Tips for the Home Gardener

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by doinYoda, Jun 30, 2010.

1. First if you are newbie then you must decide where you want to do a gardening. Planning for waht kind of plant you want to grow and starting from seeds as well. Make sure that whatever plant you going to be growing take care of it very rigorously. Have some knowledge about all plants and clean your garden three or four times in week or else call professionals to clean the garden.

2. Thanks for sharing nice information but It is helpful for my gardener because I never gardening in my garden. But I know about every thing for gardening but I am very lazy I never did gardening. But when I will do it useful for me.

3. It's my pleasure oliverrathbone that my information will provide right direction. If you any confusion for gardening then You can ask me any time. I am glad to answer your queries.

4. THis is how we've done it for years. We have almost 100 4 x 4 raised beds. We grow enough food for our family plus we sell at the local farmer's market. We grow some things in rows (potatoes, corn) but everything else we do in the squares. I believe square foot gardening is the way to go.

5. when growing in kiddie pools how many holes should i put in the bottom of the pool

6. Blossom rot on tomatoes is caused from caluim deficiency ,calcuim deficiency can be caused from uneven watering witch causes air pockets, let your soil dry out than flood it intill the soil is fully saturate than let it dry back out research dry/wet cycles.As for adding match stick heads i beleave thats un even fertilizer in the soil meaning some roots get fert others dont i beleave letting your soil dry out before fert gives you an even fert in your soil,to adjust your soil PH add cow manure from like homedepo witch is neatral 7 on the PH scale 0-14 ,7 BEING NETRAL.

7. The Gardening in a Garden is a very carefully working. Always consider grow plants in garden with some spaces & also provide water of plants in two time's daily basis. The best Gardener always considers protect & secure the Garden from the insert they use insert kill spray & other medicine. The efficient tips for the making beautiful & healthy garden cut grasses, flowers & leaves time to time without any delay. These are all the best & primary tips for creating beautiful garden.

8. Raised beds rule. I try to keep mine ship-shape, but the bottom of the map locale = tropical weeds and bugs and critters.

In exchange, it's January and I just finished eating five spring pea pods and a cucumber from the garden, so I guess it balanced!

9. You can buy soil testing kits at Lowe's and Wal Mart for cheap. They come with 4 "vials" with capsules in them. They test pH,& NPK. At Lowe's you can buy the Burpee's brand for $3.97 or some other brand for around $2 at Wal Mart. The instructions aren't very clear on the ones from Wal Mart. The Burpee one is better.
    Another tip, if you're a newbie or don't really know what to plant, you can buy Burpee Simple Solutions. I'm not sure of all the kinds they have but I bought one for around my mailbox. It has Black-eyed Susans, zinnias, Egyptian Pea Vine and Nastrutium seeds. You plant them around your mailbox or lampost garden and then they bloom at different times of the year so you have blooms around your mailbox for all seasons. I got mine at Lowe's for around $4 I believe. :D

10. It was so warm here today, I cleaned out the greenhouse, can't wait to plant. Kinda behind though....

11. Can someone explain how i put pictures up on a post..i go to image & it says URL

12. I've never tested my soil and everything I grow looks greater then great this year for me.  
    Add a couple bags of peat moss and some compost every year and that's it.
    I walk through the alleyways in my neighborhood and less then a handfull of the gardens can match the growth that I have for the time of year that it is.  I'm the only one with almost ripe tomatoes and peppers and my cauliflower is already developing a head. My growing season started around May 24 so something good going on in the ground in my backyard.
    I wonder what all my soil levels are at now that I read this thread.
    Time to learn how to test I guess! 

13. I haven't really ever tested either.  The only thing we have that won't grow well in just regular soil (I also add a lot of peat moss and manure, maybe some sand if the soil is more like clay) is blueberries.  THey have to have VERY acidic soil, so I grown them in almost pure peat moss.  They're doing really well this year!  We don't use any chemicals,...I think that's why we have such good luck with plants.  If you just keep adding to the soil, feeding it (manure, peat moss, compost) it just gets better and better each year. 

14. nice blog. It is very informative for gardening. If you like plants then you can use hydroponic producta for growing plants. Hydroponic producs are best for plants growth. you can buy these products from store within reasonable rate.

15. How much water should I use for baby s

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16.  I have a few suggestions for the home vegetable garden, Don't plant the same thing in the same place year after year. Tomatoes and peppers and potatoes are all members of the Nightshade family and repeated plantings of these plants in the same place year after year WILL cause problems! You need to rotate your crops.
    Also a lot  of people only grow in the spring and summer. You need to learn to plant a winter garden. If you can't find manures for soil enrichment plant Fava beans or Sugar snap peas. When the crop is done till it into the ground for a GREEN manure.
     The price of plants at the nursery is ridiculous and who needs 6 of one kind? Learn to save your seeds and grow your own plants! It will save you some money.
     A real big deal is how many of us leave wooden handled tools out in the weather! They wont last forever with this abuse. So what I do is get some boiled linseed oil and paint thinner. Mix the oil at about 60% to 40%thinner and when the hot days of summer are here stack all the garden tools up out in the hot sun and paint this mixture on them day after day until they won't absorb anymore. Don't forget  the wheelbarrow. I like to do this during a heat wave with several days in the 100's. Well I could go on and on but I thought these were some good points of interest. Hope it helps. PJ

17. Here's another tip. Take a 5 gallon clear plastic water bottle and cut the bottom out of it for a miniature  greenhouse! If you have access to a roto zip tool it makes cutting the bottom out easy. You can jump start your plants outdoors sooner. I use these for maters, peppers and squash only :laughing:

18. #38 Judgement, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  19. How do you know when it is too late to top your plants

Sent from my LG-P769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Great thread yoda, this is great information for every type of gardener.