Tincture Help

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by indian_stoner, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Hi so I recently read up on cannabis tinctures and was very intrigued by the idea. I normally just smoke oil but I decided the next time I pick up I should get some bud and make a tincture.

I got 4 grams of J1 bud (jack herer crossed with skunk #1) from cali (im from wisconsin so the weed here is normally eh..)

I ground up the 4 grams and put it in the oven at 220F for 60 minutes, mixing up the weed on the tray after 30 minutes. After an hour I opened the oven to the most magical smell.

I let the herb dry for about 5-10 minutes and pour it into a small 4oz mason jar and pour in 3oz of 195 proof everclear.

I have been steeping this solution for about 3 days now. It is a very dark green and smells more like decarbed bud than alcohol. I plan on steeping for 50 days. During the day I steep at room temp and at night from 10pm to 6am i steep in the freezer.

I plan on evaporating some of the alcohol after 50 days to decrease the volume and thus increase thc concentration.

does anybody have any tips to help increase thc potency in tinctures? or any tips for enhancing the flavor?

TL;DR : does anybody have any tips to help increase thc potency in tinctures? or any tips for enhancing the flavor?

2. I don't think you need to steep it for anywhere near that long but I'm sure it won't hurt, unless you don't like the flavor you get.

Tips on enhancing flavor, I've read that the longer you steep it...the nastier the flavor.

Tips on increasing potency...use more weed.

Otherwise it looks to me like you've got the system down.

I infused 3oz of my homegrown bud into everclear then evaporated down to 4 fluid ounces (decarbed as well). That made it so that 4 drops (not dropper fulls) sets me for a while. I feel like I'll never run out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I took it out after 8 days. Strained the plant material and used the same material to cook into a few tbls of butter. Probably will have more cbd but should still be a good butter buzz eapecially when i take a couple dabs after

4. Don't know if anyone will respond to this old thread, but are you saying that heating the tincture will decarb? How did you evap, at what temp? For how long? Is there an advantage to not decarbing the bud in the oven before adding everclear?

5. You need to read the thread called Green Dragon. You can put it in the search.

It tells the exact directions on how to make really good tinctures.

6. yeah, was looking at that, thanks

7. I was wondering if you can decarb a batch of steeping mix that wasn't previously decarbed? I was reading about natural decarbing over time, also. I'd also like to know what the minimum temp for decarbing is, and how long???

8. I don't recommend trying to decarb by heating the tincture. As I recall, decarbing takes place around 220deg, which is much hotter than you can, or would want to, get tincture. Tincture is flammable, hot tincture vapor is even moreso. Safety first.

I evaporate by putting the tincture in a stainless or glass bowl then setting that over a pot of simmering/boiling water. Keep watching it because once it gets warm it can evaporate pretty quickly. If you want to have a little more control, use a glass measuring bowl/vessel so you can see how much it's reducing and stop the process where you want it.

I can only imagine there's an advantage to not decarbing if you are looking to get the cannabinoids without getting high. You'll need to decarb before in order to utilize the THC for getting high.

9. Thanks, I've been told it'll naturally decarb over time(4mo. or so), so I'm gonna set it aside and check it on 1/1/20. Got another batch of golden liquid, properly decarbed and reducing...can't wait to try the results! This was from straight sugar leaf GG4, any idea what would be a good starting dose? I was thinking 1/8 tsp...too much not enuf???

10. 250 F for 30 min
    240 F for 40 minutes. This the most used and tested decarb here.
    230 F for 50 min
    220 F for 60 minutes This is as low as I'd go as the THC-a to THC conversion drops markedly below that temps if I remember the graph.

[​IMG]
    I start with an eyedroppers worth and see what it does after 3 minutes. Tincture hits fast like toking and wears off equally fast in about 45 minutes on me.

[​IMG]
    A near full quart jar of rough ground buds.
    A full fifth of near frozen 151-190 proof ever clear.
    Shake 15 seconds.
    Done
    Squeeze with potato ricer.
    [​IMG]
    Toss remains on compost pile.
    BNW

11. What's the reason for cold everclear??? Also freeze the buds/trim?

12. I've got some 2 yr old kief that I was gonna add to some tincture for extra potency...would I decarb or not?