not even an emotional person. But when new people smoke with me and I'm listening to them talk, they often stop themselves and asked me if they said something to piss me off cause I kinda look like I want to gouge their eyes out. lol. Or at least that was one of the best things someone said to me. But new people all mistake my stoned facial expression for being bored and angry with them. But I'm not an angry person, I don't get bored easily, I have a light-hearted sense of humor and I'm easily amused. I can feel a smile on my face at the time someone thinks I look like I might cry. I don't get it...

But my stoner personality is to mainly sit back and relax. Honestly, I prefer to smoke alone but I'm usually an extrovert so that never really happens. I don't like to speak at all when I smoke weed. I don't like to talk to people and instead I like to do something creative or watch something funny. I don't like having conversations with anyone while I'm stoned because for some reason, I feel its difficult to speak and carry on conversations when I'm stoned. So I usually just become a mute. But this apparently bothers most people. I have lost most of my friends throughout the years only because I get quiet and boring when I'm stoned. But they're all stoners too. So, when I'm around anyone, that's what we do... is smoke weed. I'm not gonna deny smoking weed just because weed makes me quiet. But a lot of people get very bored with me and no longer want to hang out with me only for that reason. Then they choose to not like me anymore because of it. I only have 2 friends left. I'm an attractive female and many guys try and flirt with me but I haven't had a boyfriend in 8 years because I can't hold a conversation when I'm stoned and everybody I end up meeting is also a stoner. I am 27 years old but everybody thinks I look 18 still. Not sure why, but I'm still very youthful looking. It's just really lonely and really annoying because this is just my stoner personality and I don't see anything wrong with silence. I enjoy being quiet and just enjoying the high.

But people think I'm just awkward. If I'm with a group of people and everyone is talking and then I say something, people will stop talking and look at me like "whoa, why the hell did you just speak?" and suddenly people will joke about how I just made everything awkward. I don't interrupt people and I'll say something relevant to the conversation. But whatever I do, I come off as awkward. I could be sitting down next to someone and they would be like, "wtf? how long have you been sitting there? You're creeping me out". Or I'll say I need to take my dog out and everybody thinks I'm awkward with that too.

I've had people say I'm not allowed at their house anymore only because I'm boring, even though I'm not boring at all. I'm very creative and have many hobbies that other people I know appreciate as well. But nobody seems to ever want me around because I get quiet. I do prefer to be that way though and I find it very rude and insulting when anyone asks "why are you so quiet?"But after a few years of dealing with people around me, now I feel I'm developing some sort of social anxiety around everyone.

It's really starting to get to me. The people around me constantly make me feel like I have some sort of personality defect, when all I wanna do is chill out and smoke weed. And hearing this bullshit from almost everyone around me, every day, for the past few years, makes me wanna just be a hermit. And it's not just one group of people who surround me.. I know people all over the US and I lived in California, Florida and Michigan all in the past 5 years. California people seem a lot nicer and easier to connect with but it just seems very hard to connect with anyone when I'm stoned.

Does anyone else have this problem? I thought weed is supposed to make you relax and open up more, but it does the opposite to me. Indica strands are the worst for me and I won't even smoke kush with anyone because it makes me the most nervous. Is there a weed that helps make people more sociable? Any weed that would make it easier to talk to people on? I don't want to stop smoking weed. That's why I came to this site so non-tokers wouldn't be like "stop smoking". Any advice?[/quote]

Ok, I read all of it and I'll give you my opinion (I'm a relatively quiet stoner, but I like to enjoy myself)

There is no definitive answer so I will try touch on a few. First, when you began smoking it was with friends and you got all giggly, but once it become routine and you do began smoking by yourself there is nothing to really talk about and you learn to become quiet.

Maybe you are infact just an awkward person. You say you are attractive so that cant be it. Because for all you know when you finally say something in a conversation it seems weird to everyone else because you hadn't said anything previously to contribute to the convo. This is not a solution bit have you tried drinking a beer with your bowl? That really helps me loosen up and start talking. I'm from Cali so most people are TOTALLY chill if your quiet. We actually just accept the fact that if someones not tryna talk they must be pretty lit and in a chilling place...why try to bring them out of that? so it can be awkward?

Shit I don't have many friends either and I don't really talk much when I get high. Get your ass to Cali and we can burn a few bowls and not have to say a word :p hahaha. Sry if this didn't help. I'm just rambling.

