UV light to remove chlorophyll from tinctures

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Immacrepe, Mar 16, 2021.

1. Hi, I'm new here so if this isn't the right forum, please excuse me and redirect. I'm a pastry chef by trade, and food science is one of my passions. I'm new to this tincture game, and I'm trying to help someone close to my heart who can no longer smoke get the medication they need so they don't go down a darker road for relief. I'll be making edibles, the stronger the better. My first tincture was decarbed (60 min @ 240°) and I used the AGG extractor (which I'm returning, after realizing I can do it better in the freezer) I used 151 everclear (now have 190) took it from green to red with sunlight and reduced it in a ban marie low and slow. It's cold AF today, so I didn't ventilate and I'm feeling pretty floaty. I've got a few questions
    1. Does this look normal?
    2. Are there certain odors that I should be wary of
    3. Can I use UVA,UVB, or UVC light to remove chlorophyll from GD instead of sunlight?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Working with 151 proof you are really are limited in how much you can reduce before it separates like yours has. At this point take it all the way down to tar and get the water gone by evaporation. I use a high speed fan and it's done overnight.
    If you want a stronger 151 Tincture add back Fresh 151 and stir until your RSO tar dissolves again.
    Working with 190 proof avoids this issue as it can be reduced without separation.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. @Immacrepe

Welcome to the City by the way.
    Stoners and we don't always remember the niceties.
    Let me dig up a few threads for you to check out.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  4. How I do Tincture.

[​IMG]
    4 very cold fifths of 185 proof recovered alcohol on hand and 2 half gallon jars of pre-decarbed weed scraps I knocked out some tincture.
    [​IMG]

A full frozen fifth of booze to a near full quart jar of decarbed ground buds.
    Shake 10 seconds and press out the Tincture with a potato ricer.
    Each full fifth gives me back about 500ml of tincture.

At this strength an eyedropper full is like smoking a joint alone. It'll whack you quite well. Doesn't need reduction to strengthen it IME.

I started making this to reduce to RSO and the request was for Full Spectrum so I didn't try to clean any chlorophyll from it.
    I recover the lost alcohol trapped in the weed in a separate step.

BNW

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Polishing extracts | Skunk Pharm Research
    Yes UV a-b-c will breakdown the chlorophyll as will 3-4 hours of sunlight. This also destroys some THC but at a slower rate then we need to be concerned with.

Tincture on me only lasts about an hour. Much the same as smoking. Instant stone of short duration.
    Edible oil such as the Hash Capsules last all day. The same recipe works with powdered bud it just takes more.

You have to wait for it is the biggest thing to get used to. 30-45 minutes in general for my capsules to kick in and it is a nice flat ride for most of the day.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  6. UV light breaks down the chlorophyll but whatever it breaks down to is still there. It changes green tincture to brown.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thank you! I did take it all the way, seemed like the right move. I'll be mixing with coconut oil, I've got sunflower lecithin if the need arises. Gummy bears and white chocolate to come! Also, still high on fumes, can't wait too see what 190 does to me

Attached Files:

8. Thank you!

9. Kats base recipe is what many of us use.

Decarb 240 F for 40 minutes

5 grams Kief or Hash or powdered buds or (RSO tar)
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Combine
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze (optional)
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes (Optional)
    Done.

A word of warning. If you haven't tested a new recipe or your altering one by adding infused oil or tincture to one we always suggest you make a "test dummy" batch to insure it works.
    Do everything excepting the cannabis.

Oiled gummy recipes that never set up are a common theme here and then they want a fix for the bowl of half melted goo.

[​IMG]
    My most indispensable cooking utensils are my 2 stainless steel cat food dishes and the Mr. coffee mug heater.
    I make both Kief-hash based capsules and an RSO version we make for former coworkers with serious medical issues.

A side note. RSO tastes evil. Like roof patching tar. So be prepared for it to alter the taste of things it's added to. I fill capsules with both types but the RSO are swallow fast and do not let them melt in your mouth. To top it off the stuff lingers on your taste buds and takes a long time to fade.

BNW

10. The 2 best gummy recipes seem to be crank out a normal batch of gummies.
    A.
    Drop 1 drop of Alcohol tincture per gum and work the whole tray.
    By the time you do the last the first one should be dry and you can put on the 2nd drop.
    And so on to what dose you choose.

B.
    Apply drop of high strength Coconut oil and dust with powdered sugar or...
    These will be harder to store and they'll want to stick.

Modifying the actual gummy recipe usually leads to a fail large or small.

For baked goods like cookies or brownies or hell most any food. Make the small batch of Kat's oil first.
    This incorporates the lecithin to it's best advantage.
    It's our strength enhancer. Gets more bang per mg or cannabis used.
    Then blend the tablespoon of super strength oil into the oil called for in your baked good then add the dry bits and cook normally.

