UV light to remove chlorophyll from tinctures

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Immacrepe, Mar 16, 2021.

1. I just have to say that everything from my hair 2 the tote bags I crochet are UV reactive. I live for blacklight! I bought a UVC wand at the beginning of quarantine, but UVA and UVB are safe to be under. it sterilizes, and makes everything trippy. I do know about the UV reaction to quinine and I now know that I would have been badkats biggest groupie. You already know these hard candies are going to be my jam! I soo wish I had the chance to chat with her, but I'm reading all her threads. I can only hope to be that knowledgeable by the time I die, that woman is crazy talented!!!

2. 16172129732006694308578856245228.jpg 16172132686275676980469233448477.jpg 16172129732006694308578856245228.jpg 16172132686275676980469233448477.jpg
    Ok, I gotta hang with your wife. Aside from cabin in the woods, that was me at the beginning of quarantine. I always have a 16 oz container of yeast in my fridge, but rarely use it. Anytime you mix flour and water and leave it out on the counter and feed it everyday you will get a wild sourdough. If she hasn't done so already let her know about Ginger bugs. It makes an incredible fizzy drink but it is not as hard to maintain as kombucha. I do them as well .I have had my kombucha scoby for close to two years now and two scoby hotels taking up a bunch of room in my fridge. Fermented foods are key, especially with the present state of things. I don't do western medicine or doctors. I guess if I was born 200 years ago I'd have been burned at the stake. Lucky for me, ha! As for the infused mayonnaise, I have every intention of making my own with an infused Bacon fat as the base for it because why isn't mayonnaise made with bacon already? It just makes sense to me but bacon and weed? oh hell yeah \m/
    I made a direct oil I only used a mortar and pestle 2 crush up the decarbed bud next time I will put it in my NutriBullet it will be fine for the capsules but I'm thinking I can run some through a little mesh sieve 4 my hard candies and such maybe mixed with a little Bacon Fat it would be really good on a Toasted Roll? I will try out the recipe you posted as well but I have used up all of the Bud. Ive got plenty to work with, and here's my Symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Good morning @Immacrepe, this is Mrs JMcGD and I’m in need of some advice on making caramels. I’ve done a couple of batches and I can’t seem to get them to firm up! Ugh They come out more like a caramel sauce than a candy. Both recipes were slightly different but very tasty. We live at 6000’ and do know that can make a difference but I’m not sure how to adjust the recipe to get them to firm up. I have not started to infuse with it yet because I want to get the recipe right first. Any advice you could share would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. Thx

4. Mrs @JMcGD
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    While she's no longer active her thread contains many jewels on cooking and candies.
    I'll query the wife when she wakes up as I live with a master chef. IMO.
    <-- 5000 ft elevation.

BNW

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Thanks Brass, it’s been awhile since we looked through that thread.

6. The lecithin is an emulsifier, also, which holds the concentrate together better...great idea!
    I will definitely start using it, when I make another batch!
    Thanks for the tip!
    27 years growing and I still enjoy learning new methods!
    Hail the leaf!
    Stay high...
    Peace and much respect!

Sent from my moto e6 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. While it does change the texture and improve emulsification. Our primary interest is in its Bioavailability Enhancements.

Liposomal Encapsulation.
    Lecithin is used a wide range of products for its ability to break down and encapsulate substances. Makes less sugar seems as sweet. Less Chocolate taste just as rich. Less Medicine to give the same results. The last feature is of the most interest to us. :)

I'm a firm believer in it's use and I won't make Hash or RSO capsules without it.
    Any form works. Soy or sunflower based. Granules, Liquid or powder form.
    Roughly 1/6 the the oils volume is what Kats recipe calls for.
    1 tablespoon Cooking oil = 1/2 teaspoon Lecithin.

BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Hi I am so sorry I have not been on here in a long time I have really bad ADHD and when I get caught up and things I forget to check back in and other things I'm a mess it might be easier 2 talk on the phone if you're okay with that I will give you my number. I believe I can help you but probably a lot of back-and-forth troubleshooting questions

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hi I haven't been on in a while I was busy doing science experiments and tweaking recipes and I go down rabbit holes that last really long but I am back and how did I not know that your wife is a MasterChef? Because I love all things that glow in UV light I tried cats recipe a few different ways and they just won't work for me they stay soft and then they get kind of gummy and then they turn into a syrup but they work really good putting in the center of hard candy like a Tootsie Roll Tootsie Pop. Also following her direct oil method, I found that I didn't need to add tonic water to get the glowing effect. I use about one cup of granulated sugar about a quarter cup of corn syrup you could also use glucose syrup both are uv reactive. I add my food coloring before it reaches the 300-degree mark then I turn the heat off at 300 let it cool down in the pot for a minute and then pour my candy mixture out onto Silpat slowly to help cool it. I use my laser thermometer to make sure it's below 265 and then I add my flavoring and direct oil. I can lift the edges of the Silpat and fold the candy onto itself, you have to work quickly because it does start to firm up. I put on a few pairs of rubber gloves food grade and knead it like dough. After everything is mixed together you can leave it alone and it'll break apart like shatter candy or you can pull it and make beautiful shiny ribbon candy which you can cut with scissors or just snap apart but be careful you will have shards flying everywhere! You don't want to lose any of that oil I found that doing this insurers that I don't leave a lot of product in the pot. And between the direct oil, and corn syrup it gets a glowy effect

• Like Like x 1
  10. Also, about 1/2 cup water to pot, it's just to make sure the sugar doesn't burn before it melts

11. BNW
    Thank you for all the hard earned information you’re sharing.
    I’ve been looking at methods to reclaim ethanol. I’ve seen water distillers used. I’ve also looked at the ExtractCraft Source Turbo ($599 out of my budget). What type of still do you use to reclaim?

12. For chocolates I find it sooo much easier to decarb weed and grind it up- add it to the melted chocolate with alittle bit of lecithin and then put into mold

using tincture it so time consuming for chocolate usage.

• Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG]

$75.00
    I changed mine around a bit but it's this basic unit.
    [​IMG]

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Thanks BNW
    You could use that thing to brew your own 180 proof with a few small additions!
    Ironically, distilling grain alcohol is probably more readily prosecuted than other distillates.