The January 2020 Granny Storm Crow's List!

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Well, I have sent out the updated List to all the folks on my mailing list- over 2000 emails. So now I get to post the links for my List for the rest of you.

It is very possible that many of us will be in "self-quarantine" soon because of the Corona virus, yet feeling normal and asymptomatic. May I suggest that you take advantage of the time to educate yourself further about cannabis? No matter why you are interested in cannabis, my List has something for you.

If you are unfamiliar with my List and who I am, just click this link from High Times. (I get to brag, I'm only human! lol) Higher Profile: Granny Storm Crow, Grass Roots Advocate
    https://hightimes.com/activism/higher-profile-granny-storm-crow-grass-roots-advocate/

(I'm going to just copy and paste from the email I sent out to save myself some typing. Sorry if it looks a bit odd here and there. )

Back to the List- As usual, I have divided up the List into sections. Once you open a
    link, on the left-hand side there should be a tool bar with a little
    ribbon-shaped icon, "bookmarks", click it for get the navigation
    index
    . It makes finding things MUCH easier! Once that’s up, just scroll down the subjects to see what’s there.

You may note that some of the abstracts now have two
    URLs. Not all abstracts are created equal. More information is a good
    thing, so, two sources. And speaking of information, the List is
    meant to be shared, so share the links with your friends (and maybe your
    doctor?).

Section 1 is mostly news articles with a small “Beginner’s section”
    and a mini-dictionary to get you started. If you are new, or
    returning to cannabis, this is where to start your education. The
    last decade has brought changes in how cannabis is used, as well as
    new discoveries in medical uses and the workings of the
    endocannabinoid system.

You might want to copy the little dictionary and make a hard copy of
    it. I double spaced it so you would have room to add a few definitions
    of your own. Learning the new words is half the battle of
    understanding a study. When I was first learning about all this, I
    kept a second window open just to look up the words that were new to
    me. There were a lot of new words.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwrul9iitzqbo4n/GSCLJan2020News%2Bdictionary.pdf?dl=1

Section 2 is the largest section filled with the current studies (2015
    to 2020). Occasionally, you will find studies far older than 2015, but
    only in a few special interest areas such as the “Cultivation” or the
    “History” subsections. “Methods of Use” highlights the many ways to
    use cannabis, and has recipes for edibles, tinctures and topicals.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/281xqjljwwyys2a/GSCLJan2020NewStudies.pdf?dl=1

Section 3 starts with recent studies dated 2010 to 2014. These studies
    aren’t that old, so don’t ignore them! The section then continues
    with the Phytocannabinoid studies which should be of interest to many.
    There is a lot more to cannabis than “just” THC and CBD!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksuaskzcftm2hw6/GSCL20202010studies%2BPhytos.pdf?dl=1

Section 4 contains studies dated 2009 and earlier. The older studies
    of the 1970s to 1990s often explore those basic questions (“Does
    cannabis go bad?”, “How long to hold a hit”, etc.). Then there are
    some prime examples of “Reefer Madness” from the 1930s, but also
    studies predating cannabis prohibition (and its bias), including a
    number of 1800s British case studies. Personally, I really enjoy the
    very old studies.

Below the oldest studies are the studies on the new synthetic
    cannabinoids, which unlike the natural cannabinoids, can be fatal.
    “The Synthetics” also includes a few other substances that can affect
    the endocannabinoid system, like sugar and phthalates.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x2gt8pdxybkkjtf/GSCLJan2020Older%2BSyn.pdf?dl=1

Section 5 details the workings of the endocannabinoid system.
    Anandamide, 2-AG, and CB1 and CB2 receptors are just the start! The
    endocannabinoid system is involved with just about everything your
    body and mind do. A damaged or dysregulated endocannabinoid system is
    noted in many diseases and obesity. The study of the endocannabinoid
    system is the future of medicine!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dve6x0x9amwuvm/GSCLJan2020ECS%2BG.pdf?dl=1

I have tried to provide all of you with the medical, sociological, and
    historical sources you will need to learn more about cannabis and how
    the cannabinoids affect us.

One last word of caution, are all the studies in my List
    “pro-cannabis”? The answer is “no”. Nothing in this world is 100%
    safe, or good, and there are some situations when cannabis should be
    avoided, and you should know about them. Yet, that is no excuse for
    decades of lies and harsh punishments for cannabis use that our
    governments have inflicted upon us.

It’s 2020, time to see our way to legalization, and share the truth
    about cannabis. And like my grandfather once said,” If the truth
    won’t do, then something is wrong!”