BNW

11. Beyond grateful for all of the insight, and the time you took to help just solidifies what I already know about "stoners" .I've been going crazy with getting things ready to vend an edm show tomorrow night, and I'm a little(a lot ) all over the place. Being a perfectionist and having so much conflicting information is stressful as fuck! Imma trust u know your shit, but I was already into a recipe/method when i found this forum. If what I'm about to do doesn't give me insane results, I'm trying all of your suggestions. I'm about to strain an oz of beautiful,decarbed ,frozen bud out of 2 cups of frozen 190 Everclear, both in freezer24hrs+beforehand. I always tell everyone with recipes, read thoroughly first,mise en place and test batches, then do whatever the fuck you want. Ha!I had great results, taste and texture from the practice run of gummies, then the dispensary 1000mcg rso batch was perfect, but a little on the danky side. Tonight I made chocolate, with my tar,a little cold pressed coconut oil and 58% cacao from a batch I made from a 1/2 oz and 151 Everclear as a strength trial. If the results my guinea pig had are an indication, than after the tweaks and changes I made, this freezer tincture should be lit. I did have some mids that no one wanted to smoke, so i did the freezer extraction then sat it in front of a strong blacklight it was bright green, even though it decarbed alongside the good good. It totally works, as far as changing the color, faster than sunlight through a window. I'll have to update after it's used. Here's some updates, and the chocolate was even tempered, I haven't had any yet... the show I'm vending... but my contact high is wild. From Inhaling Everclear? I wear food grade gloves, I'm not big on alcohol buuuut what??? More research on that lol

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. You REALLY need to vent out the fumes from the evaporation of the everclear. Aside from the harm it does to your lungs it’s also super flammable!

13. I squeezed out my first run of Tincture with bare hands. And YES it does transdermal stone the hell out of you.
    LOL.
    Inhaled 190 proof fumes can make you drunk but it's not really harmful. The one issue with it is you can get far more drunk very fast and people have been so drunk as to be clinically dangerous.
    As long as you use a bit of venting your fine. Open a window or door and run a fan if needed.

I've been making edible oil Kief Capsules for about 7 years now and well over 30,000 Capsules created and taken or gifted.
    [​IMG]
    1000 capsules in a full jar.
    3 rounds of Colon surgery left me with serious internal adhesions that feel like a hand in my guts trying to rip them out through my navel.
    High dose THC shuts that off like flipping a switch.
    This stuff gave me back my Life.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Since we’re here...
    @BrassNwood , I just made up a batch of RSO ( or is it FECO now that we are using grain alcohol?) and have a good amount of the tar like substance. I’d like to cap it, can I use the same recipe as the hash caps? I’m thinking of warming it up, cutting with enough MCT oil to get it to a workable consistency, and maybe a pinch of lecithin to boost the bio availability?

• Like Like x 1
  15. That is exactly what I do with it.
    BadKats exact recipe.
    I try and eyeball the amount of tar and add a matching amount of Coconut oil and the usual dribble of Liquid Lecithin. Heat for 20 minutes at 220 F and it's good to go.
    Capsule that goo as it is bitter as can be.
    [​IMG]

I've got about 2000 ml of tincture made to work down myself and it'll be like this mid process.
    I have around 3 gallons of Bud scraps to run to tincture - RSO and only 8 fifths of 190 proof to work with.
    It's going to take a while and several runs of the still to capture my booze for another run.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  16. Right on, thanks boss!:metal:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. I appreciate the concern, but compared to the copious amounts of flour, bong rips,nitrous,cigarettes and philly air, inhaling a few fumes very occasionally isnt a concern. I'm in a decent sized house with a ceiling fan, open basement entryway and an open floorplan to the rest of the house. But I can definitely see how it could be a problem in a small enclosed area. Also, I am a chef by trade, before COVID19 I worked in old city at a pretty famous restaurant, I've got years of experience with alcohol and fire. I keep a lid right next to my pot, just like when I flambe. I haven't had the opportunity to test my own handiwork,because I'm a lightweight and I have obligations, I'm not a drinker, plus it's hard to find anything else fun to do with this quarantine, and I'm doing all of this to help my boyfriends mom. lemme have my lil fume high, I'll be careful...I promise; ) also, I just did a small test batch reduction of the danky mids in 190...definitely better fumes than 151 lol, forgive me, I'm buz zzzed

18. This is impressive, and a bit intimidating! I mean, I'm not growing, in philly... yet. I don't have a medical card,I don't even know my favorite strain, but dude will say, wait till you smell this one... I may request a bit of background from the bud with bud. I would enjoy a sommelier of smoke. I don't smoke often, but edibles hit different. I'm definitely enjoying the psychoactive effects, I actually prefer smoking weed with mushrooms or lsd. I've been passing out treats to the tired parents on my block aking for feedback, Friday? I'm going in! I'm sorry, I ramble... back to the subject, I don't know if I could be on your level,I have a lot of other passions but goddamn, if the apocalypse hits, can I hang out with you?
    : )

19. Amazing, what nature provides. It looks like you've found more than pain relief, I recognize the passion. It's a beautiful thing when someone finds a way to turn something awful into something positive, and now you're helping others. I'm from that camp,and I've been witnessing so many others going through awful things and rising above it. It changes you for the better, it makes my heart happier with every story. Thank you for sharing!

• Like Like x 2