Volcano won't heat up! Blaaah

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by billybobtbag, Dec 13, 2009.

1. So, this happened over the summer to begin with...
    I randomly went to turn on my Volcano and the control light wouldn't turn on when I hit the power button. Waited and waited, no heat, no hot air, no nothing...I sent it in for repairs under warranty, and they sent me back what pretty much looked like a brand new one. I have 1 year left on warranty and the damn thing has started doing it again; if I try turning it on like a gazillion times, sometimes it actually works for me. I'm going to send it back again, but does ANYONE know of a DIY solution to this problem or even know if this is a common occurrence? Or am I just Johnny Sh*tluck?

2. I know what's going on... well maybe. I fixed my friends Volcano that was having the same exact problem

It could be one of two things:
    1) The hoses inside have become kinked.
    2) The buttons are sticking. You can't have both buttons pressed at once. If one sticks even slightly the thing won't turn on.

Number 2 is most likely because you said it won't even turn on. Try pulling both buttons out before trying to start it. I know this seems obvious and too easy of a fix but pulling the buttons out isn't something that would usually cross the mind so its easy to miss. You would not believe how upset I was at myself for not trying that before wasting hours on other ideas.

If its the hoses, you'll need either a hex driver with a security pin hole (really hard to come by) or some serious determination to remove the screws with your bare hands. I did it with my hands and it took FOREVER. Be careful if you have to remove the cover... it's attached to the digital display by some banner cables that would be very easy to pull out. I believe there is a guide online somewhere about how to open it and fix the hose issue safely. I do believe it voids the warranty.. so only do it if your warranty is up.

3. So if there is a kinked tube, then the control light won't even turn on at all to indicate that the device is heating up? Also, the button's seem to be fine to me..how would you go about 'pulling them out?' Is that only possible when the machine is opened?

4. No you can do it from the outside. This is a digital right? On my friend's the red button was stuck in partially so pressing it didn't activate the switch. The air would blow after pressing the green button but it would never heat up. I can't remember if the control light was working or not. Though it was easier to force the button out from the inside, it is possible to just pull it out from the outside.

Can you get it to blow air at all even if its cold?

5. Nah, see the thing is, the volcano is a Classic. How do you mean by 'pull the button out?' I guess I should have specified that the control light wont turn on/machine won't heat up when i hit the 'heat switch' heh...oh and yes, air is coming out no problem. It's just cold as balls.

6. I am unfamiliar with the inner workings of the classic. Sorry man. :(

But... It is my bet that the heat switch is not working for some reason. I would start my investigation there. My only advice is to try searching google for keywords that describe your issue. That's what I did to start off. Stuff like "volcano" "classic" "won't heat" "broken" etc.

7. Here's a vid I found on YouTube regarding the kinked hoses. I believe this vid is for the Volcano Classic.

Volcano Tube Repair

Found this too:
    Important note from Storz & Bickel:
    "We often receive machines for repair that people have opened, hoping a pinched tube was their problem, too. Usually, this is not the case, but in opening their machine, they void the warranty, and sometimes damage the thermostat in the process. The thermostat is located behind the knob, and if the knob is not removed before the shell is taken off, the spring mechanism can be damaged. While we appreciate your intent, it is important to consider the bigger issue. IF YOU INFORM PEOPLE THEY WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND FURTHER DAMAGE THEIR MACHINE FOR A PROBLEM THAT WOULD BE FIXED FOR FREE, IT WOULD BE BETTER FOR EVERYONE."

Good luck bro!

8. Just bought my buddies volcano classic for $50 and it has the same problem as yours, I want to send it in and get it fixed but the idea of sending a used volcano across the border (i live in canada) is just insane. So at the moment it looks like a DIY fix, have u made any headway with yours or are you still trying to figure it out?

9. #9 TripleSalad, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Not a kinked hose. Posting this for the googlers.

If the control light won't come on, your relay is stuck. The contacts become welded due to debris creating a spark gap.

To fix this, unplug the volcano (very important)
    Take off the cap
    Torque a small flathead screwdriver just under the contacts, between the arms, until loose
    Plug in volcano
    With the lid still off and the volcano on, turn the temp dial back and forth to operate the relay. It will probably audibly spark but keep turning it back and forth until you restore the relay's nice snap.
    If the relay gets stuck, start from the beginning or check out this guide
    If not, put the cap on and you're done

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. You can disagree, but would you mind telling me why?
    This is how I fixed my Volcano, after all.

For those that don't know, the relay is the bit that makes that nice clink sound. When its open, the volcano heats up. When it's closed, it does not heat up. Simple.

It stopped working after I turned it upside down to shake dust out and some dust got into the relay. The gap created by the dust causes more current to flow through the relay, and can even create a spark like mine did. This excess current welds the contacts together.
    A stuck relay is relatively uncommon but happens more frequently on dirty equipment. Keep your unit clean and it won't be something to worry about.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

11. What contacts are you talking about? and power on the volcano with those loose?
    I'm having green sparks from the back and the control light pulses when the relay is not stuck, the wires on my volcano have transparent covers unlike the picture, tried moving them and clean them with air but the issue keeps coming back.

12. The relay is the only moving part in the volcano. It's the part that clicks. This is only true for the classic but you should find it just behind the temp dial. It's hard to see if you don't know what you're looking for.

I just mean if the contacts are stuck together, to get them free. Don't go sticking your fingers or anything in there when it's turned on.

You're saying you're getting sparks which tells me your relay needs a bit of sanding. If you haven't, check out this guide:
    It's much more clear with pictures.

13. Nah it has nothing to do with that. There are these two leads on the back, the green sparks are under the left lead, every time my volcano does not heat I reseat those leads/connections and it heats again, if the device gets colder and I press heat it seems to spark. Now if its completely cold it won't heat at all and again fiddling with the leads will make it heat again. I might send it to S&B because I received a brand new classic and it emits an odor from the fan my old one does not have and also it produces less vapor!

14. Your 'cano sounds pretty messed, bud! Are you talking about the crimp connectors going to the heater? My wires are pink/red. If that's what it is then I would say you need to clean any corrosion off the contact pads going to the heater, and add new crimp connects onto the existing wires.

Big sparks can start a fire or even zap you dead if you're missing your ground prong like me

15. #15 ClearTheChamber, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 15, 2021
    If still under warranty just ship it back. Don't mess with it. As long as it's under warranty you should ship it back and get as much as you can out of the warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bought my digital unit 8 years ago, paid cash, tossed out receipt ... S&B website says I need the receipt in order to register the thing and avail myself of free repair. UGH.

So anyway, my unit stopped heating up (still lights up display, still blows air). I've had the cover off a few times to clean inside residue. Slamming it 5 to 30 times got it heating again, but only for a few dozen times. WORKAROUND hasn't failed yet: Carefully place unit on its side (with display facing upward), off the floor or table -- I use a ceramic brick for that. Make sure the unit is turned on. Put a space heater about 4 inches in front of the unit's airway opening (top) and turn the space heater on LOW heat, blow hot air directly into the airway opening. After about ten minutes, my unit temperature (which was stuck at 37° C) starts to climb. CAUTION: This causes the metal housing to get very warm, not too hot though if you remove space heater as soon as unit starts heating again. As soon as you see the temperature starting to climb, turn off the space heater and turn the Volcano unit upright. Wait for it ... to reach desired operating temp. I've done this dozens of times, it always works -- probably the heat causes a relay switch to stop sticking.