Was weed just legalized in NY??

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by MattmPsi, Mar 27, 2021.

1. So everyone where I am here in NY is convinced weed was just recreationally legalized here. Apparently Cuomo signed something that made it so.

Anyone know if this is completely true or not?

2. It is legal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. #5 garrison68, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    My wife went out this morning (we live in NYC), a neighbor (who we do not know) came out of a building on the corner, lit up a joint, and went on his way. The legalization law this far permits no selling but smoking is allowed wherever cigarettes are permitted. Is public smoking of cannabis in the street allowed in other states where recreational use is legal?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. No. It's not legal to smoke anywhere that is considered a public place. You're supposed to smoke on your own private property. But people smoke at festivals and things like that.

5. According to this article, you can smoke in public as long as you are an adult.

NYPD Prohibits Vehicle Searches Based Solely on the Smell of Marijuana NYPD Prohibits Vehicle Searches Based Solely on the Smell of Marijuana

Joshua Espinoza
    Thu, April 1, 2021, 9:31 PM
    [​IMG]
    Image via Getty

New York City officers can no longer conduct vehicle searches based on the smell of marijuana alone.

The order was outlined in a new NYPD memo that details the state’s new laws pertaining to cannabis sales, possession, and use among adults 21 and older. “Effective immediately, the smell of marijuana alone no longer establishes probable cause of a crime to search a vehicle,” the memo states. “This change applies to both burnt and unburnt marijuana.”

According to the four-page memo, obtained by CNN, officers may search vehicles if the driver appears to be under the influence of marijuana and if “there is probably cause to believe that the vehicle contains evidence of the impairing” substance. This evidence could include the smell of burnt cannabis or if the driver admits to having consumer marijuana before getting behind the wheel. “However, the trunk may not be searched unless the officer develops separate probable cause to believe the trunk contains evidence of a crime,” the memo continues.

The memo goes on to point out that anyone over the legal age is allowed to consume marijuana “almost anywhere that cigarette smoking is allowed including on sidewalks, on front stoops and other public places”; therefore, officers cannot approach, stop summons, arrest, or search an individual simply because he/she was smoking weed in these areas. The memo notes that street sales of cannabis are still against the law, but an officer who sees a hand-to-hand exchange of 3 ounces or less of marijuana cannot make an arrest or issue a summons—that is, unless they also witness an exchange of money. (Snipped)

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cuomo was supposed to help legalize it the past 3-4 yrs. It's the reason I heavily invested in growing equipment back then. Very cool its finally legal, the wife used to be paranoid about a few of my first grows. She actually helps once in awhile these days.

Stay lit, NY!

(I can legally possess 5 lbs now, haha) at home.

• Like Like x 1
  7. You can smoke legally anywhere cigs are allowed!!:rave-girl: