The Scrog Method

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by greenmonster714, Oct 22, 2004.

1. After a year under my belt I'm ready to start moving on to some different methods.

Currently I have 2 rooms built into my garage. a 5x10 veg area with 2 T5 panels and a 8x10 flower room with 2 1000 watt air cooled lights. I've been growing in soil, and just hand watering. Currently I have 12 going, right now budding I have Cannalope Kush, Jack Herer, and Hawaiian Sour D. My next run will be Jack Herer and I picked some Blue Dream I'm gonna give a shot at. Right now I was topping the Cannalope 2x and everything else 1 and I'm getting 3oz per plant until my summer run. Installed AC but wasn't powerful enough to keep the temps down.

I'm really interested in going to the SCROG method. My plan is to top the girls I just transplanted in their 5 gallon pots here in a few days. Then I will experiment with some LST training. My last Veg was just over 60 days, which I'm planning on repeating and just keeping them as bushy and as even as possible. Once my next run is dry I will figure out the heighth I need and make the screens. I'm planing on putting them into the flower room under 18 hours of light for a week or two before flipping to 12 hours. I'm hoping to fill out my screen this way.

I'm just not sure on how I should do the screen. I need room to get in there and water, they look easy enough to make. Should I make just 1 screen per light which would house 6 plants? That screen would roughly be 6x4 each I'm guessing. Does anyone have any experience doing it this way? I'm happy with the big colas I've been getting but I want to maximize my space.

2. Hey, just found this thread. Some awesome tips here. I'm looking forward to putting it into practice. Thanks for posting!

3. #803 napal, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. Love the info can never read enough i built a scrogg but couldn't use it I'm growing in a tent but Iam useing bubbleponics so it creates a challenge my next run I will make some sort of false floor with taps in each bucket it will be on a keen towards the front so wen it comes to res change I just open the taps let the old nutes run out then use my water pump to pump nutes back in will give it a try next run but her is a pic of my scrogg net of my girls into 3rd week of flower I have some overdrive have you used that before ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446329684.606725.jpg ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1446329792.715438.jpg

5. Great info, greenmonster! Thanks.

All right guys (and girls). After several runs of doing a combo of topping, lst and supercropping with trellis netting for support with less than optimal results, I'm gonna bite the bullet and put in the work to Scrog. Super excited to see the increased yields.

In the past I have topped the crap out of each lady (like 7-9 times, theoretically getting 16-20 main branches), to get as many branches and colas as would possibly fit in the canopy pretty much. Feel like for my previous training method I was on the right track, but I'm guessing I need to change it up a bit for scrog...

I'm going to have 4 plants per 4x4 screen, and I'm assuming that it would be better to have fewer, longer branches so that they are able to reach the entire screen once tucked/trained. Something like 8 main branches per plant? So top each plant 3 times? Does anyone have any experience with this amount of plants per screen, and could maybe give me some input?

Thanks much. Appreciate any input...

6. I grew 4 plants under a 5x5 screen (check my signature for the link if you want to see it). It was my first grow but it seemed pretty successful. I only topped once but did a lot of weaving branches around the screen. I'm happy to answer whatever I can.

7. Can't remember if I posted about the modular scrogs I use.

Basically I've made a screen for each plant. Makes it super easy to water, move from veg tent to flower tent and also harvest.

Once people start to scrog and see the yields, it's quite difficult to go back to christmas tree style and dealing with side lighting and stuff.

Only time, I've topped is when I've messed up and ended up with a top in my hand by accident, ooops. :)

8. #808 Mr.Willy, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
    First time grower working a SCROG here. AK47 with (2) 240W Reflectors on day 62 of veg from seed. Thinking of flipping to 12/12 soon.

Any advice? Would you guys fill out the screen more or flip her now? She looks a little ratty right there because I just re-positioned branches back under the screen again. She'll be all full and bushy again tomorrow.

View attachment 1922062
    View attachment 1922063

9. Ok so I'm growing in a mixture a friend uses. 40% soil, with chicken shit and good bacteria, 40% beats peat ground coconut shell, and 20% perlite. Growing 16 plants in 10 gallon pots each. The room is 11X12.5X8height And I have about 3000w of MH. Just picked the clones up from someone with great genetics. I'm growing Dutch treat. I'm using botanicare cns17 grow for veg. I've noticed the nutrients aren't as high in this nute as others. Should I still be using half strength for them since they are only about 8 inches tall? I just removed some of the lower dying leaves, topped the new growth in a couple spots on each plant closest to the top, and transplanted them. All that within about 60 hours. Will they be ok? How far should I keep my lights from the top of the plants. The hoods are not air cooled but I do have 2 fan oscillating across the tops of the plants and 1 fan blowing upward toward the lights. Why do some of the leaves curl downward and others aren't laying flat. It's like they're pointing straight upward. How do they look? How much growth before I top again? And with the pot size and medium I used. How often should I water and how much?

10. They look fine to me

11. So during the veg stage the plants are under the screen? Please help I have 1 grow under my belt. I grew with a guy who supposedly knew it all. Lets just say he didn't. We grew 90 cheesecake plants and yielded 5 pounds with 2 1000 watt hps lights. I started researching and I came across scrog. I want to try my 2nd grow scrogging. I will use soil and 2 1000 watt lights maybe 14 plants. please help

12. Basically you continually pull the tops under the trellis. Every time a top pops up pull it down and put it under the strings. Eventually you'll have a sea of colas on top and nothing else.

13. I'm about to start my first "stealth" grow in a supercloset superbox. Using the scrog method how many plants do you guys think will actually fit in here?

Attached Files:

14. 1. Just do 1
    1. Just do 1

15. Do you have one of these? Is it worth the time to grow in it?

16. I almost did, but no I never have. I've read a lot on here and with how limited the space is, you get more from 1 plant than a bunch of little ones.

17. Ok thanks for then advice

18. Just thought I'd show everyone my scrog grow. 100% coco
    1 600w HPS 2m x 2m x 2m tent

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. #820 Ajo_84, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2016
    First time scrogger, anyone wanna drop their opinion on when I should flip her? It's Ultra white amnesia from ministry of cannabis, popped on the 1st of December.
    [​IMG]