Stephen King quits Facebook

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Vee, Feb 4, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    Novelist Stephen King has quit Facebook, saying he was uncomfortable with the
    "flood of false information allowed in its political advertising".

He also said he was not confident the social network was protecting "users' privacy".
    He made the announcement on Twitter, where he has 5.6 million followers.

Other high-profile users to quit include Star Wars actor Mark Hamill, comedian Will Ferrell, musician Cher and Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak
    Mr King's tweet, which had been liked more than 250,000 times at the time of writing, added that users could continue to follow him and his dog Molly on Twitter.
    Actor Jim Carrey, who left in 2018, also sold his Facebook stock, citing the fact that the firm had profited from Russian interference in the 2016 US election.

Facebook's decision not to change the way it fact-checked political adverts has proved controversial with many.
    It has argued that it is not right for private companies to censor politicians and called for government regulation to deal with the issue.
    By contrast, Twitter announced in October that it would ban all political advertising, with founder Jack Dorsey saying that it was not possible to be working to stop the spread of information while at the same time allowing someone who had paid the platform to "say whatever they want".

It is estimated that US political parties will spend about $6bn (£4.6bn) on advertising in the run-up to the 2020 elections. According to research firm Kantar about 20% of this will be digital.

Facebook has said that political adverts are not a major revenue stream for it - less than 0.5% according to founder Mark Zuckerberg.

However, the firm has faced pressure to change its mind - Hillary Clinton was among politicians to praise Twitter's decision and ask Facebook why it was not doing the same.

• Like Like x 2
  2. one thing with social media in general I have NEVER understood, let's say Facebook started as a brick and mortar store that made collages of peoples photos they dropped by to send to people, they gather all the personal info, where they were, etc. then after the the person who supplied the info comes picks up his product, he gets told that the store sold all of his information to the highest bidder that just walked in off the street into his store, as a bonus they offer the microphone they placed on you at the time of entering the building, so that the person off the street can listen to what you say as well...that business would be gone quicker than speedy Gonzalez, but since Facebook is a app on your phone they can and do sell your personal information to whoever the fuck they want and with impunity...could someone explain how stupid we are for allowing this for so long with no-one batting an eye?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. i dropped FB several years ago and never looked back. i log on there once a year on my birthday to update on a whole years worth of what's happened. maybe i will log on for thanksgiving. i think that friends see how you are doing and don't feel compelled to keep in touch by writing to find out like the good old days. it was really tough at first to quit facebook because i didn't realize how much time it took wading through the garbage spam in my newsfeed. i have found better things to do with my time now and kinda feel sorry for all the people who are still using it daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Silly. A man quits social media because of the floods of false ads. Happens daily. Silly humans make a news story out of their false idols.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. "silly humans" ahh I see i have a fellow interstellar friend

6. #6 Dizzy, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    I have FB but i don't post my pictures on it or anyting like that...just use it to talk to my family. I don't Blame him for quitting tho i sometimes feel that way to especially recently. Twitter sucks even worse then FaceBook tho.

~Toni~

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. I use aliases. I also have no "friends" and turn everything off. Not sure that helps, though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. You use aliases (plural)
    You have no friends (not very "social")
    and have everything turned off....

then why have account(s) at all? LOL

I quit 5yr back, you are all aware your information is ONLY destroyed if evidence of account holders death is provided to fb?

Read the Ts&Cs

• Like Like x 1
  9. Because I need to access local news sites that are either a fb group or require a fb account to comment.

• Like Like x 1
  10. [​IMG]
    Why would you go to a party if their is no way home...?

11. Gave up cuntbook about 18 months ago.
    It’s full of fuckin snowflakes.
    Had people dushin out dogs abuse when I inform them that the drugs they’re giving their 5 year old kids are class A narcotics.
    I’ve got hounded by literally hundreds of people for sharing a court report of a local convicted pedophile.
    People of fb are fucked in the head. Don’t need that in my life.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. [​IMG]
    of interest on GC on tv: here Don't miss out

13. Social Media has completely destroyed the social skills of an entire generation, its actually scary

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. I'd say it's destroyed the social skills of all humans using it. I deleted Facebook 10 years ago. I was on Google plus as a developer, then stayed as we were given invites to send out to people, then when it went public I deleted.

15. Read the book and saw the series on Netflix. One of those rare times when I can say I enjoyed the series more than the book. Overall good, but not up there with some of his best IMO.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. I see the tv edition ends this week too

17. Yeah I think it's worth the watch.

18. I think I’m the single only human on the planet Earth that never joined Facebook.

Watching my wife and 3 girls spend waaaay too much time on it was enuff for me to make that call.

I also dont belong to ANY other wo called social media platform -

with the single exception of GrassCity.

I’m curious - is there any of you that have never joined FB or any of those other social media tine-wasters? I mean - I waste enough time here lol

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Actually just finished reading the book - well, say a month or so ago.

Dig most of his work but never got the Dark Tower series.

j

• Like Like x 1
  20. i joined Facebook in March 2004.
    i quit in May 2004.

i can't think of a bigger waste of time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1