Stephen King quits Facebook

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Vee, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Twitter is the fucking devil!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. We live in Maine. Stephen King lives in Maine. He used to, or maybe still does, have a summer place on the lake in the town Mrs. J’s older brother lives. He was walking down the road one day some years back and a dude in a van hit him and fucked him up pretty badly - for a number of years. I think he’s OK now though.

my older daughter went to nursing school up in Bangor Maine - which is where hIs every day house that he lives with his wife and family is. It’s a really cool old style home and the cool thing is he had these beautiful wrought iron gates for the end of the driveway built They are totally bad ass. They were designed to look like spiderwebs.

so I am over by his house one day with my daughter and we came up with the brilliant idea to just mark trade up on his porch and ring the doorbell and introduce ourselves - “Hi! We are your biggest fans!”

what a couple of idiots right LOL… i’m just getting ready to punch the doorbell And I noticed a polite little card just off the side of the door That said “thank you but please respect our privacy“

I looked at my daughter and said what the heck kind of stalker people are we bothering this guy and we quietly snuck off on his porch...

always enjoyed his work at least. I am actually listening to “The Stand” for the umpteenth time on audiobook right now in my car.

j

3. The only "social" things I have been part of is GC and previously a few computer newsgroups.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 1
  4. please yell us the potus can't get his grubby ol hand on this website closing..?
    indeed it was during his 'accident' with the hit and car, that King wrote his first? non fiction advice to new writers
    In his book On Writing, King states he was heading north, walking against the traffic. Shortly before the accident took place, a woman in a car, also northbound, passed King first and then the light-blue Dodge van. The van was looping from one side of the road to the other, and the woman told her passenger she hoped "that guy in the van doesn't hit him
    Jerry tho you are very proud of your famous resident writer, don't you think its strange the one writer can corner a section of the horror market...non fiction and be so regurded as famous as say Mick Jagger and other of his age group

perhaps it goes to show how weak/ corrupt the publishing world is ..in the usa?

5. Trump shouldn't be able to touch Grasscity (Netherlands hosted still?).

If he entered as a member, I doubt if he would last 1 day of active posting.
    Should that happen, I would love to wield the ban hammer.

:smoke:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. I honestly don't know what you mean In the first part of your question - but “strange” that an American author that has written well over 70 books with close to half of them bestsellers - which means that the PEOPLE like his work?

As far as the second half of your question goes - US publishing is “weak”?

You arent upset because Russia doesnt publish anywhere vaguely near what we do - are you?

I honestly dont know what you're driving at dude.

How is this “strange” that an author sells a shit ton of books?

Why would you bring his country into this?

j

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. my local fb group is whacked and i'd quit in a minute if i didn't think the members are a dangerous bunch bullies with a head full of vindictive pettiness and too much time on their hands

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I know its way after the fact but my wife and I did the exact same thing like 25ish years ago during our honeymoon (went canoe camping through Maine, and were both big King fans so of course we had to check out his house with the cool bat and spider wrought iron fence)

I'm glad to know there are other people out there like us who decided to respect the man's privacy (we did years later meet him at a book signing for Dr. Sleep, totally nice guy IRL as far as my one meeting of him went.)

Anyway, thanks for bringing back that memory, hadn't thought about the honeymoon trip in a long time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. I Love Stephen King!!! What's Your Favorite Stories By Him?

~Toni~

10. I know even King doesn't like it, but I've always liked the Tommyknockers, probably because it deals heavily with alien technology and the power generation to use and abuse it. Second would be IT, third probably Salem's lot.

Salem's lot and the 2 associated short stories are very good

Night shift is an awesome collection of short stories (in fact I would recommend any of them, thats just my fav short stories collection

Recently re-read "bag of bones" and it takes on new meaning as my wife an approach retirement, what life might be like for the living one of us once the other passes.

Desperation, or any of his lovecraft homages are always very good reads for me as well.

Of course, the dark tower series, but I view that more as a collection of fantastic literary set pieces joined by more "filler" than I'd like sometimes, plus when it went "meta" later in ther series kinda lost a little bit of interest from me, which is why they aren't in my top 3.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Excerpt from my personal website, "In the 2020's social networks have taken over people's minds and control them. Change the world back. You should stop reading this and immediately break ground on building your own website. Cancel your twitter, facebook, and all your other social network accounts. Before doing so, tell everybody that they can find you at your website. Give them the URL. And then leave all these networks and do not look back."

P.S. Favorite book from Stephen King is The Stand. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Yea Tommyknockers 1 Of My Favs Too. I Also Love Desperation Too. Also Fire Starter (BC I Love Stories About People With Special Powers) Also Rose Madder Another Of My Favs An Pet Sematary. Have You Read Those Ones? I Like Sslems Lot An IT Too An Also The Stand. Night Shift Is Definetly Cool An Also Skeleton Crew Have You Read Those?

The Stand Was My First SK Book I Ever Read. It Used To Be My Dads Copy But He Gave It To Me.

~Toni~

• Like Like x 1
  13. YEah, Pet semetary is my wife's favorite book actually (I like it, just not that much) and I do really like the Stand, just even as King admits he let the cast get so bloated and without purpose that by the back 1/3 of the book he had to cull a lot of them, (they got Barb'ed from stranger things before being Barb'ed was cool imo in that they were undeserved deaths in many cases)

It would probably be easier to say that I've read almost every horror genre work King has put out by "official" publishing channels (so like I've never read some of the early draft stuff from his works floating around the net)

Just never that interested in the other genres he writes in like the JFK stuff, I'm sure its all well written and great plot and characters, just not my bag baby.

His book "on writing" though is a fantastic semi-autobiographical story on how he honed his writing talent and started his career, and his various personal struggles. The audiobook he narrates most of so its especially vivid the way he re-tells his own life, I think its only about 9hrs too, so an easy listen. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a King fan or just looking to improve their writing skills.

• Informative Informative x 1