Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Tincture attempt question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Pass_00, Jul 30, 2016.

1. hey fellow mmj community, first time poster and new to medical canabis.

I was gonna attempt to decarb in the toaster oven but it was all over the place temperature wise using a digital thermometer. So I decided to check the ability of my kitchen oven and it turned out to be extremely consistent holding temp. I put a dial temp gauge inside to further monitor the heat. I only used 5g of bud broken up on a baking pan which I then covered with tin foil.

Oven set at 235F and baked for 40 minutes. I monitored temp through the entire process. Temp reached 265F for approx two minutes (initial when I opened door to place inside), then the temp stayed between 240-250 for the remainder of the time. Mainly staying closer to 240 for the duration. My question is my bud didn't turn brown like others I seen. I maybe seen a very small amount of browning and a deeper darker green bud appearance. Was this not a total decarb u think? I let it cool with the tinfoil on for the terpenes. I must of achieved some sort of decarb right?

It is now in a mason jar with 5 oz of 76% vodka. Gonna let it sit in freezer for two days then at room temp for two days. Then I was planning on boiling it down a little bit so to concentrate it.
    Thanks guys.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Your decarb is good. Fresher material isn't going to turn brown at those temperatures. Older material that hasn't been well stored will brown up also higher temperatures will turn even fresh material brown. While I recommend 240°F for 40 minutes instead of 235°, you had enough fluctuation and time at 240-250 to give you a full decarb. The short time at the higher temperature wasn't enough to do harm. I say 240 for the temp but mine always runs 240-250, too.

You won't be able to reduce it much because it is only 76% alcohol and has more water content than a 95%. With the latter you can reduce however much you want but the additional water in the lower proof vodka will cause your cannabinoids to separate.

You can use that separation, though, to create a very potent tincture with one additional step. If you take that step then you can achieve a great product. That extra step is to continue letting everything evaporate from the jar which will leave a dark oil on the bottom of your jar. That is your cannabis oil from that 5g along with some sugars from the vodka. That's your potency right there. It hasn't been harmed by the extra step.

After it's all evaporated and the gooey oil is left pour 1oz of the fresh vodka (room temp or lightly warmed) into the jar and stir it until it dissolves completely. You may need to warm it lightly to expedite that. Once that's complete you'll have a kick butt tincture with a potency ratio of 5g/oz. It should only take a few drops. Be careful or you can use more alcohol for a more dilute tincture. :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. Hey PsychedelicSam! Thanks you so much for your reply and a very fast one at that!

Thanks about the decarb I had a feeling that it was a good decarb but wasn't 100% sure. I'm resting easy now in that regard lol. Is the two days in the freezer and two days room temp a good idea or just freezer the whole time?

So about the Evap part. How would I go about doing that (do I leave the lid off the jar to let the alcohol slowly evaporate? I could see that taking a long time?) Would it be a strong tincture as is after the 5 days (after strain and clearing debris)? Im using a near 30% thc indica strain solely for sleep purposes. Sorry for all the questions I really appreciate any replies.

4. @Pass_00
    I only do a 5-10 minute frozen wash of 151 proof-75% ever clear (best I can get in California) as longer didn't bring enough additional stone in for all the bitterness the added time soaking brought along.. Something you can play with to suit your own taste.. I like to shoot some under my tongue for a fast kicker and the short wash is best for that IME..
    I use just enough more alcohol then ground bud so I can agitate by shaking the jar a few times.. Sample your tincture as is to start with.. If you used good grade of bud and a minimum of alcohol it may not need reduction and reconstitution.. Mine comes out potent enough that an eyedropper or 2 under the tongue is felt in 60 seconds or less..
    Reduction I used a 12x12x1 inch baking pan with a computer fan blowing over it for the night.. Was down to water and tar by morning and a few hours in the sun evaporated the remaining water off.. At that point a bit of fresh 151 let me work the tar off the pan and it can be further thinned to taste-desire or mixed with coconut oil and lecithin for caps-cooking with..
    A bit of warning do NOT squeeze out the alcohol from the weed bare handed as you can get one hell of a transdermal stone that way.. (Ask me how I know) :) Gloves and cheese cloth.. Potato ricer, Garlic press, all work..
    BNW

• Like Like x 2
  5. The natural evaporation can take a few days depending on how much surface area you have and if it has any air flowing over it,like a fan. You can actually do it in a hot water bath or double boiler set up to speed it up. BNW has some good suggestions.

Although you may think that using less alcohol to extract your material, that's not the case. Alcohol has an extraction threshold. With a more dilute product you'll need more of it to extract the maximum amount of cannabinoids.That's not a problem with 190+ alcohol but with a lower proof you'll need more than you would the high proof because there is less alcohol for extraction.

If you're using a lower proof like what you've just used I highly recommend a hash/kief tincture instead. Your cannabinoids are already concentrated and all that excess material is gone. You can just use a small amount of your alcohol to extract and you don't need further reduction. It's really easy. Here's a quick slideshow from my thread for that particular item. 151 Kief Green Dragon Tincture Slideshow Post 8433.

There's no need for the 5 days. Here's another of my videos with my favorite method. You'll have the extra step at the end but the rest is the same. Green Dragon Tutorial Video Post #9679

If you have more questions about it, please feel free to ask any questions or comment on any of the content in the thread that contains those links. Don't let the length of the thread worry you. I closely monitor it and try to respond as quickly as I can. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. I have read you comments on your tolerance, so I know that 10 drops of normally reduced may not help.

Since all my medicine comes in 10 gram bags and I get 60 grams per month I am allowed 2 grams per day. I make all my tinctures to a strength of 6 grams of cannabis per ounce of ethanol.

At the concentration I mentioned, two droppers under the tongue would be unnecessary and for many a really bad way to spend a day..

BTW, BNW how much hash to you get from say an ounce of cannabis in your hashmaster?

• Like Like x 1
  7. We run 1/2 gallon jars in 1/3rds at a time.. Each 1/2 gallon jar hold about 400 grams of bud and we get back between 15 and 20 grams of 160 micron hash from the hashmaster
    Each small 4 ounce ball jar has about 15 grams of dry ice hash in it.. Each represents a 1/2 gallon jar of bud..
    [​IMG]
    BNW

8. Thanks for all replies especially to BNW and PSam thanks a lot guys.

I was at work when I was doing the whole forum thing. When I got home I quickly ran to the jar in the freezer and seen the trichome line just like in your video PSam. That is a good sign im guessing. Anyways I filtered it with a similar filter u used and did a second rinse (I'm in no hurry just want the process down). Will let it go for 24 hrs. I used 1.5 ounces as a rinse. I put the first filtered stuff in a cabinet to wait for the rinsed stuff. There should be a picture below. The other picture is of the tincture after first filter.

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Everything look ok here? When I get home tonight I still haven't fully decided what to do next. The boil down method - it isn't risky if I monitor the temp of the tincture with a digital thermometer and stay under 200F right? Or should I do the evaporation technique with a fan. I have cats here so would have to find a room and set it up. so total I have 6.5 ounces of fluid with the extra 1.5 used as rinse. What should be the goal to boil this down to if I choose that method and what do u reccommend is best.

Thanks again guys.

9. You can put it in a jar in a hot water bath. The temperature of the water never gets above the boiling point so a thermometer isn't needed. Since you have cats I would recommend using the water bath for a quicker process and you won't take a chance of the cats or any cat hair getting into it.

Since it's only 76% alcohol, reduce the liquid all the way down until you have a gooey oil on the bottom. At that point add a fluid ounce of your fresh vodka and stir until all the oil on the bottom has dissolved. You may need to warm it a little bit to help dissolve it. As soon as that is finished, your tincture is ready for use. It should only take a few drops to do the job. :)

10. Hey thank you so much again Psam. I will boil it down tommorow for sure. Wanted to ask another question. how many times should I strain it roughly. And should I coat the filters or cheese cloth in alcohol and ring it out before straining?
    Thanks again all

11. I strain it once then filter it through a paper coffee filter. It won't hurt to moisten your cheesecloth and filter with alcohol first. That will keep them from absorbing so much of your solution. Every little bit helps. When you reconstitute the oil you should have a clean solution, green but clean. :)

12. I'm currently boiling it down right now gently like in ur video. I'm noticing some black accumulation as its getting lower. I'm also gently stiring it as well. Will that break up when I pour the fresh alcohol 1oz over it? It's slowly getting slightly more viscous.
    image.jpeg

13. Don't stir it. You'll get cannabis oil stuck to your tool. The black spots are your cannabis oil that's layered out. The milkiness will go away and you'll be left with a dark layer on the bottom and maybe the sides. When you add the fresh alcohol that will all dissolve. Those dark spots and layer is your potency. :)

14. duplicate post.

15. I added the 1 oz. there is some black dots that aren't going away should I strain it again or just bottle as is? It's exactly one oz total at this point. Maybe a tad more. I've heated it to try and break it down but it doesn't want to.

16. Can you send a pic? Don't filter it.

17. I had the spoon in there the whole time. Here's a bit of the dots image.jpg

18. That's still real milky which it shouldn't be. Let all that completely evaporate again. We want all that milkiness gone before adding the fresh alcohol. Take the spoon out and just let it evaporate until it's a dark oil. When you add the fresh alcohol it should be amber and pretty clear. :)

19. Ok thanks man. Boiling it down currently again. Will leave spoon out this time and next time.

20. Let me see a pic of it before you add the alcohol. Here's a video that I made for something else but it contains this step. The first part of it isn't relevant but start watching at the 28 minute mark and that will give you the visuals you'll need.