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Appreciating this kind of content more and more. Thanks for the endless hours putting this cannabis educational information up for all of us. And yes, good time to study up since we have some free time on our hands. Stay well Granny!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  3. I'm working really hard on that "stay well" part! Now, I have a remarkably healthy immune system between hybrid vigor* and being exposed to just about every germ in the book by working at schools for most of my life. However, because it is a new mutated virus, virtually nobody has immunity yet! So I am self-quarantining! I have seen no one except my 2 sons since Saturday and that's how it will stay for weeks! I won't be going to the dispensary or anywhere else! My sons will do any shopping that is needed.

We are going to have to change our smoking habits, kids. No more sharing joints/ pipes/ blunts among friends like in the "old days". It will still be OK to share one with your spouse/ SO, but if they don't live with you on an intimate level, don't share. (Will multi-hose hookahs make a comeback for small parties?:smoking-hookah: )

And let's start calling it Covid, and give the poor Corona beer folks a break from the "bad name" recognition! Covid 19 is one of many corona viruses, but it is specifically Covid 19. So let's be accurate when we talk about it and call it Covid.

I've been more writing letters to friends than usual and emailing them, and I'm working on an article on Covid, so I've been keeping busy. This may even be my chance to finish up all those half-written articles I have done over the years! lol :coffee:

I've upped my usual intake of adaptogens- tulsi, rooibos, ginseng and maca. All are supposed to boost your immune system. I used to take at least one of them as a capsule once or twice a week. Now I'm guzzling tulsi and rooibos teas and taking a capsule of one adaptogen or another every day along with my Omega 3 (also important for a healthy immune system)!

I'm also upping my intake of oranges and carrots. Oranges and other fruits for their vitamin C (which I am also taking as a pill), and carrots for the Vitamin A, again, good for the immune system. For lunch, I'm having a large shredded carrot/apple/raisin salad!

I'm still speaking to my sons, but from a distance, and no more hugs! I miss the hugs. :frown: I stay in the master bedroom, only venturing out for food or tea. Covid has an 8% mortality rate for folks in my age group (the 70s) and I do NOT like those odds! So far, there have been no Covid cases in my county (but that will change), but we do have the flu going around. I don't want to get either one, so my comfy bedroom is my world for a while.

Something to note- antibacterial soaps do not kill viruses- they kill bacteria. However, washing your hands well with hot water and any kind of soap will remove (not kill) most of the viruses and bacteria from your hands.

BUT- the first time I went to college, I took a course in microbiology. One of the very first experiments we did in that class was to wash our hands thoroughly, then wash them again. Then we quickly touched our "clean" finger on a sterile, agar-filled petri dish and sealed it. Everyone's petri dish developed all sorts of molds and bacteria and were ABSOLUTELY GROSS! :eek2: So take that full 20 seconds to wash your hands and then do it again! I just made a batch of my cannabis balm (hemp seed oil, olive oil, cannabis and beeswax) to deal with all the extra hand washing. FYI- Cannabis is antibacterial. The last thing anyone needs to get, is a bacterial infection on top of Covid!

And a bit more info on that antibacterial effect- cannabis extracts are an effective antibacterial on surfaces! Inside our bodies, something in our plasma apparently cancels out most of the antibacterial properties, but on surfaces (including skin) they are quite efficient! In the rather old study below, cannabis extract killed even the "ancestors" of MRSA. (In the 1950s, Staph aureus had already developed resistance to some antibiotics. MRSA is Methicillin-Resistant Staph Aureus). And cannabis kills in a way totally different than the way antibiotics work, so most bacteria have NO resistance to cannabis!

HEMP AS A MEDICAMENT : Methods and results of the bacteriological experiments. (full - 1955) HEMP AS A MEDICAMENT - Methods and results of the bacteriological experiments

A few years back, a friend of mine picked up MRSA in a hospital. When she got home, I made up a cupful of strong tincture and told her to use it on the rash using the "bulls-eye" method. (Do a big circle on healthy skin around the infected area, then a slightly smaller circle inside that, and work on down to the rash itself.) The rash did not spread and eventually healed. The visiting nurse was impressed enough that she asked for the recipe for the tincture! I gave it to her and also print-ups of a few studies on the antibacterial effects of cannabis including the one above.

OK, that's enough stoned rambling from me! Take good care of yourselves!

Granny :wave:

*My parents' families were both rather inbred - Mom's family was originally from a German-speaking colony on the Volga River in Russia, and Dad's was clanish Georgia hill-billies! Both families were highly intelligent and reasonably healthy, though, so I lucked out.:yay:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Great Job Granny @Storm Crow very Well Said Like Always. I Hope You Doing Well During These Times too. I Miss Seeing You Around an Your Really Educational an Helpful Posts sis.

~Toni~

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. been reported

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1