Streaming Thoughts From My Cabin In The Woods.

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by HillbillyHoax, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Welcome to my cabin in the woods. We are nicely situated in a holler about 300 feet from a spring that starts just up the hill. As you can see I am pretty simple I don't have a bunch of fancy decorations but I make up for that with the best shine around, home made beer and green nugs. So pull you up a stump and stay a spell.

I am pretty new to growing and came here to study and learn. I started off with SG1s Cheap Old Bastards Club and then found Jerrys Organic Obsesion. SG1 baited me in but Jerry set the hook. I have hopped around on a few threads that really showed me it could be done by starting out small and growing your equipment with your garden and ability. I learned a lot from NewGrowNY and MrJerky showed me how simple of a set up could be used. I read NoobWannBs Continuing Education and found there were a lot of cool people on here that showed up at her place. I am reading Ockhams Garden Of Moments right now and have 100 tabs open from the rest of the journals I have clicked on along the way. This is a really cool community and I just wanted to share what I have learned and give back to The City.

I popped 5 beans from some bag seed I had laying around the middle of December and 5 more the beginning of January. I visited the big box stores but didn't find anything that Jerry had mentioned in making a soil except peat moss and compost. When I got back home I excitedly mixed my quart baggie of long strand decorators peat moss and broke up my black brick of "compost" and let it cook for a few days while my little seedlings finished in their cups of jiffy pot. I transplanted them into some new solo cups with my newly mixed black gold. It didn't look to bad so I figured we were off to the races. With in a few days the first set of true leaves were curled under and touching each other but they were green and throwing off new growth so I figured "it can't be in that bad of shape" so I left them while trying to find greener soil. I found a place in the big city that had half of what Jerry and In The Garden told me to get. So I loaded up the covered wagon and headed north. I got some decent stuff but it wasn't what I really wanted. Once the mix sat for a couple weeks I transplanted my little plants, which by this point were working on their 5th set of true leaves. Wow did they open up in the new proper soil-less mix! They no longer looked like seized up little bushed in a Dr Suess book. I planned on putting them into flower by the middle of January so I could have my own smoke by 4/20 but I just couldn't do it, they weren't ready. I have since found one of them bonafide grow shops and have been back there a couple of times for the good stuff. The owners of the place a real cool and helpful. They have given me free stuff both times I have been in. The first I got a free 3# nursery bucket (it was cracked at the top but it was FREE) and the second time I got a Kill-A-Watt and he gave me $20 off the whole ticket. It's the little things that keep me happy [​IMG] I think I have about one more trip to make for the last few goodies I need to finish my grow room just the way I want it (for now).

By the looks of things I have 1 pure sativa, 1 or 2 pure indicas, and about 8 in between. I am hoping that the pure sativa and indica are females and the rest I would like to get at least 3 more females. 2 or 3 are showing what I think are pre-flowers but I have to wait a few more days to really tell.

I have a 1000watt dual spectrum bulb for lighting with a XL Adjust-A-Wing and a super spreader. I know the hood is a waste of the light but until I get my whole room covered in mylar I feel like it is for the best. I want to set it up on a light mover just to get a little more even coverage. I have a 12,000BTU portable ac to keep it cool in there and a 8" centrifugal fan that moves about 500CFM with a carbon filter to keep fresh clean air moving. The room is 8'WX10'LX7'H with a small closet just big enough to put all my equipment in. I was planing on building a box to put my ballast in and run the vent through there so my magnetic ballast is always air cooled, I would also run my AC exhaust through the box. There is a queen size bed frame built into the middle of this small room that I don't think I will be able to take out but it is only about 18" tall so I figured it would be a good raised work surface and I could set up a water tank under to water with. The only issue is it limits my height to about 4' accounting for head space from the light. I only have 1 20A breaker ran to this room right now so I will have to run more electricity before it is ready to run.

I have never gotten plants this far before. I only tried one other grow and I was less prepared for that one. I have only made it as far as I have due to the great education I have gotten from the fine teachers that have shared their grow with all of us in The City. There isn't much to show and tell yet but I am hoping that in the coming weeks we will have a lot of flowering going on. Thanks to everyone here that has shared both success and failure here that I have learned so much from.

Thanks for stopping by, I'm hoping to have a cool place to hang out and share my garden. :hello:

Peace,
    Hillbilly

Sorry for any typos, this is a long one and I ain't very good with spellin and proper sentence structure.

