surfing appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by tokin jax, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Sending my love to all my brothers and sisters living where the beaches are closed right now.

2. My beach.

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. This time of year is usually pretty flat... but week's gonna be sweeeeeeeet :metal:

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 3.10.40 PM.png

4. Sydney was flying off the handle this week.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I woulda killed for that week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mate, Wednesday was the day. It was fucking stellar. The rest of the forecast turned a bit of a tease, as usual. Thursday got skint and too onshore, and while Friday was solid for this time of year, it didn't pack a huge punch. This morning looks pretty promising, so I'm hoping to give it one last go before the storm buggers off. Fingers crossed the wind doesn't cross as much as anticipated.

D'you surf regularly?

7. Not anymore, im landlocked at the moment. Grew up at cocoa beach fl. 2-3 ft was decent, 4ft was probably choppy. Best i got was 6ft glassy day before a hurricane.

• Like Like x 1
  8. How's it feel to have (I assume) every person ever mention Kelly Slater every time they learn you're from Cocoa Beach? :laughing:

I feel you, mate. I spent the first 30 years of my life living either inland, or in places with really rare, inconsistent, or - for quite a few years - in crocodile-infested swell. When it came time to settle down this time, I made sure it was somewhere with waves. They're not usually very impressive, but it's just fine for the likes of me.

9. I appreciate Kelly Slater and all that he has accomplished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Yeah i plan on moving back one day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. There's no denying Slater's talent. He's called the GOAT for a reason. Dude is a fine-tuned competitive powerhouse. As far as athletes go, top of his field and among sporting's best. Unfortunately, that doesn't make you many friends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 50+ years ago I surfed at a place called Stone Steps, anybody heard of it?

13. @cornemuse I had to look it up - Southern California, right? How was it back in the day?

14. Tweed Pro. First professional competition (in the ocean) being broadcast in 2020. Waves are utter trash. Fucking snoozefest but I’m frothing just watching live comp after so long.

Also, there haven’t been any local waves so I’m jonesin’ for whatever I can get.

15. Encinitas, SoCal

"Not crowded"

• Like Like x 1
  16. I have surfed in Honolulu, San Diego and Canon Beach. My next spot will be Coos Bay. It’s such a good feeling once you get on that board and let the wave take you :D

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. :rave-girl:

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 11.36.27 AM.png

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Wilson's been home lately, absolutely shredding the local. Got to see some of this up close a couple of times YEEWWWW

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1