The art of selection and breeding fine quality cannabis - DJ Short

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by fillmoreslim, Sep 8, 2008.

1. hey guys great thread
    Does the age or size of a male plant matter when you wish you collect pollen?
    Can it effect the quality of the genes in the male?

2. Good read! Thanks guys. What a truly professional 1st post!!!
    Not sure why anyone would want to breed polyploids, seems like too much risk with nasty expensive chemicals for no known gain? What would the advantages be? Thought it was a mutation......

3. I have a question about DJ Short, who at one time I had mad respect for....

this man is a breeder  right? and breeding truly fine cannibus takes a skilled eye and a dedicated hand....this I know for sure.

Dj has been in Michigan for about 5 years straight.....giving speaches that sound less and less educated....more and more
    commercial...he gives his "big words" speach...sells a shit ton of hermie ass Blueberry seeds and moves on to the next show.....

he is almost incapable of answering a breeding question with any quality imput at all......what happened to this guy? how is he "breeding" quality gear on the road? .........trust me on this......he's not.... he sold out huge in my opinion....

he is at every compassion club, large dispensary and expo......makin huge cash.....but I never seen him at a rally or a hearing...
    enter the words "DJ Short seminar" in google and check out his gig......I have yet to see a Mi grower put out a decent BlueBerry with seeds purchased at one of these "seminars". 

its over IMHO....the quality is average and the grow reports get more and more plain, the number of hermies in the blueberry line in paticular (his flagship strain) is insane.

Dj is no longer a bredder, he is a business just like High-Times......he'll sell ya book or a pack of seeds, decent guy to talk to also......but, he is now a salesman, trumping up he book of basic and questionable methods as well as the beans he slings to those willing to pay for a reputation that has long since washed out.

just ask youself....if he's been doing this for 4-5 years straight.......when is the last time "he" bred anything? are the seeds he sells old? if not who breed them.....with his schedule...can't be him I assure you.......

polyploids? please.........this is genetic defect.....like breeding a two headed dog under the premise that it can bite more.....

• Like Like x 1
  4. great read, thanks for the knowledge!!!

5. short is lengendary. he is proof hard work pays off. because buying those beans you get what you paid for!!!   just a shout out to iornhead for sharing the pixs in hightimes omg that looks like frosted grape candy!!!!!!!!!!    and to SG1

6. I have a beautifully seeded harvest and am wondering when can I test germinate from each of my strains to check viability.  I may have pulled some a bit early but most of the seeds are dark and firm.  Should I 'chill them out' before attemting this?

7. I know this question was about 6 months ago but nobody responded. I am not dj short but for what I know you should wait a month before germinating freshly bred seeds to achieve the maximum germention rate

8. IMHO you don't know what you're talking about! Funny how in Seattle, his blueberry often tests above 23% and is one of the strains that parented the legendary Blue Dream. I think you're just talking out of your arse .... But then again I haven't bought seeds from DJ in 8 years, so I could be wrong.

9. #29 guerilla45, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
    8 years ago the stock was wonderful now I see better stock from the public then I do from DJ.
    I love the blueberry and breed some myself but surely not from any stock I've seen in the past 5 years.

10. To start with I want to apologize...I have been looking and looking but can't find the tread on this. What's the best way to sex plants from seed as soon as possible? I'm doing the cut the top off and treat like a clone and put into 12-12 lighting? Any other good methods quicker? would be appreciated

Jar is always half full

11. Fantastic thread. Just the info i was looking for. Massive respect to the poster dj short.

12. males drop pollin when they drop. once flower is initiated, they are gonna drop pollin. to maximize the male flower production on a single male plant, one would want to grow that plant to full potential in veg and flower, with good feeding regimen and a suitable grow environment. small males arent going to produce a large amount of pollin, male flowers, or clones for later use.

selecting a male from a group of breeding stock parent plants, vegging it out to full potential, cloning and then flowering. testing. running selected male clone again, to full potential, before ever using it in a breeding program. perfect world lol.

• Like Like x 1