The Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Deleted member 1087321, Jan 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. I tried to get @Smokey B McBongwater to start a pizza thread, similar to The Bread Thread, but he is shy. Probably due to it being the middle of winter but I've been honing my bread making skills and using the sourdough starter discard to make sourdough pizza. Since pizza is a little different than bread with problems like toppings adding extra moisture and it has it's own pizza loving die-hards, I thought it would be fun to have a separate thread for pizza culinary collections!

[​IMG]

I first tried using a pizza pan that is metal to bake my pizza on. I added sauce and some veggies with cheddar cheese. The pizza turned out ok but even though i made the dough fairly thin, the middle didn't cook. So I tried again and thought it was the toppings or sauce so i didn't put as much on but it did the same thing. i posted about my frustration in the lounge and it was advised to me to use a pizza stone to bake it on instead of the pizza pan. I did not have a stone but i have a cast iron skillet. so that is what i used for this last pizza and it turned out a LOT better! really nice crispy outside and the dough raised up and cooked all the way through.

So while I am making my sourdough bread, I will have discard and with that I tend to make pizza. I'll be sharing what recipes i''m using and let you know how they turned out. The cast iron pizza recipe is by King Arthur Crispy Cheesy Pan Pizza and i liked it. i did not like the cheese spread to the edges. i think it made the crust crispy but not in a good way but more like a burnt cheese way. i haven't formed an opinion on placing cheese on the bottom and keeping the sauce on the top like a detroit pizza yet because the cheese crust ruined it. i did like how well the cast iron cooked the dough. for the dough i did not follow this recipe and instead used King Arthurs Sourdough Pizza Crust because i had extra starter. There are recipes that do not need a sourdough starter and just use yeast. i've been calling my sourdough starter, my yeast beasties. i guess people name their starter with a female name but i prefer or more comedic approach.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. So I think I over cooked it. I think once you see bubbles forming that is the time to remove it. Maybe cooking on a lower temp would be better because the top doesn’t look quite done but the bottom is crisp. The recipe says to cook on the lowest level of the oven so the pan is by the heating element. I could try placing the pan in the middle of the oven and see if it cooks more evenly. I like the skillet method just I think I need to have different directions to make it work. The second pizza I cooked came out a lot better. I cooked it less time about 15 minutes but the cheese wasn’t as melty as I’d hoped for.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
  3. i always did mine on the middle shelf, always on a stone, NEVER a metal pan.
    oven as HOT as it can go. with regular residential oven that's usually 500f. I always preheat at least an hour ahead of time with the stone in (i never take it out actually) so the stone is as hot as it can be and store the heat.
    with a thin crust mine takes 12 minutes almost exactly every time. your crust is a lot thicker than i make mine so yours will take a few minutes longer to cook thru. never used sourdough to make one so don't know how that may or may not affect cooking time.
    with my thin, traditional crust the bottom of the crust is just getting some crispness too it as the cheese on top is starting to bubble. with full cheese bubbling and you check the bottom and the crust is getting a brownish. cooked tint in color and it's feeling a bit crisp it's done. :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Vinigar and baking soda is fine for sour doe
    but for better farts, great taste and softy feel you can't beat Yeast raised bread IMO...

even tho some cheat and use a microwave to cure the bread real fast
    instead of waiting over night for it to rise
    Italian recipes still the winner around here

our cook time is 17-22 mins in a diy bbq steel flat thing

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mmmm now yall got me wanting some Pizza thanks!!! :p:D:watching: That sounds fire right about now if you ask me.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 5
  6. so i like pizza a lot but what i want to make is pizza pockets so i can freeze them and then reheat them when i want. that is probably what i will work on next.

Also, Smokey is a pizza connisseur and is very particular in how he makes his pizza. he has some good tips. i can find the quotes in a sec.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. In Germany their is an Amercian fast food(shithole)joint
    that has the best pizzas ever with cheese in the crust on the outer rim

anyone know how to do that diy...? cheers/

• Like Like x 5
  8. oh man that is pizza hut stuffed crust pizza. they take mozzarella sticks that you get for snacking on and roll the crust over those so the crust envelopes the cheese and sticks to the top of the crust.

you want a really low moisture mozzarella. i think something they put in those sticks really makes the difference. i used fresh mozz and it turned into a puddle of water!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. tranzlating for my babe now ...thanks bud!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. edited it while you posted. you're welcome

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. I like making grandma's pizza. It's the basic sauce, mozzarella, and basil pizza. My favorite flower is bread flower and I like red star yeast. I make my sauce mixing crushed whole tomato, tomato paste, and tomato sauce and use it fresh.

I've experimented with cooking up chicken, sausage, and bacon to use as toppings, but it never turns out quite right.

• Like Like x 6
  14. when i was looking last night at all the dough recipes on king arthur, theres different flours and each are for different consistency for the thin or thick crust. i am super stoked to get some semolina flour. i can make pasta noodles like ravioli also.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Oh man semolina is the god tier stuff. Italians eat bread all day long and don't get fat because their wheat is easier to digest. On the noodles I strongly advise you to cook for only a few minutes. No one told me fresh pasta has 1/4 the cook time of dried pasta. :passing-joint:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. i made ravioli once and yeah it cooks super quick. i think using a recipe from a flour company will be better than some blog post. it turned out delicious.

i like to take the frozen ravioli and dip them in egg and then flour with italian spices then i deep fry them in a 1/4-1/2" of olive oil. makes them taste bomb.

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. you have the best cooking videos! i love her oven!! i am surprised with the romano cheese and she likes to emphasize the sauce more. i really want to go to the grocery store now. lol

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. This is how you make a little a bit... 5 pounds of flour! I'm used to making 20 pounds of flour.

That's how you know you found a legitimate recipe.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Fuck yeah. Im always too fucking drunk when i make pizza. Hardest part is getting the crust right. I shoot for firm but malleable.

• Like Like x 3
  20. is this one of those my dough ball is bigger than your dough ball baker show downs? lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2