2. Sounds comfortable. You are a lucky man.

3. Wow nice man, can't wait to see them pics :smoking:

4. #4 HillbillyHoax, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to add this. It's my little veg closet I am currently in but am hoping to finish the cabin this weekend. I will add more pictures as I get time. There are 11 plants in there total so the closet is pretty darn tight. After this weekend at least 5 will be out and under the big bulb.

Peace,
    Hillbilly

5. I want to be your neighbor. You got it goin on bro, homemade beer and green bud. Got to give ya some rep.
    mj:smoking:

6. Hmm, this is something I haven't looked into thoroughly but perhaps a 2 bulb 4' T5 would be better suited for that area, cost wise.

Food for thought, though they look good as is.

7. Thanks for stopping by! Make your self ta home! The lights are from a previous failed attempt. I've got 15 CFLs in there ranging from 19w to 23w. I am planning on redoing my veg when I get the cabin completed. This is my first grow that is going any where so I didn't want to invest more money in another failed attempt. I've managed to spend almost a grand at this point so I don't have much else to upgrade. The only critical thing at this point that I see I need is Mylar. Lots and lots of Mylar. My veg room which will also have my cloning rack is about 10'X15' but it has a table and a fold down couch. The fold down couch is going to be used as a base for my veggers and an old fridge is gonna be used for my clones. I am hoping to be running about 4 strains that I like from my bag seeds. I will spend the money on genetics but only once I get everything running how I like it and I'm not scrambling to get things ready for the next stage in their cycle. Come by anytime, make a request andI'ill brew your favorite beer for next time! My favorite commercial beer is Shiner Bock.

Peace,
    Hillbilly

8. You got a rocking chair to go with that beer, looking good bro hope everything pan's out for you.

9. Check out a product called Panda Paper, I've found it to be more efficient and cheaper than mylar.

Really, any thick white plastic would work, as long as it's opaque.

10. Looking good HH,

I'm going to move this thread to organic grow journals where it belongs. You and your journal will be right at home with all of our other talented organic growers.

[​IMG]

11. [​IMG]

Here we are!!!!

12. You Magic Man you ;)

13. Thanks Chunk! I appreciate everyone stopping by. We have a chain saw and lots of wood! If you want a rocking chair we will whittle you one up! Or anything to suit your needs. I can have the Missis crochet you a hammock! I will upload some pictures in a little bit. One of my interesting girls and one of some leaf tip issues. I think the leaf tip damage is from over doing it on the foliar feeding. It looks kinda like a black mold or fungus but it goes necrotic and crispy.

Put in your order for seating arrangements and we will se what we can do with a small space, we may need to take this to the porch.

Peace,
    Hillbilly

14. First up is my interesting little girl that is doing her own thing. You can't really see it in the picture but she split before her first set of true leaves. One side just grows this little bushiness and the other shot over along the ground and is now curving up to greet the lights. :hello:

[​IMG]

Now on to the leaf damage. I have this on a few leaves on a couple different plants. Like I said I think it is from me over doing it on the foliar feeding but wanted some opinions form folks who have seen this before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alright I will try to update every day or two with something new until we start to get flowers.

I got the ventilation going in the flower room so it is running tonight and if it all checks out we will be flipping the switch of 5 of the 11 girls.

I have always talked to them but I have started singing to them and playing guitar. I am just glad they don't have ears and don't complain like people do when I play, I may also get the occasional dog howling with me :rolleyes:

Peace,
    Hillbilly

15. Looks like they are getting a little too much nutes to me . But they look great. It just shows you are giving them all they need plus a little more. I would not change a thing, they will use more as they grow and it will be all good.

16. HillbillyHoax,

If you re-size your images to 800x640 pixels (or so) before uploading them to GC, they will fit into the post window a lot better.

Chunk

17. It's all organic stuff so I'm not worried about burning them but they may be overloaded like your saying. I water them with some 1/4 strength fish emulsion, liquid seaweed and a drop of unsulphered molasses. I use the same stuff in the foliar spray but I'm gonna switch to just plain water for spraying on her from now on. The molasses doesn't do any good on the leaves any way as I've recently learned so I don't want it to encourage anything else to grow or eat on my leaves. Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it!

Peace,
    Hillbilly

18. Can you point me into a direction to figure that out or find some freeware to use? Thanks!

Peace,
    Hillbilly

19. Are you using a computer or a phone? I use a Windows based computer and use my Paint program to re-size.