Ti Vs Glass Nail

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by trixman22, Feb 22, 2012.

1. same; I've been starting to think quartz is the way to go

2. Quartz should never break, at least not from daily use.

QUARTZ FTW

3. Doesn't it melt or corrode? Does it give off a fume when you heat it?

4. Ti till I die t.i. know why vapor dabs float to the sky just as I and ini yet people say crack and coca no its juts a dab ah dabba thcsmokah

5. Yes it will melt, with a glassblowing torch strong wnough to work quartz :p

And yes, technically it does off-gas, and so does your Ti.

6. I can't seem to get my glass nail hot enough to get a proper dab....I'm using a butane torch but idk I'd the torch isn't powerful enough or glass just cools off way too quick

7. Cool dabs are where its at though, less heat=more flavor! Just carb the dome if it cools down and you can catch the last of the vapor.

you can see me do it here
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLVYLOQUD6w]Goodnight! - YouTube[/ame]

8. I mean I get it hot but cools down before I even finish the dab and just stops burning

9. Hence the carbing, have you tried? always works for me.

10. Quartz. Quartz. Quartz.

11. Yes but my dabs are tiny, size of a ball on a pin, and it still won't burn it all off, I don't think carbing it at the end is gonna help, I think its the glass nail

12. You think wrong, my friend :)

only other reason I could see that not working is if you never got the nail hot enough to begin with. Much like quartz, you should get it nice and red and then wait for the red to go away before dabbing.

13. So im starting to think that the only reason people say they get a better taste off glass or quartz is because glass & quartz heat up slower than Ti and are prob colder when they hit it. I have never noticed a difference in taste personally, nor have i gotten a metallic taste off titanium. Whatever works

14. I wouldn't say I notice a metallic taste. It is hard to describe for me, its just different. Even when I dab off my buddy's Ti, I let that shit cool

15. Whoa bro what was up with that dab haha like a string of budder or whaa?? That was legit though I want that hit right now at work haha

16. I agree, less heat, more flavor. You gota find that sweet spot; bc sometimes it just melts and doesn't vape cleanly if its too cool. I love that piece bro, nice, must be smooth. I have a bong attachment with mines, with a precooler, so the drag is more than those rigs, but the showerhead is awesome..

17. I am new to dabbing. After trying a few titanium nails I decided to go with glass as I seem to think the glass tastes better. My nail and dabber are both glass and the flavor is astonishing. I am going to need a better torch to get the nail at dab-temp, then re-heat it as needed. Using a lighter torch will not do. Glass does not seem to retain heat as well as the titanium, but after all these years I have no desire to resume using metal of any kind. Time will tell if the lure of titanium wins me over. For now I have 2 glass nails and they both seem to work nicely. I live in Sonoma County in California and my friendly local neighborhood glass blower will make me more glass nails as needed. Yumz.

18. #78 AfganiKush, May 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2013
    The improved flavor is probably a result of glass heating up slower than titanium. With a small cigar torch, glass is not going to get very hot in the first place, so you are probably vaping your terpenes at a very low temp. If glass works for you then keep using it, but i personally dont believe glass or quartz to have better flavor. I think its just people who heat their Ti red hot and incinerate the flavor, then blame the metal for the bad taste, and then they try glass which will probably be a few hundred degrees cooler than titanium in the same heat up time. Just my reasoning on the subject.

19. I was having the same thought! I think I will incorporate a Ti nail into my dabbing bar as my guests may want the alternative. You are correct--the Ti nail hits I did were hot! This caused flavor problems and coughing. And with these glass nails I am barely getting them hot enough, therefore incredible flavor, but some waste. Finding the correct balance will definitely take some practice and a better blow torch. I am also putting health and quality of materials at the top of my priority list so any comments on 'health effects' with glass Vs. Ti vs. quartz are also very welcome. Thanks a lot.

20. If you want to be able to get that great flavor without the waste, you need a bigger nail head. The more mass it has, the better it retains heat. A large head, with a big flat surface to dab on is more efficient than a small, deep, cup-like head- its all about surface area. If you really like glass, i suggest talking with the guy making them and see if he can make thicker, heavier heads to retain heat better.