ultrasonic fogger grows

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by weedbee, Nov 27, 2019.

1. with these inexpensive ultrasonic foggers being 2-3 bux now i expected this would create a wave of new aeroponic grows for dirt cheap. however am not finding big discussion leading to that conclusion.

i just watched a youtube that compares 4 methods of growing the same veggies and his fogger tomatoes produced the most yield.

i noticed that sometimes my fogger seems to stop working so are these thing unreliable or no?
    are they able to put enough food and water into the roots?

i'm abondoning dwc because air pumps are clunker technology and and portable heaters.
    you are putting small air into big water when it seems the equation should be flipped by putting small water into big air.

a sprinkler can pentetrate the roots without drowing them and warm temps and clogged stones sicken roots until they rot and die.

2. Ultrasonic humidifiers contain those foggers.
    My experience is that they have a lifetime of about 1 year.
    Sometimes shaking out all the water and letting them dry out revives them, sometimes not.

As delicate as these foggers are, I'm suspicious about their being able to fog with nutes without rapidly clogging.

My DWC plants get plenty enough root oxygen, and beyond a certain point more oxygen doesn't help.

Air pumps might be clunker technology, but some of us prefer that to unreliable new-fangled technology.

Add top feed to your DWC if you need more air.
    That's what I do, and the main problem is too much growth.

3. .....unreliable or no?

Foggers/Aeroponics was abandoned years ago due the the nozzles being blocked

and or uncontrollable heat drying out the roots ...at leat in my tests

the latest in dwc is from Prof Kratky of Ha

good luck

4. you are really just professor kratky incognito arent you?

5. Been using ultrasonic foggers for over 7 years.
    The "House of Hydro" has stainless ones which will not dissolve in your grow.
    Check the link to my rig.

6. i'm a low budget hobbyist and was looking at the affordability of the $3 foggers on ebay.
    I gave up on that now.
    I noticed the cheapies are not reliable.

here is my current question for timings.
    mediumless sprinkler on-off timings wanted.

thanks.

7. This is important. Increasing oxygen doesn't do anything. Here's a scientific study

Effect of dissolved oxygen concentration on lettuce growth in floating hydroponics. - PubMed - NCBI

"There was no significant difference in fresh weight, shoot and root dry weights among the DO concentrations: 2.1 (25% of saturated at 24 degrees C), 4.2 (50%), 8.4 (saturated), and 16.8 (200%) mg/L. The critical DO concentration for vigorous lettuce growth was considered to be lower than 2.1 mg/L. Neither root damage nor delay of shoot growth was observed at any of the studied DO concentrations."

Wether you are at 50% saturation or 200% saturation, it'll be the same exact growth

8. UPDATE to this thread.

If you have or are using foggers, you may have noticed the "soup" will attack the metal retaining rings, causing a leak around the ring which then shorts out the fogger.

I am evaluating some stainless steel retaining rings that I had fabricated.

9. My very first system was a 13 usable gallon General Hydropoics Ecogrower.
    (I stopped using it because I needed a shorter setup, but really like it)
    It has no air stone, but does use an air pump for "air lift" top feed.
    The air pump is tiny, but the growth was excellent.
    This is evidence that not much oxygen is needed.

I also have used a Current Culture DeepWaterCulturePro system that bragged about how good its aeration system was. It had a huge air pump and 3 ft long long air ring. They claimed that because of that you only need EC=0.7 max to get explosive growth.
    They were correct about the 350 ppm being enough, but not about why that was true. This highly oxygenated system and the low oxygenated Ecogrower yielded about the same, but ecogrower did use ppm closer to 500.

I've also accidentally left the air pump off for 24 hours, and the plants didn't notice.
    Reservoirs definitely need air, but not as much as is commonly believed.