The Bread Thread

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by SoCal Nature Farmer, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 075C829A-9A00-405F-AD26-680583D4BBCC.jpeg 70128D4F-83B5-4E72-AF30-70DCC4A18460.jpeg Made this today and it was successful!! 100% whole wheat bread with chopped sunflower seeds inside and oats on top made with instant yeast. Took about three hours start to finish.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Looks good skunker~, I bet it taste great too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. it better with 5 tablespoons of molasses... lol i really like how quick it took to make.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. That's a great looking loaf. How was it?

Sent with it's not a lie!?

• Like Like x 1
  5. it was very sweet and nutty in flavor. i just used regular wheat flour and not the white wheat like the recipe suggests. i think next time i will use just half of the molasses. King Arthur's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

But it is perfect for sandwiches and toast. i think it will be a nice switch from white flour breads for a bit.

• Like Like x 3
  6. A while ago I was asking if I could lower the salt content of my bread and the response was that it wasn’t a big deal. This article says salt content is important and one reason is sticky dough that collapses. Figured I’d share in case anyone else is trying to power their salt intake. Why is salt important in yeast bread?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baking time again. I just revived last years starter. It's alive... 20200930_194555.jpg 20200930_194607.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. sesame was a success:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Nice looking crust and crumb. Bet it tastes and smells great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. My first loaf of sourdough from last years revived starter. It's delicious. 20201006_234119.jpg 20201006_235605.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Looks yummy. Do you just put the starter in the fridge tell you wanna use it again?

Sent with more cow bell!?

• Like Like x 2
  12. trying to make my fermented banana sour dough again.

thaw and skin bananas, mush and stir in large bowl. mix ever so often over 2 days on the third day start mixing in the recipe's amount of flour for the next 5. starting off with a small amount of flour and working up till your out. mix ingredients in and cook.

half your recipe because it will expand quite a bit

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yes, The last time it was fed was back in May.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Reo, that sound interesting. You gather the air born yeasts in your banana mush? Does it have a banana taste or smell? I'm relatively new to bread making. I always love learning new methods.

• Like Like x 3
  15. It brings a deeper more complex taste of banana. Its essentially banana bread/cake but having the banana and flour grow makes for a better taste

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. @Reo your recipe sounds awesome I'm going to be giving it a try-- might even infuse the end product.
    do you have a standard recipe that you like to base your fermented version off of or is it from memory at this point?

and when you say "half your recipe" do you only half the amount of flour needed? and follow the rest normally once the flour and banana mixture has been established?

• Like Like x 3
  17. #757 Reo, Oct 7, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2020

BEST ever Sour Cream Banana Bread

Here's the recipe I use I based it off. When I say half the recipe I mean half all the ingredients. Just after the last feeding of flour I wait for it to rise and mix the desired ingredients in. While in the oven the batter will expand a fair bit due to the current off gassing. Found out the hard way when the excess started running out of the pan as I usually do a double batch for the casserole dish I have... ended up making two casserole dishes that day. And the inside? Like your typical honey crueler/ tractor tire donut.

Forgot to mention to add a tsp or two every now and then to keep it at proper moistness.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. That sounds very interesting. I'm in and will post my results when I make it. Thanks for the inspiration Reo

• Like Like x 3
  19. paaaaaan mehicaaaaanoooooo

• Like Like x 1
  20. 20201008_143929.jpg
    First day of flour and its growing already.

• Like Like x 2