The bioengineering of cannabis

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by trojangrower, Feb 19, 2020.

1. I was looking over some information today and noticed how much the cannabis industry just lit up with the modern world, not even mentioning LED technology, which is for sure a game changer in the microgreen sector, but considering the impact that biotechnology has had on the future of our favorite plant, seems almost dystopian.
    This Nature article is dated Aug 2019; it discusses cannabis innovation at the molecular level. After examining the paper, and discovering the sources of cannabinoid product, I predict a decrease in the demand for traditional grow shows in the generations to come. Already Canadian suppliers have turned away from the cost of generating cannabis and have decided to simply purchase bacterial derived CBD from Germany, and that Canopy engulfed a smaller Crispr inventing company that was messing with the cannabis' genome, expecting no less than to patent natural phenomena. Fundamental processes comprising of naturally occurring cellular components are being patented by industrial giants, and being praised as invention, but serving only as a barriers to further scientific inquiry and open source information. Its funny how Nature publishes and even celebrates these hacks that decided they can patent Nature, even though
    According to the new Guidance, “If the claim recites or involves a judicial exception, such as a law of nature/natural principle or natural phenomenon… and/or something that appears to be a natural product (e.g., a citrus fruit, uranium metal, nucleic acid, protein, etc.), then the claim only qualifies as eligible subject matter if the claim as a whole recites something significantly different than the judicial exception itself.”
    Nevertheless, society praises the disproportionate accumulation of wealth to certain individuals, claiming scientific ingenuity, or something in a similar fashion, thus the wheel turns evermore into the chaos of repetition and rebirth.
    So, worthy mentions for the hack ceremony would have to include Trait, who seem to have a knack with acquiring everything, Aurora Cannabis, who single-handedly believes naturally occurring enzymes in cannabis belong to them only, and Demetrix, a company that expects to pump out bacterial concoctions of cannabinoids for the crowds to endear. Well, sorry to break it to you Demetrix, but Aurora owns those genes, and those genes are in turn produced by the natural products Trait owns, so you're all in for a wing ding when you get to market. And for you little guys, farmers, growers, and shitgrinning stoners, maybe its time we start considering stacked migrogreen farms as the next way to make an honest buck.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Very frustrating. Should have been legalized and allowed to prosper without all the hurdles for small time guys years ago. This quasi legal time frame does nothing but help big money solidify and steal the industry away from the masses that started and created it. Unheard of fees, licensing fees, zoning fees, application fees, ect. These hurdles don't effect big money but they definitely pave the way for them. Some states still can't legally grow. If those folks move to a legal state to pursue, the fees price them out again. All this while big money advances the industry in the lab. It makes it seem like the gov is holding off on legalizing till "their" players (the ones with lobbyists) become the winners.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. upload_2022-3-18_1-7-34.png

My suggestion: do yourself a favor, don't start a commercial cannabis grow op. The market is already saturated with, and biotech will soon outpace all of this.

4. "Demetrix is a biotechnology company that believes in the power of science to make the world a better place."
    Translation: We want to corner the market and get rich as fuck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Sounds gross, I don't want any I'm certain that plenty of us will demand the" real" stuff. Or they can have at it and I'll just grow my own at home. Nothing about that is appealing to me.
    Well said.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah its exploited as fuck.

Gimme back the old landrace strains!

• Like Like x 3
  7. It’ll take off like that impossible burger.
    Real flower grown properly will always have a market.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I read something about when Mexico gets cranking on their outdoor grows that it will be just like that. Where a gram would be like a complimentary mint on your pillow at the hotel or that free drink given at check-in. Lol
    I honestly don't even care much anymore if and when my state legalize I'm certain that they will shit the bed. Like Florida they have dispensaries but don't allow home growing. I am and will be a civil disobedient.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. @trojangrower
    those bio synthetic cannabinoids will not be able to provide any entourage effects however as its one type being grown in mass .... while that one type on a cannabis plant has all the other entourage compounds being grown as well that get ingested at one time when ingesting whole cannabis plant

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. I believe the trichome en masse will produce terpenes in addition to cannabinoids. The reconstituted biosynthetic pathways (ie. in yeast), those guys are not interested in entourage. The CBG sold as a skin product. The CBD is sold as that in itself. The THC/A ... can always just add terps in the end. I forsee a stream of pens that are sold for very cheap... complimentary... on the pillow of your hotel's bed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Science…. Fuck yeah!:cautious:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. not really , the terpenes derived in cannabis are from absorbing metallic oxides from the soil ( Mica) .... or from whatever grow medium etc.... there's no mica in those vats and the yeast and e-coli used to form the bio synthetic base for growing the cannabinoids will not have by product production such as whole living plants do ... just self replicating in the vat what is fed to them and single compounds at a time etc..... Guess we will have to wait and see but I'm assuming that only pharma applications will be the norm for that new tech

• Like Like x 2
  13. One reason I make and save my own seeds. This world is fucking nuts

• Like Like x 2
  14. Terpene synthases from Cannabis sativa
    Terpene Synthases and Terpene Variation in Cannabis sativa

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1