Study- Terpines help get you higher!

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Ever wonder why two cultivars (strains) of cannabis can both have the same amount of THC, but one of them is stonier than the other? The answer may lie in various terpines. The link leads to the full study.

Cannabis sativa terpenes are cannabimimetic and selectively enhance cannabinoid activity. (USA) (full - 2021) Cannabis sativa terpenes are cannabimimetic and selectively enhance cannabinoid activity | Scientific Reports

Limited evidence has suggested that terpenes found in Cannabis sativa are analgesic, and could produce an "entourage effect" whereby they modulate cannabinoids to result in improved outcomes. However this hypothesis is controversial, with limited evidence. We thus investigated Cannabis sativa terpenes alone and with the cannabinoid agonist WIN55,212 using in vitro and in vivo approaches. We found that the terpenes α-humulene, geraniol, linalool, and β-pinene produced cannabinoid tetrad behaviors in mice, suggesting cannabimimetic activity. Some behaviors could be blocked by cannabinoid or adenosine receptor antagonists, suggesting a mixed mechanism of action. These behavioral effects were selectively additive with WIN55,212, suggesting terpenes can boost cannabinoid activity. In vitro experiments showed that all terpenes activated the CB1R, while some activated other targets. Our findings suggest that these Cannabis terpenes are multifunctional cannabimimetic ligands that provide conceptual support for the entourage effect hypothesis and could be used to enhance the therapeutic properties of cannabinoids.

FYI -

WIN55,212, in many ways, acts in a similar fashion to THC, but has (apparently) a much less-pleasant high.

The "cannabinoid tetrad behaviors" consist of hypomotility, catalepsy, hypothermia, and analgesia.

cannabimimetic = gets you high like THC does.

in vivo = in a live animal

in vitro = in a test tube

And I don't know how many of you will ever interact with any researchers, but they are often "language snobs". It really bugs some of them that we refer to "strains", when their chosen word is "cultivars" (enough so that they have mentioned it in their studies). They will take you far more seriously if you use the word "cultivars" and other "scientifically correct" terms. ;)

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Elitist behavior. Science likes to hijack stuff and then look down on any form of amateurs. I don't care if a grower went to university or oaksterdam to learn to grow. Id trust someone whos done it on their own for years and has product to back it up. I could care less if a plant meets an exact profile of a unicorns wooha. All these cannabis scientists do it try to isolate compounds for pharmaceutical companies to patent, and profit on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. @Storm Crow . the volatility of the type of terpene detrmiens how it metabolizes ... phytocannabinoids are meroterpinoids and the Sesquiterpenes will dictate how phytocannabinoids eventually metabolize ... the meroterpinoids are heavier, more structured compounds that take more cell enzymes ( Magl / Dagl/ Faah/ PPAR ) to metabolize them... the volatile sesquiterpenes acting in sequence allow more Cavitation ( ??) like pre cursor Resolvins, protectins.
    and too I like to call them Varietals as opposed to strains

4. Wow This is Cool Info @Storm Crow IDK Alotta The Words but I Understand Some of it. Thank You For Posting :)

~Toni~