7. Im kinda the same but instead i try to talk but i just think it kinda amusing to me

8. at first it seemed like all the people around you were super nice, cus they always asked you if anything was wrong.
    But then they turn out to be assholes. I mean they ditch you cus you're boring when high? wtf,who does that???
    I'm also really quiet when high. I bet me and you would get along pretty damn well haha :wave:
    I hope things get better for you

9. It sounds like you need some better friends, i dont believe people should judge you while your stoned, it brings out a completely different personality. It changes your thought process. I know where your coming from, not as extreme though for me, I usually get quiet and absorbed in thought and my friends will comment "yo you're really quiet" and such. Try taking a break from weed and hanging out with your friends to let them rediscover your true personality. Once you resmoke with them, they'll understand. Hope this post helps! :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. I agree with these other posts, To be honest it sounds like you are hanging around a bunch of dickheads lol. I mean really, who tells someone they arent allowed at their house because they chill too much? and then whenever you try to talk they say how awkward you make things?

The simple answer is just say fuck em and try to find people who can relate to you to smoke with. Try to find people who can just chill and not be worried about how "awkward" things are. I like smoking with people who can just be themselves no matter how crazy or weird they are because peoples uniqueness is what makes life interesting

Also it might take a while but just try to relax. I use to be in the same boat, whenever i would smoke around new people i didnt really know, I would just get real quite and nervous kind of. The problem was i cared too much what people thought of me, and smoking seemed to just highten that. There is nothing wrong with you, if anything you are just thinking too much about it. Not giving a fuck goes a long way in making life more enjoyable

11. 9Peace speaks the truth!

12. dude, i kno excatly how you feel. i have the same problem with being akward, i just get really quiet as fuck and people ask me "You good?" and ill jus be like "yea.? Why?" and ill think of something to say like im just high as fuck. im 21 but i look 30. so i guess people dont really want to give me advice or anything about learning to talk and be social. nowadays life is a blur i stay fucked up always blowin a blunt or drinking a beer trying to tget a buzz. but im still doing good in school so im not worried. but my parents know im fucked out of my mind by the way i talk and how im always quiet. they even ask why im so emotionally distant. but im not i jus dont say much. if i do most other people think im weird or jus cant relate. ive been told by many girls im really weird, and its because i dont say much. but all that doesnt matter. i decided to start over and move out of my parents house. and i told myself that from now on the only person i can trust is myself and i must acquire as much money as possible and everything else will follow. so just dont worry about what others think, get partner that loves you and make money. just move on, fuck being social. live your fuckin life dude. dont spend all day thinking about what other say about you. thats what makes you different. embrace that shit.
    and that was my 2 cents.

13. Maybe, you need to smokeless in group situations?

14. OP we're in the same boat. If I'm at a social event I wont go high, and won't smoke too much while I'm there. At least until im comfortable with everyone there and I've been drinking ;)

I would be having fun with a group of people, then once we smoke I just zone out and don't really talk. I used to not even notice it, and when I did notice it I felt even more anti social and awkward. I would even start thinking people were like judging me and that I was acting wicked gay and like nobody liked me. Shit sucked.

So now I either smoke with a small group that I know, or wait until I'm buzzed and comfortable with myself before blazing in a group that I don't know

15. Don't feel that you have to smoke - it's just an option.
    If it's not a good fit with you then don't do it.

16. Maybe meet up with some friends when you're all sober?

Shit, if they genuinely are/used to be good friends then you've got to have something in common besides weed, right?

17. I think this is a common side effect for lots of people who smoke. My friends come over and after the second joint we are all just sitting there zoning out and being quiet. Sure there are people who say they become more social when they are baked but everybody reacts differently to cannabis. From personal experience, I feel awkward and less confident when I am medicated. I used to think I needed weed to be social and engaging but I'm finding its just the opposite. I am much more confident and willing to talk with anybody when I'm NOT high. My wittiness, humor and sarcasm go out the window if I've smoked a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love & am passionate about cannabis but I would try consuming less and see if it makes a difference.

18. exactly how i am

19. Whatever suits you is good man i talk to close friends a lot or otherwise i'm like you.

20. ill smoke with u, thats stupid people stop being friends with u because ur quite when u get high, fuck yeah ill roll us a blunt and chill out and watch a funny movie