The Basic Bean Thread

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by CL4P-TP, May 28, 2012.

1. i have a quick question , i have quite few harvests under my belt , now i'm thinking about making my own seeds , i'm planing to dedicate small space for it so my pregnant ladies will be not disturbed lol , my question is what week of budding is the best to pollinate, and if let's say i would pollinate 3 plant's how many seeds i can get from them , thank you.

2. Same answer in first post, about four weeks before harvest; #calyx=#seeds.

3. hi
    does a "pregnant plant" have anny diferent needs in mater of nutrients or it needs the same nutes like a sinsemilla plant?

i have looked over the internet an found almost nothing...

4. What do you think of CS to female seeds

5. You mean hermy seeds? Lol. Female seeds are bunk imo. They herm out really easily, and the trait stays in them if you cross them. I'm convinced most people that have issues with crops herming out have feminized genetics in there somewhere. Even if the seeds they bought are regular, if the breeder used a feminzed seed or cut from one somewhere in there then you are much more likely to see nanners. I see people in person and posting here all the time about herming issues and crediting it to one tiny pinhole light leak or something similarly minute. I have some good pure genetics and have accidentally left the door open all night, dosed with too high of fert near the end, had regular white lights on at night while I work in there, and all kinds of other much larger stressors and never seen one ballsack on those strains. You almost have to try to stress them bad enouh to herm. Everything I've worked with that's hermed I've found a feminized gene once I track it down online and read the breeders description of how they bred it. I've tosses these strains. But people are both lazy and also get attatched to things, so even of a strain herms out they can't bear to toss it, so they keep it around and possibly try to cross it hoping the herming will breed out. It won't, and now there is another hermy strain out there.

6. duude that is so untrue ...
    i have stressed the shit out of all my feminized seeds and the only herm i had in my life was in my first 2 grows when i used only bag seeds when i harvested only few bananas in 2-3 plants from a total of 20 plants in late stage of flowering ...

7. the CS is used to force hermie a female plant in order to produce polen to polinate other female plant to get feminized seeds

you can use colloidal silver or giberellic acid

8. Just what I've seen in my experience. If you have some that are less prone and you have good results that's good. But just cause you have a couple that don't herm easily doesn't mean the generalization isn't true. A lot of people don't mess with femmed seeds, and its for a reason. You can look on a site like single seed centre or similar, check some of the places that offer feminized and regular versions of strains, and more often than not the regulars are sold out and the femmed are the only ones left available. I cannot remember ever seeing seeds for sale with both where the femmed were sold out amd not the regular. I know this isnt concrete science, but what it is is an undeniable trend. People who don't want to risk it want regular seeds. That's not to say there arent landraces and such that are prone to hermy as well, but its an x factor to have femmed genetics. Actually its a y factor, lol. There is no way around the genetic coding, that recessive hermy gene is still in there and can come out. You cannot outbreed a recessive gene, only make it more recessive essentially. Or, you can not have it at all by not working with femmed genetics. So maybe I am just being a purist, lol! But it really is a known fact that femmed seeds are more prone to herm overall.

9. And cost a but load more i started buying just female had one just one turn and pulled it
    My issue space i only have so much room i have tried CS and it was a real pain in the ass and I'm not sure i got pollen i did seed a regular hash berry male plant female real romantic i come to really enjoy doing my own beans but want to clone too but no room to bean ,clone , veg clone, flower bean clone.......

10. #30 Marty Skunksese, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
    you are a purist;)

my first 2 grows were from bag seeds (20 per grow) and in these 2 grows i got hermie plants (not crop ruin, only few bananas)
    the other grows were made only with feminized seeds (from nirvana, serious seeds, dutch passion, green house seeds and barney's farm) 16-25 at a time and never got a banana. and i had stressed the shit out of them.
    now i have no idea about feminized seeds from other companies but i gues that they don't do seeds from anny plant or hermied plant.....

now i started a grow only to make my own seeds (all feminized) and since Marty's seed bank is not like anny mentoned above i will see if i will get hermie in my own seeds
    in few days i will start a journal of my seed making process and i will let you know

11. Gotta read through this. Seems like there's good info, I just haven't had the time. Subbed though. Thanks for finding/supplying this thread.

12. my mini fridge is like 45 degrees where my seeds are.. is that ok?

13. I very much dislike feminised seeds, I literally don't see the point of them because they cost twice as much as regular seeds and they are by definition far more prone to hermaphroditism than regulars. a trait that can completely screw up a breeding program. they aren't for me at all

14. sorry this took so long.. a little colder IMO.

the main thing is dryness though

15. Just what I needed! Thanks.

I may have had the greatest/worst luck ever! Picked up a bag(long story), but it was all hermied, but finished. Found 3 immature beans, 100% amber trics, and not many bananas. I am thinking the grower just let go way too long. Leads me to think it's stress hermi, not genetic. We'll see.

Have Thai, 60 days into flower. Going to take the pollen, and make seed cross(F1?). Plan to germinate the 3 immature beans(S1?), hope on 2 of them, and breed the S1 to F1, try and get some consistency later down the line.

reason I go through this trouble is the trichrome coverage on this specimen, it's like Double Stuff trich production.

Think this will work?

P.S. Just got a 2003-4 Exodus Cheese, germinated 12/12/12. Popped a bunch(25/2) of 1976-Oct-BayArea stored in a film can. Oldest beans I've had the pleasure. I myself keep beans rather shabby, on a shelf, in breeder packs... LoL.

16. what week do I pollinate my female? I'm new at this. only been growing for three years and first time pollinating

17. You need 4-6 weeks for the seeds to finish.

18. I am about to harvest, but my seeds aren't ripe yet. If I harvest all the branches except the ones with the seeds on them and continue with the plant, will my beans come out right or will they be affected in a bad way?