Study on the History of Cannabis

Discussion in 'General' started by Storm Crow, Jan 11, 2021.

1. This one is an easy-reading overview that touches on ancient use in China, India and by the Scythians, as well as more modern use. I think it will send some of you to the "references" at the end to read the sources and get the juicy details. :coffee:

Here's a little sample about the Scythians doing some "hotboxing" (There ain't nothing new under the sun, kids! :laughing:)

"Herodotus (c. 484-c. 425 bc) describes how Scythians, after a King’s burial, prepare small chambers that are hermetically closed with woolen blankets laid on three posts sloping toward each other. 11 The participants crawl under the blankets and throw hemp seeds (κάνναβις) on red hot stones and are “delighted” (ἀγάμενοι) by the fragrant smoke. Herodotus remarks that hemp either grows spontaneously or is sown and cultivated by the Scythians."

History of cannabis and the endocannabinoid system.
 (France) (full – 2020)
    History of cannabis and the endocannabinoid system

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Wow that was a Hot Minute Ago lol that's So Very Cool They Did HotBoxing all The Way Back Then too @Storm Crow Very Interesting Big Sis Thank You For Sharing! Much Respect!:love:;wub::inlove::thumbsup::roflmao::eek::eek2:

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Dear Granny I just stumbled into this ^$%^$%$ ..?
    I rather you didn't post that here as its too important and will fizzle very quick
    but thanks yet again for the heads up

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

4. I Agree ion Think Most People on Here Realize How Lucky an Blessed G.C is to Have @Storm Crow On Here Droppin Knowledge....She Way Past Legendary Status! I Have Learned Alot from Her!:love::inlove:;wub:

~Toni~

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I now randomly seek out biochemistry research at will thanks to @Storm Crow ! whether or not I understand and can relay what I'm reading is another subject altogether LOL ... I'm getting there

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. @Galaxy420 Good on you! Keep at it! It gets easier as your scientific vocabulary grows. :coffee:

@ Dizzy You're making me blush! ;wub:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

7. It Just The Truth :) :love::inlove:;wub:

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. I got 50 years of history myself. :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Snap! ...lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Thanks bro! I never thought that the history of cannabis could be so interesting) I always tried to guess with my friends how people saw the bush and decided to smoke it. Haahhaahha ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. just imagine the first cave man type of dude or dudette finding cannabis ... immediately fire was invented !! fire was made possible so as to smoke cannabis plant !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. @Galaxy420 I think it may have gone like this-

Starting fires is hard and plants with resins burn easily. So you manage to get some sparks using flint and pyrite and drop them on some resinous dried plant matter, let's say some cannabis bits left over from harvesting the high protein, oil-rich seeds.:love-mj2: (FYI - fats and oils are scarce in a primitive setting, and your health can really suffer from a lack of fats!)

So you blow across the sparks and hope that the plant matter catches. But blowing across the sparks would put them out as often as start a fire! Not very efficient!

Eventually someone got a bright idea! :eek2: If you could PULL air down through the plant matter, the sparks would have a better chance of catching the tinder on fire! A small clay bowl with a hollow reed made the first pipe as a way to increase the chances of starting a fire!

Now, some resinous plants made you very sick if you smoked them (poison ivy, oleander, etc) :sick:. While others, like cannabis, made you feel good! Our distant ancestors quickly figured out that cannabis was good for more than just the seeds, and that it even eased pains. :D

And the rest is (pre)history! :GettingStoned:

• Like Like x 3
  13. I would also add that I reckon touching the buds and collecting resin on the palms, before tasting, and then tasting even more, would have pre-dated any sort of combustion and inhalation methods of getting high. Despite the plants being much much less resinous, some resin on the palms would still have accumulated from interaction with the plant during the right times of year, and given that the heat process of rubbing the resin in your palm already decarbs it and makes it psychoactively available, it is not much of a stretch to see how this would have been some key initial interactions (along with collection and consumption of seed, and latterly use of the plant as fibre).

This is why charas (hash) has been made this way in the Himalaya since time immemorial. Also note that cannabis (a descendant of hops) originated in the plateau just north of the Himalaya and swiftly migrated south, so would have been more than abundant during times of populations settling. It is also a nod as to why it features so heavily in Indian mythology, going way, way, waaaay back.

The big one for me though, is that one hominid (or group of), which realised that a visually imperceptible feature of the plant (the trichome heads) was what contained all the psychoactive goodness, and it was that aspect of the plant which needed to be selected for over generations and millennia.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. I love reading about cannabis and how it has opened doors of sanctity for humans, good post Storm Crow.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. What's your address? I have a big fuck you to deliver.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Great post!

:smoking-banana:

17. :toke: I don't want to know the history but yeah, must say great post. Maybe it's the first time I didn't get bored while reading about history. :thumbsup: