Using a Hose Sized Ventilation Pipe

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Rizla+., Apr 4, 2021.

1. So, I have a small grow in my closet and I will be sealing it as tight as possible so that no air can get in or out and my main concern is that the oxygen my plants will be getting could be almost non-exsistent. My question is, will using a hose sized vent pipe running out of my window (or maybe even a gardening hose lol) be sufficient enough to give those plants some oxygen?

I have some space under my closet door where I can fit it in and seal it and I have some tiny fans I could use to make a DIY intake.

2. Once you get enough lights to actually grow you'll find you need a 4 inch exhaust fan / hole and a 6 inch passive intake hole.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. But would an inch and a 1/2 pipe work? I have no problem with opening the grow room to ventilate for a few hours on a weekday but I just want to make sure the plants are getting air at all times especially weekends. Just tryna keep up that Air | Plant relationship, yknow

4. It's better than nothing.

5. 1 an 1/2 inches is a far cry from a 1/2 or 5/8th garden hose
    Fan assisted an inch and a half would exchange air well enough for what your asking.
    Assuming a dimly lit space with really pathetic plants. Tiny wispy buds.

Even LEDs generate heat and unvented heat will soon cook cannabis. You can't have both. A cool space and fat buds. Cannabis needs LIGHT and lots of it to give good flowers.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Not like I'm entering my buds for a beauty pageant, just tryna get enough to keep me high when my better highs run out but I'll keep the other stuff in mind, thanks.

7. Some of the newer COB (Chip on board) singles are suitable for a single plant grow and only draw 100watts. Still 100 watts of heat to deal with but it'll put out enough light to do the job.

BNW

8. I was actually thinking about building a DIY one or possibly getting a quantum board, got any suggestions?

9. Haha, Maybe try a really hefty fishtank air pump outside the closet pumping thru a 1/2" airline into the closet ;).
    Then use the hose exhausting out the top of the closet to outside.
    Really no good solutions if you want to keep it sealed unless you're going with a co2 setup, but then you'll need a lot more light.
    If you're worried about smell get a 4" exhaust fan and a carbon canister and exhaust from top of the closet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Thats a great idea, fishtank pumps are fairly inexpensive and I won't have to run it all the way to my window. The smell itself isn't that big an issue, I'm going to put some containers filled with Ona Gel around my house and hopefully it'll mask the smell a lil. Thanks once again for the great advice man.

11. I might also submerge the end of my exhaust pipe into some water mixed with ona gel, it might potentially be even more effective that way but I'm mainly doing that cus it'll look kinda cool with all the bubbles and a coral reef theme.

12. Heres a recipe i found to make your own ona gel.

Heat 1 cup of distilled water to boiling. Stir in 4 packages of unflavored gelatin (e.g., Knox) until dissolved. Remove the mixture from heat and stir in the other 1 cup water. Add 10-20 drops of essential oil or other concentrated fragrance.
    I like cinnamon essential oil as its not as harsh as mint or lavenders.

13. Definitely gonna use this alongside Ona, as I heard the pro one smells exactly like urinal cakes.