Theory about Time

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fighters2, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Past tense? Time already is infinite, there is no beggining or end. You'll find proof if you look for it. You're right the universe is an ever expanding vacuum. Makes sense when we run out of room we'll implode. I once had a roommate that ate so many doritos he collapsed in on himself, into a black hole. o_o

2. hahah, i just deleted a huge post.

i have too much crazy stuff about time i cannot put into words :p

3. yea man i understand what your talking about. Hard to explain but one day while really stoned my teacher made a timeline of her life. And somehow it all hit me. Time is a very very scary concept if you really think about it.

4. when i was tripping balls for the first time on shrooms i thre my clock behind my tv stand because i didnt want to know what time it was while i was tripping. i managed to figure out that as real as time is, it is also all just in your head. yes, every second, minute, hour, day, is technically the same amount of measured time, but the passage of 5 minutes measured time does not always feel like it is actually the same exact length of time. like they say time flies when your having fun. i could be completly wrong but this idea makes sense to me. time is very hard to explain obviously, so this probably is hard to understand. basiacally what im getting at is that the amount of time passed in the brain, and the amount of measured time in hours, minutes, seconds, etc. doesnt always match up. like how minutes seem to take hours and shit like that. it all seems very obvious because we all have been waiting for something and it always seems to take longer, or when a night goes by so fast you barely even realize it. its just something we take forgranted not realizing how strange it is that our brains process the amount of time passed differently on different occasion. i still dont know if i made what i am trying to say clear enough, but ive done it the best way i can put into words and it makes sense to me atleast lol

about the timeline thing, and how the "n" is in the past before you finish the word now. that also makes sense, but it doesnt mean you dont exist. you can divide time up into as many tiny, tiny, tiny fragments as you can, figuring out the time it takes for your vocal cords to vibrate each time to make a tiny sound, and stretch out the timeline so theres more fractions of time than you can count, but no matter how many times youd ivide up time, its never gonna be 0. like my life may take up 1/10th of time (i wish) or 1/1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000th of time (im probably not even gonna live that long) but it doesnt matter how long time has gone on before me, or after me, the my existance in time will never go away, it will be less and less significant as time goes on and on and on and on that eventually my significance will be completly inconsignificant in the big picture, but i will still have that tiny piece of time where i did exist, and that cant be taken away from me. even if i was born and died immediatly, it doesnt mean i didnt exist at that point in time. you can break the timeline up into as many little pieces as you want, but my existance is always gonna be there, no matter how small or insignificant it was.

5. too true, i dont know nearly enough to pretend like i know what im talking about. there are way more knowlegable poeple who think on this topic all kinds. Einstien was the man dude, he solved like every problem with the laws of physics. But as far as i know, theory of relativity was disproved... or at least one theory of relativity, i think there are many.

6. http://www.wbabin.net/sokolov/sokolov.htm

I believe this is what you speak of. It's experimental proof that the theory of special relativity can be contested. It's pretty fleshed out and makes for a good but LONG read. Despite this, albert einsteins, theory of general relativity still holds strong.
    Admitting how little you know shows just how little ignorance you posses.

7. time as such does not exist it is merely a human conception the relevence of whitch merely seems to be keeping track of a physical existance and record of life on earth but the true meaning of time is only applicable when you view life as continuos and over lapping in many dimensions and realitys and the only purpose of time is to awaken the mind to the truth of eternal life and the value of being able to exist in the freedom of the enlightened and real state of spirit awareness and understand that all life is continuos and therefore immessurable by human evaluation

8. Well time does exist. The only thing human introduced was time measurment. We've got past and future. And, although I showed a mathematical theory on it's non-existance, the present does exist, too, or we wouldn't exist.

9. time only exists in theory in fact there is no beggining and no end so how can time be thought of in any other way apart from a temporal value of the awakening of the spirit ,which as i say is only temporal and will only be understood when you no longer look on life from a bodily view, open the spiritual mind and you will get it

10. The fact that time is infinite doesn't make it non-existant. If you did anything yesterday and can remember it and are sure that you did that, then you did that in the past and thus time exists. Edit: Dunno if it's a fact, but I do assume it is...
    Don't get it, but for me temporal means for a defined periode of TIME.

To me what you said sounds like jibberish, no offense, so if you'd care to elaborate? Open my spiritual mind? Some say you can travel in time with your spirit and see into the past and the future. Still means there is time. And you shouldn't deny your bodily self. It's quite important, too. After all, without your liungs, you couldn't smoke...

11. dude i know exactly what you're saying. time is fucking awesome man. such a great concept which simply baffles even the most intelligent humans.

12. The theory that time only exists in the physical dimension (wich we don't necessarily know) is irrelevant. That doesn't mean it ceases to exist. The driving force of the universe is the result of the interrelationship between time and space. You can't just subtract one part of the formula and expect reality to continue on as it is. The physical dimension, including time, is part of the construct. Without it I suspect the entire continuum would collapse. Despite how spiritualy inclined you are, time is still a relevant force.

Temporal: Of or relating to the material world, or limited by time.

You are correct in thinking of time as a temporal thing. I suspect when we ascend from this chapter in our lives we will ascend beyond time as well. This chapter being what you would normally think of as your lifetime. I just do not acknowledge physical death as the death of your life.

13. bringing back a good one

14. yeah.. but this one gave me a headache

15. Yeah I had a thought kind of like that the other day:

Whats happened in the past is an infinite number of relaitvely similar instances which last for the shortest possible time interval.

If we are in the middle of one interval then it will eventually become past and then unchangeable and done. If the future is an infinite number of intervals that are waiting in line to happen (become present and then past) then the future will become past and therefore is no different then past. If past is done forever and impossible to change then future is the same. So all time is kind of meaningless.

I just thought this up to show what I'm thinking :

o + + + + + + + +
    - o + + + + + + +
    - - o + + + + + +
    - - - o + + + + + +
    - - - - o + + + + +
    - - - - - o + + + +
    - - - - - - o + + + +
    - - - - - - - o + + +
    - - - - - - - - o + +
    - - - - - - - - - o + +
    - - - - - - - - - - o +
    - - - - - - - - - - - o

So time is a infinitely small thread through an infinitely big field of non-existant instances.

16. Let me introduce you to my good friend digit: http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?t=68758

17. Time is merely a conceptual measurement based on human observation.

"There is no present, there is only the immediate future and recent past" - George Carlin

18. Time exists....and it is a dimension.

However, the human brain is only able to perceive time as infinite....and therefore the time in which we exist and live is also infinately small. And you all know something infinity small = 0. At least thats all our brain can comprehend it as.

From this you can see the human brain's fascination (or puzzlement) with infinity. Why do we create religion? Its faith in the belief that our conciousness has no end....or is infinite. The number system? Infinite. You will also learn in calculus and other advanced mathematics that the only way it works is with infinity.

So whats wrong with using infinity to explain things then? Well maybe that is best answered with a question - what is infinity?

19. i did that once when i was little on my big wheel.